My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Bring on old man winter.
670 Posts
Nice diesel rig jatty. Looks like it gets er done for you.:fing32:

·
Registered
868 Posts
Is it just the perspective of the image or do those weights look a bit . . . small against the massive size of your tractor?
Which by the way I am completely envious of. I'm sort of surprised you had to spend any time plowing. I'd have thought the snow wouldn't dare to land on your drive there.
Perhaps when I grow up my wife tells me.
Thanks for the pics, and yes, looks great.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
What is up with them horns? You hit something plowing or are you a transplanted Texan? :ROF:ROF:ROF

I wonder what Katt will say. It does have an emblem but I am not sure about the add on's. I used to have a set horns about like that, I should have kept them. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

I am sure with the weights on the back and the diff lock, he wouldn't need chains. The snow didn't look too deep and I do not see any ice. Good job plowing by the way and that 455 looks in great shape.

·
3K & Yet So Little to Say
3,341 Posts
Great 455 and :thanku: for the pics. BTW...love the "Boss Hogg" horns!:fing32:

·
Registered
2,065 Posts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Nice 455 you have there. :fing32: They are great tractors. Enjoy the seat time.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all of the positive comments. I was a little scared to post up some pics b/c wasn't much to them. As far as the "no chains" question, I'm in the same position as most on this forum trying to find the "perfect combo" that works for their particular situation. No chains worked fine this time, but once again their wasn't much snow and no ice. I do however think I may need some more weight and/or traction if I were to get any significant snowfall or ice accumulation.

My probelm is this- My driveway is concrete and I could care less if chains were to scratch it up. I plow my 90 year old neighbor's driveway for free (which is relatively flat), but it is blacktop/sealed driveway and I would feel TERRIBLE if I left any unwanted marks.

My thoughts of options at this point (keep the rear weights and)-
1. Wheel weights/chains/ and possibly "re-seal" of neighbor's drive in the spring
2. Wheel weights/HDAPs
3. Wheel weights/ "rubber chains"
4. Loaded Ag/bar tires?...
5. Loaded turfs/HDAPs?...
I would just hate to put some money into a set-up that won't work. Any thoughts would be great...

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts
I also have six weights and have HDAP's and chains. It is shocking how well it pushes snow and I have yet to touch the diff. lock pedal. I think next year I will try it with no chains. I know it will spin some but useing diff. lock maybe I can get by with out the chains. I have about the same slope in my drive way as you but it's tar.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Thanks for all of the positive comments. I was a little scared to post up some pics b/c wasn't much to them. As far as the "no chains" question, I'm in the same position as most on this forum trying to find the "perfect combo" that works for their particular situation. No chains worked fine this time, but once again their wasn't much snow and no ice. I do however think I may need some more weight and/or traction if I were to get any significant snowfall or ice accumulation.

My probelm is this- My driveway is concrete and I could care less if chains were to scratch it up. I plow my 90 year old neighbor's driveway for free (which is relatively flat), but it is blacktop/sealed driveway and I would feel TERRIBLE if I left any unwanted marks.

1. Wheel weights/chains/ and possibly "re-seal" of neighbor's drive in the spring
2. Wheel weights/HDAPs
I would just hate to put some money into a set-up that won't work. Any thoughts would be great...

dont waste your money on ag tires then!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Wouldn't antlers be a little more appropriate ?

Actually the blade, blower or shovel will scrape off the sealer whether you have chains or not.
I'd talk to the neighbor and ask how big of an issue it is to him before deciding what to do.

My drive is blacktop with sealer (whats left of it, after two winters ). I look at it this way- I want it cleaned so I can walk, drive or the kids can play ball on it. Looking pristine doesn't matter.

I know others have different thoughts, so finding out his concerns would be my first move. Good Luck

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
Looking SWEET. Those tires look like they are pretty aired up too. How was traction?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts

2. Wheel weights/HDAPs
I would choose #5 with all the weight I could hang on it without
chains.

I struggled with this same problem on my X720 with my slopped driveway and I'm really please with my set-up, 6 suit case weight, rims weights and fluid in both Ag's.

First time out 3" of snow no ice and it worked great.

Second and third time there was ice underneath 4" of snow, and I could blow
snow up my drive with no problem.

If I really push it going up with the blower down and running, there's a slight
slippage, then I use the diff lock.

I have Ag tires only because that's what was mounted on my slightly used rims I purchased last fall. I think HDAP's would also work well.

Like I preach, use lots of weight especially without chains and you can't go wrong even on slops.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.