My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

i bought a 4500 diesel backhoe from 1969. the seller drove it on my yard.

now the problem. it does not start again. i got it start one time with eather but that was difficult. it smoked much while running...

while starting it smokes white out of the exhaust and there ist diesel on all sprays without airbubbles.

now i installed a blockheater and even the block is hot it doesnt start, with eather.

what i found is: the cav pump leaks a little at the diesel backpipe.

and the most important thing is on the intake is firing order 1-2-3 marked but the pump sprays 2-1-3. ist that right. does some one made a wrong rebuilt? is that possible?

i am konfused so what is the best way to find the problem!

thanks for your help...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i found maybe the starter idles to low. this might be possible. how can i check the speed and whats the right speed?

·
Registered
2 Posts
i found maybe the starter idles to low. this might be possible. how can i check the speed and whats the right speed?
- always starting with the simple first.. does it turn over? These have a safety mechanism that will only allow you to start them when in neutral. The wires for it are in a weird place - just on top of the shifter cover where they can always get knocked loose.

·
Premium Member
8,093 Posts
If the starter doesn't spin fast enough it will never start.

1. Have you had the battery tested, and is it the proper battery for the tractor (at least 800 CCA)?

2. Have you tried jumping from a known good strong (at least 800 CCA) battery?

3. Have you tried jumper cables from a known good strong battery directly to the starter (bypassing the solenoid) NOTE - ONLY TRY THIS IF YOU KNOW FOR CERTAIN THAT THE TRANSMISSION IS IN NEUTRAL.

·
Administrator
17,393 Posts
Hey fellas, the OP hasn't been back on the site since he posted this nine years ago.
MikeC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts