My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all,
I just tried to use my 455 and the engine, when going uphill only, spits and sputters and acts like it is going to die....but barely keeps running. I can position the tractor level and after a minute it will start running properly again. It is completely full of fuel. It has been setting in the shelter for a month or so, but not in the elements. I have taken the fuel cap off and it still does the same thing. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I've never heard of this particular issue with a little diesel. But, it's clearly a fuel problem. I would drain and clean the filter. Then pull the lift pump from the tank and clean that sock filter. And check the pump operation while it's out. The problem is almost certainly in one of those areas.

To pull the pump, it will be necessary to pull the fender pan, but it's not a big job.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All good starting points, thanks for the ideas. I have over 2200 hours on this machine, so I guess its due a little attention..lol I will let ya'll know what I find when I can get it in the shop.

·
Registered
340 Posts
You should just give up on your 455 and drive it over to my place, its all down hill from NC to MN.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Once you change the filter, I would look at the injectors and see if one of the lines has a crack or maybe some sort of leak that is letting air. It sounds like you have the issue when putting a load on the engine by going up hill. Does it do it when you on drive on level ground but are doing work like pushing snow? It could simply be water in your tank too. How long has that fuel been in the tank? You might have built up some condensation. You may want to try some of the additive that removes water from diesel fuel and see if that makes a difference. That should be fairly cheap and easy to do.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK...I am baffled...which isn't that surprising...lol I have the fuel pump disconnected and the tractor has been sitting there running for the last 20 minutes.

With the pump connected I am getting 12 volts to the fuel pump's connector under the pan, but the pump isn't running. So I guess the pump is probably bad, although I will pull it out and check it before I order one.

I had no idea the 455 would sit and run without the pump hooked up, can anyone explain this??? Is it just a siphon effect?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Yes, they will run with no load on the injector pump only. But, it can't 'suck' enough fuel to support a load on the engine. That's where the lift pump comes in. And, lack of that is likely why yours wouldn't run uphill. The tank was lower than the pump and the engine was loaded due to the uphill travel.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the explanation antiqueetc....the world makes sense again! (well, this part of it) I had no idea that the injector pump could suck enough fuel from the tank to keep it running without the fuel pump.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions guy and gals....I think we have put this one to bed!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update.....I installed a new fuel pump and it will not run either. Prior to buying the pump I checked to insure that I had 12 volts going to the contacts on the old pump when the switch is in the run position. I thought that this was verifying that it should work. (and normally it would) Since the new pump also failed to work I hooked up my old pump to an external 12 volt source and it runs fine. This sent me looking for what could cause the 12 volts on the tractor to not run the pump. I went back and searched the previous forum posts and found one about the fuse being blown. Well I knew the fuse couldn't be blown in mine because I have 12 volts at the pump. I pulled it out anyway to check it and the contact blades were corroded terribly! It was allowing me to see 12 volts but the corosion was not allowing enough current to pass thru to run the motor. Cleaned the socket and fuse and now everything works fine!
Oh Well...guess who has and extra fuel pump!
Sorry about the long explanation but I wanted to make sure that I gave enough info to help anyone else who may encounter this problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the exact same issue today with the exact same fix. I correctly guessed that the primary ("lift") fuel pump was not working, but did not think to check the fuse until I read this thread. The fuse looked OK, but dirty. I tried to clean it, but ended up breaking it. I replaced it and it ran great. Thanks guys for saving me a huge headache.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts