My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I wanted to make sure my new to me snowblower is setup correctly for my application. I have a smooth concrete drive way. How should the skids be adjusted? The previous owner welded on another set of skids to make extra wide ones too. Thanks!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I always adjusted mine by using a piece of lathing. I believe it's about an 1/8 inch. I have a good condition asphalt driveway. Works with n ok problems. Loosened the skids put bottom of bucket down on the lathing and then adjusted the skids to touch the garage floor and tightened them.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I always adjusted mine by using a piece of lathing. I believe it's about an 1/8 inch. I have a good condition asphalt driveway. Works with n ok problems. Loosened the skids put bottom of bucket down on the lathing and then adjusted the skids to touch the garage floor and tightened them.
^^^ What he said. I've used a yard stick in the past as well. With the machine and blower on a smooth level surface, lower the blower until the cutting edge rests on the yard stick and then adjust the skids to touch the floor. The OEM skids do not have the same range of adjustment as some of the aftermarket skids available. If you cannot get the proper adjustment with the skids inside the housing, move them to outside the housing. Either position will work.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
When I used a 47 blower or 54 blade I took the skid shoes off and put them on the shelf. Scraper bar cleaned right down to the asphalt and all was well. I see no reason for skids shoes on a paved drive if you know where any obstacles are. Why leave 1/8 of snow when you can do better? Just my opinion, and everyone gets one.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I adjust mine the same as the first three people with an air gap. It still cleans pretty well. My driveway is far from smooth with all the uneven joints and cracks it has so running straight on the bar is not an option as it catches really hard.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Cardboard works well too! It compresses and I would estimate it leaves about 1/8 gap also. It does not leave a layer behind when blowing and just puts less scraping on your drive.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm using a piece of vinyl flooring to set the gap on mine. I cut the plank to fit in between the shoes under the scraper, it's 7mm thick so a little over 1/4". I use it to set the height on my walk behind blower as well, cleans the driveway perfectly for me. I may lower the skid shoes once I get into the heart of winter but this last storm it scraped pretty clean.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts