My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was at the dealer this spring ordering new belts for my 332 when I bought it I ordered a new belt for my 332/47 blower combo. I just tried to hook it up today and the belt isn't even close. I looked on a parts diagram and it shows a second pulley bolted onto the PTO. I had my 47 blower on my 318 and don't recall having a second pully on the PTO. The parts diagram also said the 318 belt was correct and the new belt I got for my 332 was correct too. Is the second pulley only for the 322 and 332? Help from someone who has this setup please.

On top of that the alignment of the engine pulley and the blower pulley don't even look close to the same angle. The blower pulley is straight up and down and the motor pulley looks like the top is tilted back. And it looks like even if I put a second pulley was on the motor it looks like it would stick too far out. The front of the engine pulley looks like it is in line with the middle of the blower pulley. Do I have the correct hitch or is there a different one for the 332 vs the 318?

Also Is the second pulley smaller than the main engine pulley and is this going to slow my blower down? It looks smaller in the diagram.

BTW the front tires are off because I am in the process of mounting the new tires I just got for it. Photos to follow on another thread I have already started.

Thanks.

P218

Attachments

·
Citizen of Earth
15,298 Posts
I've only ever mounted the blower on a 316, so I am of no help other than to bump this one up again.

·
Lawn Boys Never Die
2,049 Posts
I have a 47" blower on my 318, but it is the newer style with the quick hitch. The pic u posted in the lower right corner is the pto set-up needed for the quick hitch set-up. I thought the 318 and the 332 would be the same hook-up, they are the same frame wise, but we are talking two different motors, Onan gas vs. Yanmar diesel, so I am not familar with the pto set-up on the 332.
My guess would be that you need a different pulley. Some 332 owners shoud be chiming in soon. Do you have the stuff in the last pic?? The belt goes from the engine down to the lower pulley which hooks to a pto shaft. I could get some pics of my 318. I dont have the blower on it right now, but all the pto stuff and quick hitch is on it.

·
Lawn Boys Never Die
2,049 Posts
Here is a pic, looks like you need the siver pulley in the pic then the belt would reach. Let me know if u need any other pics.

Attachments

·
THE TRACTOR HUNTER
2,225 Posts
My 318 or 140 don't need an extra small pulley on the front of the PTO to mount up the 47" blower. I wonder why yours isn't lining up. It should be the same for the 140-332.

·
MTF Member
255 Posts
I had a 318 with 47 blower (older style). I just walked into my local JD dealer and told him what I needed and it was right. I did not need any extra pulley either. I hope someone can give you the answer.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So after spending about 4 hours on the phone with different Deere dealers in my area I was more confused than when I started. I was told by one that I needed the pulley but they could not tell me if it was specific to the 322 and 332 and not the 318. They told me the pulley was $150. I called another dealer and they said they think I need the pulley but they will not guarentee it. They said it is a special order part, $120, that cannot be returned. I was a little bit frustrated that I spent so much time on the phone and nobody could answer my question. I don't mind spending the money if I can guarentee it is right; but not if I am going to get stuck with a part that I don't need, for a mere $120-150. So after wasting too much time I don't have, I got upset.....

I decided that the belt wasn't too long to get it onto it the pulleys. Well it worked, I guess. I mean I got the belt on it but I am not confident that it is the correct setup. I am still wondering if I am doing something wrong or not. I mean this belt is TIGHT. I rolled it onto the pulleys by hand but it is far tighter than my 318 ever was. My concern is that is pulling too hard on the PTO and bearings on the front of the motor. I have not had a chance to try it out because I am changing out the tires right now and don't feel safe starting the blower on jackstands. I am still looking for someone that has a 47 blower on a 322 or 332. I guess if I don't hear from someone who has this setup I will tell everyone what happens when I start it up.

BTW thank you all for bumping this up and responding, that is why this is such a great site. Even if you don't have the answer you try to get it for the person asking.

