My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Proud JD Owner
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As detailed in another thread, I THOUGHT I got a good deal on some used equipment. As I've been able to inspect what I bought a little more, I think I got ripped off! I won't go into the ugly details except to say I'm really feeling like a chump! :(

It appears that the short driveshaft on the blower is not the right one and it is damaged to boot. (I think the idiot PO angled the blower and damaged the driveshaft) This driveshaft seems to be too long, and can only be connected before the blower is connected to the QH. If you do not connect the driveshaft first, there's not enough clearance to connect it once the blower is on the QH.

With the blower lowered on the ground, there's less than an inch of slip-joint left before the driveshaft is completely compressed. (see the first pic below) If I raise the blower all the way with the PTO engaged it makes a horrible noise, because clearly the driveshaft is binding. Here's my questions:

1. The driveshaft has no part number on it that I can find. How do I identify it?
2. If you one 47" MO47SBX snowblower and you had an 4x5 tractor with the old hitch, and an x7xx tractor with a new hitch, would the driveshafts be the same length or different?

I really could use some good advice here.

Thanks,
Mach-1

Attachments

·
lexmark
944 Posts
Not sure if this helps but if i lift my 47 blower all the way with the pto on it too will make a horrible noise i have had very little luck getting an answer for this ..a lot of members seem to expierence the same issue and most just seem to accept it? ? But my drive shaft shows no damage

·
Proud JD Owner
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure if this helps but if i lift my 47 blower all the way with the pto on it too will make a horrible noise i have had very little luck getting an answer for this ..a lot of members seem to expierence the same issue and most just seem to accept it? ? But my drive shaft shows no damage
Thanks! At least I'm not the only one with the 'noise'! The damage on the shaft is from angling the blower. I found the corresponding dings on the upstop to match the driveshaft.

·
Proud JD Owner
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, so I visited the Deere dealer this morning. I most definitely have the wrong driveshaft. They were able to verify that the correct driveshaft is about an inch shorter than the one I have right now.

Since the QH is off a 4x5, I had them check a driveshaft for a 455. It is shorter too. I don't know what the driveshaft I have goes to, but I do know it does not belong on there. It was cheaper to order the complete implement drive and upstop kit versus ordering the driveshaft by itself.

I will be calling the PO once the total bill comes in and ask if he'd like to share the cost. I'm sure he will tell me to go fly but it doesn't cost anything to make a phone call.

·
Deere Guru
505 Posts
You still got a pretty good deal, IMO.

·
Proud JD Owner
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You still got a pretty good deal, IMO.
Yeah...you're right. It's just a bummer that what was represented as "needing nothing" and "ready to go" needs more than $400 worth of parts. At least I've been through everything now, so there will be no more surprises.

·
Proud JD Owner
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just wanted to update this thread. After much hassle & research, I have my driveshaft problem solved. I knew the driveshaft I had was too long, but I didn't know why. I do now!

Apparently, if you use a 4X5 Quick-Hitch (BM17347) on an X7XX tractor, then you also need to use a 4X5 Implement Drive and Upstop Kit. (BM20871) I can't find any "official" documentation anywhere supporting this, but I have mine assembled and running with this driveshaft, so I know it's true.

First, my dealer ordered the X7XX Implement Drive & Upstop Kit (BM23236) for me, and that kit had the same length driveshaft that I already had. I think the PO of this equipment hodge-podged this package together, and his dealer sold him the wrong driveshaft the same way mine did to me.

I took it back and had them get me the 4X5 driveshaft kit. This driveshaft fits properly, and has plenty of slip-joint without bottoming out or binding or making the dreaded "noise" when you raise the blower all the way with the PTO engaged. I'm glad the problem is solved, just dissappointed that I had to figure it out for myself and that my dealer could not figure it out for me.

Pic1 below shows BM17347 (4X5) hitch with the BM23236 (X7XX) driveshaft. As you can see, there's less than an inch of slip joint left to fully compress the driveshaft. The blower is sitting on the ground in this picture.

Pic2 below shows BM17347 (4X5) hitch with the BM20871 (4X5) driveshaft. There's plenty of slip joint left on this driveshaft with the blower is sitting on the ground.

I hope someone finds this info helpful.

Attachments

·
MTF mile high club member
5,919 Posts
Glad you got it figured out. How much is left on the shaft slide when the hitch is all the way down (front wheels in the air)? Is the shaft slide still "loose" or is it tight up against the set screw stop?

·
Proud JD Owner
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad you got it figured out. How much is left on the shaft slide when the hitch is all the way down (front wheels in the air)? Is the shaft slide still "loose" or is it tight up against the set screw stop?
I like the way you think!:fing32: Yes, I did check that actually, very carefully. I disconnected the shaft, raised her up, and checked it. Perfect, there's more than enough slip joint left with the front wheels in the air all the way up.

·
MTF mile high club member
5,919 Posts
I like the way you think!:fing32: Yes, I did check that actually, very carefully. I disconnected the shaft, raised her up, and checked it. Perfect, there's more than enough slip joint left with the front wheels in the air all the way up.
:thThumbsU

·
Registered
44 Posts
Does anyone know if this means the 4WD tractors like the X5X5 would require the newer hitch because only one length PTO shaft is available?

·
Registered
44 Posts
For clarification, I'm wondering if a newer hitch (bm19782) is required/preferred for a 4wd model with a bm22560 PTO shaft kit or will the older bm17347 hitch with the 4wd PTO?

I'm concerned because unlike the 2wd versions, there's only one current part number for a 4wd PTO shaft kit. I have a similar question posted in another thread on hitches and will link the two or start a new thread if I figure out the answer.

·
Proud JD Owner
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For clarification, I'm wondering if a newer hitch (bm19782) is required/preferred for a 4wd model with a bm22560 PTO shaft kit or will the older bm17347 hitch with the 4wd PTO?

I'm concerned because unlike the 2wd versions, there's only one current part number for a 4wd PTO shaft kit. I have a similar question posted in another thread on hitches and will link the two or start a new thread if I figure out the answer.

You're confusing driveshafts. This thread dealt specifically with getting the correct implement driveshaft, which is the short driveshaft that actually runs the blower. This short driveshaft stays attached to the blower.

You're talking about the 2000 RPM mid-PTO driveshaft.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thank you for the clarification! That was my next question.

I've now have all pieces but the PTO kit and upstop/implement shaft. I'm hoping the implement shaft that came with the blower and a 4100 hitch fits but doubt it.

This thread is very useful for showing the implement shaft needs to match the hitch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts