My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an appointment this Saturday to look at a 25th Aniversary C/I 448 tractor. I spoke with the owner and he said that the engine runs, but it will surge most of the time. He said that a little choke helps and it has been runnable, but not perfect. Is a good fuel system house cleaning the likely solution? Or, are there other major reasons that would cause this problem?

The guy seems like a straight shooter and he has been pretty honest with me so far, so I don't think he is trying to hide anything. The tractor is no show queen, but it is priced pretty reasonably at $1000, with a 48" blower and 60" deck.

What are your thoughts?

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
Had the same issue at purchase of an `87 446.
Carb disassembly and cleaning solved it
There are of course other fuel related problems possible but none are too difficult or expensive to resolve. JMO

Price is fine in my book

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
My thoughts are as follows.

1. I would immediately set the valves

2. I would also set the points IF.. that engine has them...which it may not.

3. I would remove the carb, make sure it has a brass float and then soak the carb in true carb cleaner after dismantling it completely. I would then use an oxy/acet torch cleaner to make sure all passages in the carb were clean and use compressed air to blow everything out before re-assembling the carb and setting the float level and the needle valves.

4. I would take the intake manifold apart, reseal the two halves with a high-temp silicone sealant and replace the intake gaskets prior to putting the carb and intake back on.

5. I would remove both heads, decarbonize them, the valves and combustion chamber and then install the heads using new gaskets and a proper torquing procedure.

6. I would remove all the engine tins and thoroughly clean the finned areas and if the block next to the flywheel looked caked, I'd pull the flywheel and clean everything inside there too prior to reinstalling all those parts and torquing them down correctly.

7. I'd then use a turkey baster to suck all the fuel out of the tank and inspect it to make sure nothing is floating around inside. I'd then remove the fuel line from the back side of the inline fuel filter and use a bit of low air pressure to force any remaining fuel out of the tank and fuel line.

8. I'd install a new fuel filter and make sure it was facing the correct way before putting fresh fuel in the tank.

9. I'd start the engine after I double checked all my work and see if the problem still existed. If it did, then I'd make some small adjustments to the positioning of the governer spring.

Maybe you think that the above is excessive. However, this tractor is new to you and you have no idea when any of this work was done or if it was ever done. Doing it all now gives you a benchmark for future maintenance and it also helps protect your valuable engine from damage due to neglect. It will cost you at least $1000.00 to rebuild your motor properly. That sir, is a hint and an incentive.

A stitch in time saves nine.

As for value, I think that he's pushing on the high end of the scale but condition, condition and condition make all the difference.

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
And after you follow the above excellent advice and your Onan is running happily along, you could/should follow Mr Castoffs protocol for hydraulic system and transaxle oil change .
Both sets of these instructions should be posted and preserved in STICKY posterity for the benefit of all owners
Might save Castoff from developing Carpel Tunnel.

I would also suggest ordering ALL the pertinent service manuals from your local Ingersoll dealer or member "bhildret" [email protected]

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I would place my money on the carburetor being dirty. Not a big deal to repair. If it is not a question of loosing the purchase then maybe you could get the hour meter reading, drive the tractor, and take some photo's before you buy it. Report back here with the information and get some advise. $1000 for an anniversary model 448 with the attachments is not a bad deal if in good condition.

:trink39:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The hour meter reads 527 hours on the original B48M engine. Here are some pics from the seller.

Castoff, I will print your reply and hang it on the wall in my garage for future reference. :fing32:

Attachments

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
The hour meter reads 527 hours on the original B48M engine. Here are some pics from the seller.

Castoff, I will print your reply and hang it on the wall in my garage for future reference. :fing32:

Have you ever heard the saying: "Soldier boy... you come upstairs. Me going to love you longtime." ??? :drunkie:

Hourmeters fall right into that category, I'm afraid. First off, they can be unplugged. They can fail. They can be switched and they can be replaced at any time. Above all, they can't be trusted.

Based on the photos, I have a hard time believing 527 original hours. Especially when the average use of these tractors is 50 hours PER YEAR. A 25th Anniversary means it's an 87 and that also means that its 23 years old. A loose translation calls for 1150 hours on average and the clock is showing half that figure.

For some strange reason, the small hairs on the back of my neck are standing up and my gut is churning. Hmmmmmmmmmm. I wonder why? Either that tractor has waaaaaaaaaaay more hours on it than he's telling you about or he's treated it like a mother-in-law he despises.

Be wary.....be vewy, vewy wary.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Looks like 527 hard hours. I would say it's barely worth $1000 and that's if you hear it run.

I would take $800 cash with me and offer him $700.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I offered him $800. the day he posted it and he never replyed.
Over the phone or email? That doesn't usually hit home like being in someones driveway with a trailer and a fist full of cash. :trink40:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Over the phone or email? That doesn't usually hit home like being in someones driveway with a trailer and a fist full of cash. :trink40:
I sent him an email asking to look at it the day it was posted. He called me back yesterday and asked me to come over Saturday morning. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't disappear before then. I haven't had any luck tractor shopping lately, that's why I didn't post the CL listing link!

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'd agree, I gotta believe he be hard pressed to say NO to 8 Benjamins for a machine he no longer wants only to try to get 2 more! When you are sitting in the driveway.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I sent him an email asking to look at it the day it was posted. He called me back yesterday and asked me to come over Saturday morning. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't disappear before then. I haven't had any luck tractor shopping lately, that's why I didn't post the CL listing link!
:sidelaugh:

BruceC lives in NH and said he already contacted the guy about it. A lot of us search for Case/Ingersoll tractors on craigslist all the time. I expand my search within a 6 hour drive from my house.

I'm assuming this is the ad....

http://nh.craigslist.org/grd/1890800017.html

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:sidelaugh:

BruceC lives in NH and said he already contacted the guy about it. A lot of us search for Case/Ingersoll tractors on craigslist all the time. I expand my search within a 6 hour drive from my house.

I'm assuming this is the ad....

http://nh.craigslist.org/grd/1890800017.html
Guilty!

I had been watching a 446 on CL that was way out of my price range and it finally came down. The next thing I knew, it was posted as a new purchase on here by another member and the listing was removed from CL!!!:thSick:

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Hmmmmmmm ..... deck rusted through in more than one spot.. definitely needs a $60.00 timing belt... Needs some TLC.....

WOW....

I peg the blower at $250.00 tops and another $30.00 for the chains. I'd swear that I see some sort of wheel weight on the rear but even if my eyes aren't lying to me, it isn't much weight.

So, now were down to $720.00 for the tractor and a highly dubious deck that likely needs both drive belts and a full set of spindle bearings.

At this point, I'm truly not buying into the hourmeter reading whatsoever. By all means, go look at it. Start it up and look for signs of blue smoke pouring from the tailpipe. Check out the play in the steering. Look straight down at the front spindles to see if they are both dead vertical or not. IF NOT...then the axle is bent.

Here's the bytch. He can't even put the deck on so you can try the clutch. Push it forward anyway. If you don't feel a fair bit of resistance just before it "pops over" into the holding area of it's travel, then you have clutch issues as well. A new clutch is around $500.00, just so you know.

Here's my opinion. This is a tractor that this jerk has driven the crap out of and now he wants to pawn his misery off on someone else because he's too cheap, too lazy and too stupid to fix it himself. That's as far as I'll go but feel free to PM my if you want to know how I really feel.:sidelaugh

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Castoff, can you come to NH on Saturday and look at the tractor with me? Maybe do a little negotiating with the seller? I bet you could get the guy to hand over the keys and run back into the house!!!!:trink40:

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
You remember that girl who said "Soldier boy... you come upstairs. Me going to love you longtime." ???

She was a bargain compared to me. :trink40:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts