My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local dealer has to order it.....totals about $63.00 once taxes are added.

Anyone know an aftermarket replacement for it (06172-ZG8-L20).

Just ordered two deck spindles @ $76 each. I love the durabilty of this machine, but it sure hurts for parts when they do need replacement.

·
Registered
129 Posts

Just ordered two deck spindles @ $76 each. I love the durabilty of this machine, but it sure hurts for parts when they do need replacement.
I was pondering a K&N. Once you take off the filter it's just a small circular throat to the carb. Think eBay CAI, but miniature :)

·
Registered
263 Posts

Google the part number; lots of USA-based dealers discount parts, but it may be $$$ to have them shipped to Canada.

·
Free 4518 user
70 Posts
I am rebuilding a 46" deck for my 4518. It had one seized spindle. Pressed, and pulled it apart with a hydraulic press. All six bearings for the spindles only cost $18, and about an hour and a half to change out.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, did that two years ago. At that time the gauge on press showed 30 tons before it popped. Bottom of that spindle is squat a tiny bit and the hole on the lower blade won't fit over itthe way it should.

So Sunday I decided to sharpen blades before I installed deck....got bolt quarter way out and then it seized. Needless to say I ended breaking it off. Managed to drill into it and get an easy out into it.....heated several times...broke off the easy out....tried to drill that out....long story short....it is now completely fu......

So as I was nervous about the squat spindle...as that blade flew off twice....I also ordred that.

But if they haven't been apart in awhile......you'll need the press.

Price of Oem filter rots me though.....looks like I may have to resort to ebay.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
one suggestion i can offer is to price the filter at boats.net, they advertise their pricing is 20% discounted from retail. Then compare to the pricing at partspak.com - all you will need there is the part number from boats.net (partspak's web is way more difficult to look up parts than boats.net)

Partspak's prices are usually (not always) 15-25% cheaper than boats.net but they're shipping prices are outrageous. But what matters is, save the url to partspak's page showing the price, buy it from boats.net and after the purchase email them the price over at partspak - they'll match it by refunding, but will only do it thru a refund process (that sometimes take 2-3 weeks) - they will not do it in advance

2nd suggestion - i've fabricated my own filters using a K&N as the core - i'm assuming the 4518 filter is similiar to the 4514's filter - if you purchase a K&N large enough to cut out the filter area you'll need for the 4518's filter, cut the old paper filter out of a 4518 oem filter that presumably is beyond it's usefulness, and simply cut/fit the filter material from a K&N into the 4514's plastic frame. Be sure to dremel the 4514's plastic frame where the filter will bond to it, degrease thoroughly (MEK, acetone or alcohol) and using one of the epoxys sold in a cartridge or mini-caulk gun style applicator at the Trak Autos, Auto Zone etc, simply lay down a bead of epoxy where the filter meets the plastic frame.

with the K&N filter core, you'll be able to clean and re-use it a number of times

if you think honda's filter prices are high (i agree they are) take a look at john deere's and others - they're all pushing profits to the limits as revenue volume is low

3rd suggestion - i'm using a 4514 filter housing on my 3813, and i didn't like the price of the 4514 filter either - but took another route until i get around to doing the K&N conversion when it's run it's useful life - i made a foam sock from 1/2" thick dense soft foam, and slip it over the end of the housing inlet so it collects 70% or more of the dust before it gets into the housing. I apply a little oil to it before installing it, and each week after cutting front & back yards, i wash it, dry it and re-oil it before refitting it. it's actually given the existing 4514 honda filter a longer life - this is the 3rd year that it's been on there now. End of this season will probably see the conversion to the k&N core

fwiw

1 - 6 of 6 Posts