My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, it has been a while since I've posted. I would like to know where the wires for the ignition, hour meter and amp meter are routed up. Unfortunately I didn't take a photo before every thing was dismantled. It appears that they should come up behind and in the middle of the oil reservoir. Any good photos of that area would be very helpful?

·
Hemlock Case Guy
315 Posts
I believe you are correct. If you have an Onan the coil wire does go under the tank and then up the engine.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, though I'm not just interested in the routing of the coil wire, but rather all the wires for the ignition, and gauges. Wish someone one just take a photo of this area on their 448???

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WOW, 109 views and no one was able to take a close up photo of this area??? Not such a difficult thing to do!! I would do it for some one in need here!!!

·
4,218 Posts
Kitchenguy...although that is an excellent tractor ( as in I wish I had one, myself) I don't think there are that many 448s out there...even the 444s and 446s seem scarce....It is good to know that you would do it for someone else..that is what this forum is all about...maybe go through the Ingersoll forum, looking for a discussion on the 448 and PM the people involved....I hope it works out

·
Registered
79 Posts
Did you have any luck yet? I just picked up a 448 2 days ago. The wiring on it needs some work but most of it is intact. It looks like most of the wires do run down behind the hydraulic tank other than the main ground cable. If needed I'll try to get a picture tonight. My 444 wiring runs the same way. The colt case Ingersoll forum also has a lot of good info.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gm and thanks again, looking at your photo more closely I see your set up is different than mine. A friend of mine has a 446, which looks like your photo? Are you sure yours is a 448 and if so what year was it made. On my 448 the ignition switch is on the right then there are two round gauges (amp & hour meter).

·
Registered
79 Posts
It is a 448 and it’s a late 1984. My 444 doesn’t have the hour meter but the wiring is routed the same. When I did mine, I used plastic wire loom and just ran it where it would fit and not get pinched. The gauge wires just come up to the switch/solenoid area and the ones going out to the safety switches and engine run down behind the battery and hydraulic tank. There is a small space towards the right side. With two gauges you might have to run them down and around up to the right side of the tank/battery area if you don’t have room. Are you replacing the wiring or just putting it back on?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine is 1986 production and is probably why they are different. I am putting the original wires back into place. BTW the Case starting solenoid in my opinion is flawed, Have replaced it several times because contacts inside the switch melted the plastic switch housing. So I now use a small solenoid from a Artic Cat snowmobile! And yes any more photos are welcomed

·
Registered
79 Posts
I was wrong about the amp gauge wires, they go over to the right and up with the rest of them. The one picture is kind of hard to see but it’s the harness going down behind the tank right behind the throttle cable. If your hour meter is in the same place as mine the wires probably go to the ignition switch (mine isn’t hooked up yet). This is the 444

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank very much once again! I also stand corrected, after viewing your new photos I see the ignition sw and the two gauges positioned as in my machine. BTW did you do any mods. to the solenoid mounting. As I recall before using the snowmobile unit, the solenoid was directly mounted to the sheet metal? In the photo there appears to be a intermediate mounting bracket? Just curious?

·
Registered
79 Posts
The solenoid is aftermarket. Just one I already had on hand and since I rewired everything it didn’t have to match perfectly

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank very much once again! I also stand corrected, after viewing your new photos I see the ignition sw and the two gauges positioned as in my machine. BTW did you do any mods. to the solenoid mounting. As I recall before using the snowmobile unit, the solenoid was directly mounted to the sheet metal? In the photo there appears to be a intermediate mounting bracket? Just curious
The solenoid is aftermarket. Just one I already had on hand and since I rewired everything it didn’t have to match perfectly
I thought so, hope it is better and less expensive than the oem version? Did you by any chance add a low oil cut off or warning switch on your machine?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts