My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's been awhile since I posted anything on this site, have been very busy. I have been using the 48" Berco snowblower for 3 seasons now on my Husqvarna YTH2454 and have been happy with it with the exception of the electric winch setup.

I went through 3 winches due to the design. The first year the winch melted due to the muffler blowing directly on the winch and the winch cable also broke several times due to stress. To stop the winch from melting again I installed a heat shield, the new winch was replaced under warranty. This lasted for the remaining winter, however cables had to be replaced several times.

The second year, the winch lasted for a while, but due to stress, it finally broke, I convinced Berco to replace it under warranty as the warranty ended one month earlier. So this being the 3rd winch I decided to modify the setup so there would be less stress on the winch and cable.

Here's some pics..
This is the original setup as you can see the winch cable is on a down angle almost parallel, thus causing stress on both cable and winch.

I had the original brush guard, so I decide to use this as the frame for the winch pulley

I bolted this in place at the bottom and used pins to lock into position for the top, this was I can lower to open the hood.

I tried it on the snow blade and it worked great. No stress on cable or the bar. Plowed snow with no problems.

To attach to the snowblower, I had to find a place to put a hook to raise as I could not use the original hookup on the blower as the cable would hit the pulleys, so I used a Jeep Tailgate hinge pin and bolted to side of blower.

I then added a easy hook rated at 1000lbs to lift blower.

The shute handle just clears the brush guard :fing20: (forgot about this part)

I tested the winch for raising and lowering, worked great, no more stress on the cable and I could see no major stress on the brush guard. Only had a chance to use the snowblower once this winter so far, but it worked great. I'm also able to raise the blower higher than before.

·
Premium Member
9,366 Posts
I can't wait to get home to see your pictures (blocked at work). Too bad about the lift. I tried to make one myself for this winter but I can not find a place on my tractor to mount a 3000 lb winch that won't interfere with something else. I would give a call to Berco if you have more trouble. It sounds like a design flaw to me. They really ought to back their usually outstanding products.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
What's breaking? The winch or the cable? If it's the cable go get a 2" strap and put on there. Cables will bind with continuous back-n-forth movement like that and eventually break. Straps won't because they don't bind. A lot of Bas boat makers use straps on the trailer winches instead of cables. Good Luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't wait to get home to see your pictures (blocked at work). Too bad about the lift. I tried to make one myself for this winter but I can not find a place on my tractor to mount a 3000 lb winch that won't interfere with something else. I would give a call to Berco if you have more trouble. It sounds like a design flaw to me. They really ought to back their usually outstanding products.
Berco has admitted to the design flaw. They made a fix on the winch by changing the bushings from plastic to metal, so it no longer melts, but they have not come up with a fix to the way the blower lifts by the cable

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's breaking? The winch or the cable? If it's the cable go get a 2" strap and put on there. Cables will bind with continuous back-n-forth movement like that and eventually break. Straps won't because they don't bind. A lot of Bas boat makers use straps on the trailer winches instead of cables. Good Luck.
Both the winch and cable were breaking. You could hear the stress on the cable and winch when lifting blower. The cable is basically pulling and raising the blower upwards instead of just raising. Now with this setup , there is no stress and you don't hear the winch screaming.

·
Registered
163 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pfrenet - I was thinking of getting this set up with the plow which I found on the Sears site, http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_01201444000P?prdNo=5&blockNo=5&blockType=G5

Is this worth it or should I just get the regular 24414 plow from Sears for my GT-5000? I like the electric winch set up,I just do not want to have any issues.
If you just plan on using just a plow, this electric winch works great. There is minimal weight to the plow so the winch was able to lift easily, it was only an issue with the snowblower due to the weight and the location of the winch cable hookup.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hello pfrenet: It's getting close to that season again! I'm just wondering. How much farther approx does the winch lift your blower? Mine with the handle is maybe 4". Not enough if I want to load the tractor on my trailer. I bought a $42 winch at Canadian Tire this week and am thinking of riging it up for my blower. :thanku:

·
Registered
2 Posts
pfrenet,
I purchased a 2018 Husqvarna TS-348D (Kohler engine) from a dealer this spring then found a Husqvarna 42" electric lift blower at Lowes that was a steal. I just finished the snowblower installation and found the same thing you did with things getting hot near the winch. So I guess the Berco and Husqvarna winch design and location are very similar. Mine was getting so hot that the split-loom tube used for wire covering melted (left side), as did one of the limit switch connectors (right side). These are on opposite sides of the winch. The winch was too hot to touch. The black paint on the mounting plate burned off.

My observation is this. Husqvarna's exhaust deflector/muffler deflector is the culprit. Example muffler and deflector shown. It directs the exhaust forward, directly into the vertical plate behind my winch. The hot exhaust rolls underneath the plate and then up to the winch. The hot exhaust also goes sideways to the wiring and connectors.

I made a temporary deflector extension that slipped between the muffler and the defector. The extension went down and forward under the winch to about its midpoint. I also bent the sides of the extension down about 3/4" on each side to keep the exhaust from going sideways. Overall, the horizontal width was about 1-3/4". It worked quite well while I was out mowing this weekend until I got into some grass. As a prototype it proved the concept. I need to check the flow forward to the snowblower to ensure I'm not going to burn belts.

Alternately, I removed the factor deflector and am looking at redirecting the exhaust at about 45 degrees to the side by rotating and reattaching the deflector.

I'll circle back in about a week to let you know what my observations are.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also just purchased a new 2018 husky TS354XD garden tractor looking for a snowblower attachment and cab for winter been looking heavily at the 44” Bercomac snowblower seemed like the husky blowers didn’t have as much to offer as the Bercomac blowers

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have had the Berco NE package for the last 3 winters. 48" electric lift with soft cab, rear weights and 4 link chains on a GT54LS. Very well built and really throws the snow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Berco is only 40" and is attached to a John Deere D140, but I also had winch problems. The bearings on the first failed, and last month the cable snapped from the very high load the design causes. In researching, I found that Berco used a pulley and hitch approach to reduce the load. Berco did not have a sub-assembly for my model with this upgrade, so I made my own version.

In the first photo you can see the small Blue Hawk swivel-eye pulley purchased at Lowes in the same deparment where you buy the steel cable. You also see that I reused the chain link used to attach the cable to the snowblower and connected it to the pulley using two cable loops. It is important to make the cable loop connector as short as possible.

The second photo shows the hitch point that I added by extending the back mounting bolt up using a nut on the top and bottom of the mounting plates. I put a washer at the top of the extended bolt so the cable loop could not come off. You have to look carefully under the spindle of the winch to see the hitch point. I also moved the cable to come from the top side of the winch instead of the bottom. There is no interference with the cables, although the winch cover needs to be tilted slightly up to prevent the cable from rubbing on it.

The last two photos show the snowblower in the down and up positions. You can see that the pulley does not move far, and that is mostly because of the design angle for lifting (which is the reason for the high loads on the winch).

I have been using this new design for a month now and the pulley seems to holding up fine. This was my main concern, as it is a small pulley with a rated working load of 420 lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
373 Posts
That’s a pretty narrow pulling angle judging by the last two pics. A lot of the winch force is pulling back instead of up. If you could get a more vertical pull, there would be a lot less stress on cable and winch.

·
Premium Member
3,103 Posts
Doesn't matter much about vertical vs horizontal, what's more important is where the winch cable attaches to the blower, relative to where the point is that the blower rotates around.

If it's similar to the mounting setup that my Berco 48" brush has, moving the power where the winch attaches to the blower higher up would increase the distance to the rotation point, so it would take less power from the winch to raise it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I also just purchased a new 2018 husky TS354XD garden tractor looking for a snowblower attachment and cab for winter been looking heavily at the 44” Bercomac snowblower seemed like the husky blowers didn’t have as much to offer as the Bercomac blowers
Agree, the Husqvarna blowers I believe are built by AgriFab and painted orange. I wasn't impressed and went with the Berco NE package.

·
That Guy
1,082 Posts
You know, I did so much research before buying my Berco blower- and I don't believe I ever saw this thread. The machine is an absolute beast, when I can actually use it. I've gone through a number of belts, I've replaced the winch cable, and now my winch has failed. Oh, and I found a crack in one of the welds. The machine would be on it's second winter if it was working.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i just had my winch cable fray to the point where it needs to be replaced. i havent taken the winch off the sub frame yet so this question may be very obvious once i get it off, but look at the cable it looks like it runs threw the winch drum and then where? how does it let go to replace it ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts