My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to use the free wheeling lever to push the 455 in the garage the other day. Could using this free wheeling lever lead to an oil leak if you run the engine and the lever is not returned to the correct position? I seem to have developed a leak and it looks like it may be coming from that area of the trans, its hard to tell. Also, what is the correct position for this lever to be in when you are using the tractor (not free wheeling). I really cant remember where the lever was before I touched it. There looks like there is a sort of flange that sticks out of the chasis, the free wheeling lever has to be pulled away from the chasis to move it above or below this flange. Where should I leave the lever, above or below this flange? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
On the 4X5 series the freewheel lever pushes two pins in on the top side of the tranny. Has a pivot on the top of each framerail. It doesnt go into the tranny. So it probably isnt the cause of the leak.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I pushed the tractor about 10 feet, it didnt leak before I did that. The leak seems to be somewhere high and right of center, I will keep an eye on it. I now have the lever
below that flange thing and pointing down. Anyone know if thats right position to keep it in?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Wfburton is right on. I've attached a picture of the top of the release lever. All it does is depress two valves which when depressed willl bypass the drive.

With the lever DOWN, you will be in Drive,
With the lever UP, you will be free wheeling..

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm no expert, but, had a leak on my 455, in "about that general area", which ended up being a seal on the PTO shaft, IIRC....would have to dig out my records on it, it's been 4 years ago!

Anyway, good luck with the fix!

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
I had to use the free wheeling lever to push the 455 in the garage the other day. What is the correct position for this lever to be in when you are using the tractor (not free wheeling). I really cant remember where the lever was before I touched it. There looks like there is a sort of flange that sticks out of the chasis, the free wheeling lever has to be pulled away from the chasis to move it above or below this flange. Where should I leave the lever, above or below this flange? Thanks.
I was just experimenting with the lever today, on my 445, because I never had to use it. The round end that rest against the black transmission case made a circle mark so I know where it was always resting. It is all the way down but not if you pull it out a bit then it can go down way farther. Is it supposed to be all the way down past the flange or all the way down but on top of and right against the flange? (this is where mine was)

And when free wheeling is it supposed to be free in both reverse movement and forward movement? And when not free it can't be pushed in either direction?

·
Super Moderator
44,844 Posts
Those release valves sometimes don't return to the closed position like they're supposed to and the next time you start the machine you can get some bypass out of them. In worst case they don't go back to the closed position and your machine will roll freely every time you stop the engine. They can be pulled and cleaned.

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
Per Operating Manual,

Using Free-Wheeling Lever

Important: Avoid Damage!
To prevent transaxle damage, never tow the tractor.
Only push tractor by hand.
Don not use another vehicle to push tractor.

When you need to move the tractor without starting the engine, use the free-wheeling lever.
- Pull free-wheeling control lever up.
- Unlock park brake.
- Push tractor to desired location.

Lever will return to the operating position when tractor is started and driven.

CCMoe

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Thanks guys. I read the manual. I like using the manual. I still am confused where the lever was when it came from the factory. I guess it goes above the flange because it has to be pulled out some to get back above the flange if it is below it. Just like it had to be pulled out to get above it. The original spot it was in is visible so I put it back there.

If it is above the flange (spot where it stops about halfway up the transmission case) it can go up about 4-6 inches. Then if you have it against the stop and pull it out a bit it goes over that bump and can be moved the same distance down and then back up until it hits the bump again. The same travel distance but the bump is on the top end of travel. Get it over the bump and the bottom of the travel arc is where the bump stop is.

I looked at the pictures more and I think the proper position is above that flange.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.