My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed today a constant smoke coming out of the breather hose. Light gray not real heavy but easily seen in daylight. I never saw it do this before and since this is my first diesel I'm not sure if that is normal or a sign of something serious? :dunno:

I've changed the oil twice since I bought it and the last change has less than 3 hours on it. Oil is full not overfull and already getting slightly dark.

On a probably unrelated note the tractor always misses a little bit and smokes when I first go from idle to WOT. It seems to clear up when its warmed up so I figured this is normal.

Again please forgive my ignorance :fing32:

·
Diesels are awesome!
4,449 Posts
How many hours does your tractor have? Missing when accelerating when cold usually means the glow plugs are starting to get tired. My 332 has a bad miss when cold, have to put in some new glow plugs this weekend.

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
785 and change hours Diesel.

Dan Just regular injector cleaner like you use in a car? I think I have some Chevron Techron around here somewhere.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Diesel 332.

The glow plugs shouldn't be lot after the engine running. Just to start.

And everyone will have there Own Opinion on cleaner.
I'd run stanadyne or Lucas diesel fuel injector cleaner.

A diesel isn't like gas with ignition or a butterfly valve for air intake.
It it's sputtering or hesitating when you throttle it up its lacking fuel.
Could be plugged filter and or plugged/dirty injector.
Mine did the same thing and I ended up having water on the sediment bowl and a dirty filter.

·
Diesels are awesome!
4,449 Posts
The glow plugs do not have snything to do with running, but if they don't heat the cylinder up enough when they are clicked on by the key, the engine will miss a some when its not quite warmed up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
How many hours does your tractor have? Missing when accelerating when cold usually means the glow plugs are starting to get tired. My 332 has a bad miss when cold, have to put in some new glow plugs this weekend.
The glow plugs are not on when the engine is running. They are only used for starting.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Correct - glow plugs are not on while running. However, their purpose is to heat up prior to starting such that you get healthy combustion upon start (to start) AND during the initial heat up process

If this doesn't happen, the engine might still start, but it does not run optimally. The combustion will be incomplete and cold. This means that you will have some unburnt fuel and it will take a little bit longer to get the cylinders to a temperature which promotes heathy combustion. Your compression may also improve once the cylinders heat up, so the glow plugs help to compensate for that as well.

In short, glow plugs are not just about that initial combustion to get the engine started.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how often do you all change your fuel filter on these 455s? Mine has ~1400 hrs and came to me around 1100 hrs, and I've not changed it. Knock on wood, I am not having any issues, though I do think I need to change my air filters as the minder is telling me to...

·
Registered
446 Posts
I change fluids and filters on any used equipment that I buy. After 300 hours with you, it's likely WAY overdue for a fuel filter. Instead of knocking on wood and keeping your fingers crossed, you should service everything right away when you buy a used machine then follow recommended service intervals from there.

You should also be checking the fuel/water separator (if that machine has one) regularly and draining water as needed. Also critically important is the air filter. You don't want to dust that engine. You don't wanna dust any engine but especially not a diesel because it doean't take much to lose enough compression to where you start having expen$ive problems. Like "looking at a rebuild" problems. Keep your air and fuel filters clean!

With most any diesel, the glow plugs usually stay on for several seconds AFTER the engine starts to help prevent stalling until the combustion chambers warm up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Oh, I've done all maintenance on it and I know (sort of) the service history since it had belonged to my mother who had it serviced at the local JD shop. I do need to change the air filter elements before the plowing season comes.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
keep in mind that not changing the filter will not manifest itself as a problem, until many hours go by.
The oil circuit has a bypass valve - if the filter is too plugged, the oil will flow through the bypass and you wont even know it... circulating unfiltered oil around your engine, accelerating wear, every minute of run-time in that state.
Filters are cheap. Engine rebuild is not.
Change the filter more frequently, rather than less frequently.

cheers!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts