My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 4518 cheap, has a front or rear oil leak that I believe is coming from the cam. Either way, looks like I will be opening it up, and removing the PTO from the front and timing belt from the rear. Anyone done this recently. How hard is to get the seals out once everything else is removed from the engine?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update,

Replaced the front crankshaft oil seal, rear crankshaft oil seal and the rear camshaft oil seal.

Still leaking out the rear crankshaft oil seal. Will have to do this one over. Here is what I will try.

Emery cloth the crankshaft to remove any bur or other possible issues.
oil the inner and outer areas of the seal again.
Press in with home-made press.

Should I use any RTV? Any grease, or just motor oil?

When I when to put in the replacement, there is an outside rubber ring on the seal. I can also see a groove inside the seal area of the lower block where this ring might fit into. While pressing the seal in, some of this ring came off and was not successfully pressed into the block.

Now, with the timing belt on, I can't tell if the leak is coming from the shaft area or the outside of the seal. Will try removing the timing belt and see if I can tell where the leak is occurring around the seal.

Anyone have any extra tips on how to accomplish this? I would prefer not to go at it a 3rd time. ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
You can try to pack grease into the rear of the seal. If there is a bad groove in the crank. go to a seal distributor and purchase a speedy sleeve to cover the groove. You will need to use a micrometer to get the diameter of the crank the go from there good luck

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips. Will have to look up more info on the grease pack. Not sure if the seal is ripping when I put it in, as the outer ring of the seal seems to come off during the press. I have heard about freezing the seal also, but not sure if it would make it smaller or just more brittle.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like the oil is not coming from the rear seal anymore, but the two oil pump o-ring gaskets. I have them on order and will replace.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts