My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
knifer94
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 4600 that leaks power steering fluid out the top of the housing at the steering wheel. i have put two new seals in it and they last a while then start leaking again. the shaft dose not seam to have a groove worn in it. the tractor has less than 700 original hours on it. any help. thanks, david

·
1981 Ford 1100 4WD
880 Posts
Just to clarify, the power steering fluid comes out just under the steering wheel, not down by the steering box?

The seal you replaced, isit the one at the bottom of the steering shaft, near the steering box?

·
knifer94
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, it is leaking under the steering wheel around the steering colum. the seal i replaced is the one on the steering shaft at the gear box where the shaft comes up to the steering wheel. david

·
1981 Ford 1100 4WD
880 Posts
Have you looked closely at the old seals, when you remove them, to see why they were leaking? I've replaced this seal on a Ford 2000 and it did the trick. So if yours is leaking again I would look for why they leak. Also check to make sure it's installed in the correct orientation, I don't remember if you can install it backwards.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts