My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at the HomeDepot web sight and comparing the 48'' plug areators both made by Brinly.The John Deere is 419.00 and the Brinly is 198.00 they look almost the same except the lift height lever is on opposite ends and the Deere tires look slightly wider.Thats a huge differance in price unless im missing something?The hitch appears to be the same.Wonder if the gauge of steel is the same?

Also those prices are with free shipping wonder if thats for a limited time or if thats always there policy.Seems like a really good deal for the Brinly.Not such a good deal for the Deere.

·
I LOVE Garden Tractors!!!
1,797 Posts
I was doing the same thing the other day. I guarantee they are made for JD by Brinly and they make slight changes to trick people. That green and yellow paint is sure expensive. The yellow must have gold specs in it.

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
I have an old Agr-Fab thats about 15-17 years old and still works like new. I throw about 160lbs of the tube sand on it when I use it. The tongue hitches on these are the weak area so if you back up and don't lift the tines out you will bend the tongue on them. slkpk

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thats what I like about the Brinly it has a V hitch rather then just a straight piece.I went to the Brinly web sight and they do make the John Deere and also Cub Cadet models.Its just hard to believe there is such a huge differance in price.They both use heat treated tines.http://www.brinly.com/lawn-care-products/aerators/plug-aerators/PA-48BH.html notice at the top you can select John Deere or Cub Cadet.There is a 50# capacity differance 200 vs 250 and more plugging spoons with the Deere.So maybe there is a differance in metal gauge thickness?

·
Registered
547 Posts
I actually did some research on aerators and was set on a Brinly as JD was way to expensive for .5 acre and semi annual use. I came across a Craftsman on clearance at Sears already assembled for $130.00. I works very well and I am pleased with it. I does seem strange that so many different manufacturers have almost identical designs. You can definately save some $$ on used with some patient surfing on CL or Ebay...

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
I have the JD aerator. To me it was well worth the extra cost. It is made from a heavier gauge steel that I can put 5 suitcase weights on and really do some plugging. Many can probably get away with a lesser duty aerator (something they will use at most 2X per year), but I aerate ~ 1.5 acres with a hill and feel the Deere quality will last a lifetime in my circumstance. :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
I also bought the Craftsman model. I have used it a number of times on many different sizes and shapes of lawns. Worked great, only problem was that it was difficult to raise from the seat when I had weight on it. No big deal on my lawn, but a real pain on my friends small lawn. I'll probably change the lift bar if I wind up doing more small lawns. I got it cheap online, also googles "sears coupons" and got another 10% off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I looked at both the Brinly and Agri-fab before I purchased the 48" JD. The JD works perfectly on my four acres. I pull it with either my JD280 or my Yanmar 1401. I bought it last Sept. and paid $325 for it.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I ran into this when looking at a trailer/cart for my machine. It looks like Brinly made them for JD. Exact same thing, except price and color.

I have a foolish question but I have never heard of anyone aerating their lawn. I am assuming this helps with water and nutrients? Can some one explain the benefits of doing this? I like a nice green grass lawn and am curious about getting an aerator if it is beneficial. Keep in mind we very rarely see 90* days and there is snow on the ground for 5+ months out of the year.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ran into this when looking at a trailer/cart for my machine. It looks like Brinly made them for JD. Exact same thing, except price and color.

I have a foolish question but I have never heard of anyone aerating their lawn. I am assuming this helps with water and nutrients? Can some one explain the benefits of doing this? I like a nice green grass lawn and am curious about getting an aerator if it is beneficial. Keep in mind we very rarely see 90* days and there is snow on the ground for 5+ months out of the year.
Yes helps with water and nutrients and also its just good to get air to the roots in the spring.I plan to areate then apply liquid fertilizer with a pull sprayer shorlty after.I am also looking for a lawn roller to help smooth out my out of control bumpy lawn.Im considering a Brinely lawn roller also.

I use to just mow the grass.But now that the city people are building houses around me and have nice lawns.I feel the need to show them up.:sidelaugh

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
Yes helps with water and nutrients and also its just good to get air to the roots in the spring.I plan to areate then apply liquid fertilizer with a pull sprayer shorlty after.I am also looking for a lawn roller to help smooth out my out of control bumpy lawn.Im considering a Brinely lawn roller also.

I use to just mow the grass.But now that the city people are building houses around me and have nice lawns.I feel the need to show them up.:sidelaugh
What kind of liquid fertilizer will you be using? slkpk

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have used a pasture grass fertilizer available at Farm&Fleet in the past.Its like a 28% type mix.Not sure what its called.I have even applied it with
2 4-D for dandolines all in one tank mix.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Good to know, I have an agri-fab poly roller that I use a couple times a year. I guess I ought to look into the aerator. I fertilize the lawn spring and fall and this may help. Only problem is with the heat, more towing duty and the weak K46 Im gonna have to tell the wife that to keep up with the Jones (most neighbors are retired and have nothing better to do than mow the lawn and wash their drive ways) I will need to get that X720 sooner than later LOL!

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
I have used a pasture grass fertilizer available at Farm&Fleet in the past.Its like a 28% type mix.Not sure what its called.I have even applied it with
2 4-D for dandolines all in one tank mix.
http://store.interstateproducts.com/products/Fertilizers
I use the 16-8-4 in the spring and the use 28% the rest of the year. I get a 30 gallon barrel filled for about $80 at FS. I mix the 28% 2 gallons to 40 gallons of water and seems to do good. I can't remember what size spray tips I'm using off hand. I also use the 2-4-D. slkpk

·
Registered
227 Posts
I just used my brinley 48" for the first time yesterday. Worked great. Left very nice plugs behind. I got it onsale at homedepot.com for $130 with free shipping.
It worked much better than I had expected.

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
I just used my brinley 48" for the first time yesterday. Worked great. Left very nice plugs behind. I got it onsale at homedepot.com for $130 with free shipping.
It worked much better than I had expected.
Ditto.. (even bought from same store at same price). My review with lots of pics is over here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.