My Tractor Forum banner

101 - 116 of 116 Posts

·
Gravely1964
3,929 Posts
Still never have called Craig. Working six days a week has been kicking my butt :hide: If I get a moment one day I will call. They look great Al :thThumbsU

·
Active member, now deceased, but not forgotten.
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
. . . . . . They look great Al :thThumbsU
Made it part of my motivation. Not a huge investment, but if I neglect to see this through to completion it's like throwing the $$ away. No way I can do that. Plus it makes the vision of what I want to restore it to easier to keep in focus.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Like Steve, I need to get decals at some point... I am dying here without a garage/shop, though. Hopefully I can fix that soon.

Until then I will just enjoy watching the 450 progress of others on MTF :fing02:

·
Super Moderator
11,570 Posts
I haven't seen them in a while, so I spend some time studying them again. Same conclusion-perfect. They are exactly like the originals. The stars are still there, and the gold color, the lettering, and logo are exact. I don't know how he did it.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Glad to see you finally got one. 450s are not as rare as some people think, and we have certainly seen a rash of them crop up recently. Patience pays off!

My quick internet searching indicates that the 1106F spec Onan may have been used on a welder. It is likely just a shroud from a different engine as Ron said. Welcome to the engine-numberless 450 club :fing02: I'm 99.9% sure that the original spec for your engine is 2043G, so use that if/when looking up parts.
Confirmed the Onan model ID tag is from a Miller welder. See attached production order.

If you can come up with the "stamped" in the block serial number located near the points box I might be able to find the model/spec number for that block.

Including production order for the CCKA-MS/2043G wjohn mentioned.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Confirmed the Onan model ID tag is from a Miller welder. See attached production order.

If you can come up with the "stamped" in the block serial number located near the points box I might be able to find the model/spec number for that block.

Including production order for the CCKA-MS/2043G wjohn mentioned.
Awesome stuff!

Al, get us that serial number that's stamped on top of the block :fing02:

·
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Awesome stuff!

Al, get us that serial number that's stamped on top of the block :fing02:
Here it is. What is the 19degrees about?
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Inveterate Putterer
2,976 Posts
Here it is. What is the 19degrees about?
[/URL][/IMG]
Is that 19º or a mistruck third digit in (let's say) 198 or 199?

:dunno:

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Is that 19º or a mistruck third digit in (let's say) 198 or 199?

:dunno:
I think it has to be a 19º. It's there on my 450 block, too. That matches the ignition timing given in the service manual.

·
Inveterate Putterer
2,976 Posts
I think it has to be a 19º. It's there on my 450 block, too. That matches the ignition timing given in the service manual.
Aha! That explains it.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Aha! That explains it.
The fact that it's by the points box made it a little easier for me to make that connection the first time I saw it. I wonder if the later CCKAs used on Gravelys still had the timing stamped there by the serial number. I don't remember if my '72 and '73 816 have that or not.

·
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
In addition to alot of yard work I got some time in on the 450 over the weekend.

I needed to get some initial cleaning/degreasing done in order to work on it - just can't deal with everything being funky.

Here's an example of before and after in the next 2 pics.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

Cleaned up pretty good

[/URL][/IMG]

There is no doubt this tractor began life as a Yellow and white tractor
[/URL][/IMG]
I didn't feel like getting after shots of the underneath, Both the engine and the trans were caked on deep and ugly underneath.

I hope to see why soon. Now that it can be seen. It's pretty clean under there now. Here's what it did look like.
[/URL][/IMG]

I let it get a little drying in the sun and drained the crankcase while it was doing so. There was quite a bit of gasoline in the crankcase. The drainplug was loose and may have accounted for of the leakage. We'll see.

I put a couple of capfuls of MMO in the cylinders through the spark plug holes, and rotated the engine by hand to be certain it got moved around. With the gasoline going through there I wanted to lube it a bit.

I carefully traced and drew out all the wires. Every last one of them. Several are in scuffed up condition. I have a 5-prong ignition switch orderd - also a 5 prong clip and connectors coming. The electrical will start with these. Probably will re-wire top to bottom.

Last I moved it into an area in my Gravely shelter where can get to it easily to proceed.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
It's amazing how gunked up these tractors can get but you'll have it straightened out in short order.

·
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
So do i have the incorrect manual? I was digging around in there for another purpose and noted this page?
[/URL][/IMG]

101 - 116 of 116 Posts