My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Quick question... I've done a bit of searching but can't come up with anything. I'm new to diesels, so I don't have any experience in this area..

I've had my "new to me" 455 for 5 days now. I have yet to see the glow plug light illuminate when I turn the key on the tractor. I've turned the key to the "on" position and waited about 8 seconds if the tractor has sitting overnight, just as a precaution.. Never had any issues with starts, it always fires right up.

Is a preheat not necessary due to the warm summer temperatures, or should I at least expect to see the light after the tractor has for hours/a day?

Thanks in advance!
Scott

·
10,739 Posts
The light may be the culprit. Make sure its quiet when you fire it up. Turn the key, and wait to hear a 'click' after a few seconds. If you hear a click or clunk without touching anything, thats the glow plugs cycling off. I have no experience with the smaller diesels, so I'm not sure how much noise the glow plugs make, but on bigger equipment, you can hear them from inside a cab.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The fuel shutoff is the only thin I hear when I turn the key on. It might be that your light bulb is burnt out. With a volt meter see if you have 12volts at the glow plug when you turn the key on.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys... I'll give it a shot!

·
Registered
53 Posts
On my 99 455 the light stays lit up for a few seconds if the machine is cool (first start of the day) before I turn the key to fire it up. After it has been ran in warm weather it normally does not even come on for another start situation unless it's been sitting for quite a while. If it's warm, I don't think it really matters if you wait for them to cycle or not, cold conditions are different obviously.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
There is a glow plug controller that senses the temp and adjusts the glow plug time accordingly. I agree - check the GP's and see if they are coming on and going off at a cold start.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will do.. I'll give them a check tomorrow. Do you think it's possible that it's been warm enough out that the controller hasn't sensed a need? Or should I always at least see some indication if it's been sitting overnight, no matter what the ambient temperature? The tractor has always fired right up.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Will do.. I'll give them a check tomorrow. Do you think it's possible that it's been warm enough out that the controller hasn't sensed a need? Or should I always at least see some indication if it's been sitting overnight, no matter what the ambient temperature? The tractor has always fired right up.
It's possible. Yanmars always start so well anyway, I've often just forgotten the light and started them. Never a problem.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fixed! Sometimes it's the easiest answer.. I pulled the instrument panel, swapped the rear PTO light with the glow plug indicator and bingo. Worked like a charm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts