My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Guys I sold my 318 for a dream 455 last week and found a 1 owner low hour 455 I had to have. Anyway when out out playing with it today I noticed hydro oil on the mower deck. Couldn't see where it was coming from so pulled the massive 60 in deck out to get a better look and found a loose and leaking steering line at the pump end. Its the one my finger is pointing at. The hard line above it has some wiggle too but not as bad. I am guessing these ends has I rings that fail and then cause said leak right? Also it is a pain to get a 1/2 anything up there on the bolts do i need a wobble extension? Of course I cant find mine. Does the center Allen come out too? Will a new o ring fix this?

Thanks
Chris
20200520_164832.jpg
20200520_164855.jpg

·
Registered
213 Posts
There are 5 O-Rings there and it is a pain to get at. I believe there are two different part numbers for the O-Rings and you need two of one and three of the others. I changed mine about 4-5 years ago, a wobble socket and extensions are your friend. I don't think the allen has to be removed, just two bolts. Change them all, they are the same age as the failed one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the fast reply. Good point on changing them all. At work we have access to all sizes of O rings. I'll he them off and size them up soon. And also I will source a wobble extension. Thanks again!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I believe they are metric O-Rings, not the standard dash O-Rings. I replaced mine and picked up a spare set for the next time, I expect to keep my 445 for another 20-25 years so I wanted spares.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to know man thank you! Same here with my 455 she wont be going anywhere anytime soon.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Look at all your lines carefully. I had to replace one of them on mine when I replaced the o-rings. The end that was sweated on was loose. Sometimes the line is cracked.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Look at all your lines carefully. I had to replace one of them on mine when I replaced the o-rings. The end that was sweated on was loose. Sometimes the line is cracked.
Good idea I will inspect closer tomorrow thank you!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If there was someone reading this post/thread that was wanting the 425 , 445, 455 technical/service manual (tm1517 )
I could point you in the direction of how you can acquire said manual ;). Direct message me if you have further questions.
Will be sending you a DM...

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I just replaced all 5 on my 455. They take #013 O ring. I bought a pack of ten from the parts store for just under $10.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just replaced all 5 on my 455. They take #013 O ring. I bought a pack of ten from the parts store for just under $10.

Sounds good. Ok good to know the size. I might just have those at work. If not either I'll get the Deere ones or run to a Napa auto or the like.

Any of you guys who replaced the O rings have loose lines? My line is loose and has a wiggle under the plate that holds the lines on. I guess if the O ring is completely gone it could wiggle. Just hoping for an easy fix like we all do. The plate looks tight but couldn't get a socket on to check without a wobble extension.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
You'll need a 1/2" wobble socket. There isn't enough room to get a socket and wobble joint up in there. It's tight with just a wobble socket. The reason I changed mine was that I had to replace one of the lines.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got a socket up there and the bolts are tight as **** so no easy fix. I also on closer inspection found a few hoses that have rubbed the rubber away and just starting to have metal showing just a little. One is the left steering hose and the other is the hose that runs to the back trans axle. I also am concerned the entire steering pump unit is actually leaking too from the top down. I see new they are over $700. Hopefully its just from the 5 o rings. I ordered new Deere o rings. Now looks like I maybe should grab new hoses too that or just tape them up and run em. They are not lea leaking. My local Deere dealer is 3 weeks backed up and at least a $400 job for hoses and o rings. Just my luck I finally get a 455 and cant even use it.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Tape them up, and run 'em. Tie them out of the way so they aren't rubbing on anything.

The steering unit is rebuildable, and it's probably just a seal that is leaking anyway.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tape them up, and run 'em. Tie them out of the way so they aren't rubbing on anything.

The steering unit is rebuildable, and it's probably just a seal that is leaking anyway.
Thanks yeah I think for now I will run the hoses they are not broke yet all the way thru. I will put all new O rings on the 5 lines going into the steering unit pump control. At least 2 out of the 5 are loose so hoping that is the cause of the oil all over.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is it true the 2 hard lines don't come out easy and need to come apart down the line elsewhere?

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
If the rigid lines don't have some flex to them somewhere, probably gonna have to loosen some brackets to get them to pull back. You REALLY don't want to bend those lines......

1 - 19 of 19 Posts