Thanks

P218

·
Registered
148 Posts
P218,

I don't have any advice. Although, this thread (posted this A.M.) has the same combination that you are having troubles with: 332/47 Combo

Hopefully, coalminer16 can offer you some good advice.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have an old style 47 blower (for sale) that came off of a 322. It mounted right up to my 318 (which I have sold). The only difference was the belt was a different size for the 318 and 322. Now that being said, you want to know about the 332 diesel. The only difference between the 332 and the 322 is one is a diesel and one gas. Same engine. On the 322 that my blower came off of the big pulley was the only pulley on the engine. Same as my 318. Hope this helps.............

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have an old style 47 blower (for sale) that came off of a 322. It mounted right up to my 318 (which I have sold). The only difference was the belt was a different size for the 318 and 322. Now that being said, you want to know about the 332 diesel. The only difference between the 332 and the 322 is one is a diesel and one gas. Same engine. On the 322 that my blower came off of the big pulley was the only pulley on the engine. Same as my 318. Hope this helps.............
It makes me feel better about forcing the belt onto the pulley but it still raises the question....why do they show a second pulley if it is not needed. Miller17636 had one on his. Am I running a different blower than Miller was that does not require a second pulley?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I had a model 49 on my 332, but it only had one upper pulley.It definitely had a different belt than I had on my 318 , different position of the PTO on the diesel.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had a model 49 on my 332, but it only had one upper pulley.It definitely had a different belt than I had on my 318 , different position of the PTO on the diesel.
Yah the belt I got on there was the belt said for the 332. The 318 belt was way too long when I tried it.

·
Lawn Boys Never Die
2,049 Posts
It makes me feel better about forcing the belt onto the pulley but it still raises the question....why do they show a second pulley if it is not needed. Miller17636 had one on his. Am I running a different blower than Miller was that does not require a second pulley?

Thanks
p218, I have the newer 47" blower, see pic, so u might not need the second pulley. Sounds like u might have it worked out. I hope it works for u!! :thThumbsU

Attachments

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
You need the belt for the 47 "old" style 47 blower (which is what you have, and I use to have). The one in the diagram is the new style with quick hitch (which I use to have too.). The dealer is looking up the wrong 47" blower. Give them the serial number. You should not need the small pulley for your blower. That pulley comes with the PTO kit for the quick hitch.

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
JD Parts is doesn't have breakdown of what you need. Here is the section for your blower (old style), but it doesn't include the belt. When you click on the belt section - it takes you to the new style.

MP9797_________UN01JAN94.jpg

Probably going to have to measure the length you need and just buy a belt the right length. I really good parts guy could figure it out. Make them show you the diagram that they are looking at so you can point out why it is wrong. They will know how to find it (if they are good)

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Wow, can't believe the trouble you are having with this. I have a 332 with an old style 47 snow blower. I walked in and asked for a 332 belt for a 47 blower. Then I bought the blower and mounted it up. Only thing I had to do was adjust the sliding plate to get the right tension. No other pulleys were needed. And if I did get a smaller pulley I would worry if the blower would go fast enough anyways with that. It would have more power but less speed for the blowing. And the 47 I bought came from a 318. Hope this helps. I just posted some pictures of my rig and a thread but I can take more if you need.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 47 blower on a 332. I just got it mounted about two weeks ago. I only have one pulley on the front of the motor and the pulleys line up perfectly. I did not get a belt from the PO of the snow blower, so I had to make about 4 trips to my local Advance Auto Parts store to get the correct belt. I think it was 40½" that I ended up with.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You need the belt for the 47 "old" style 47 blower (which is what you have, and I use to have). The one in the diagram is the new style with quick hitch (which I use to have too.). The dealer is looking up the wrong 47" blower. Give them the serial number. You should not need the small pulley for your blower. That pulley comes with the PTO kit for the quick hitch.
That makes sense as to why it shows what it shows. Thanks esnb.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts