My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a '76 Case 446 today. I got it for a great price, I just hope it doesn't turn into a parts machine.
When I talked to the owner on the phone he mentioned that it needs work, but it came with a 46" deck, snow blower, wheel weights, tiller and a harrow. It has all new hoses, points, coil and plug wires. That's the good stuff. Overall it looks a little rough. No hobbs so I don't know how many hours are on it. Mostly cosmetic (I hope).
Here's what I know I have to do.
The blade bearings all have to be replaced, he has them off, the splines look ok (I think). The starter was just loose and works fine, but won't stay running because gas is pumping out through the carb gaskets.
Can't pick it up till next week so I want to get the parts in so I can start on it then.
Any ideas on what all I will need or what I can expect is appreciated.
Oh, I paid $600 for everything.

·
Registered
670 Posts

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
Bought a '76 Case 446 today. I got it for a great price,
Any ideas on what all I will need or what I can expect is appreciated.
If you can resolve your engine issues first and confirm a good running engine and operational drive line, I would not hesitate to then spending another $600 to $800 on this unit. Mower blades/bearings/belts/pulleys etc could be $200 for a complete rebuild. Steering rebuild $100 to $200. Whatever other issues might arise. Given the "extras' you have, when you`re finished you`ll still be sitting very right. If you do not have a cooperative local dealer, "bhildret" is our member/dealer who has never generated anything other than praise from members seeking OEM parts

EDIT: Order the manuals, best money you`ll ever spend

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm in Brownville. Bought it in Newport.
Thanks for the encouragement. I figured it was a good deal, even if it ends up getting parted out. Thing is I really need a tractor, so I'm hoping it works out.
I will get the manuals ordered tonite.
Thanks.
Pics when I pick it up.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sounds like a great deal, attachments, three point hitch, alone worth the trip. When you decide it's to much work I've got $600. here for you. Good luck you'll have fun.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I'm in Brownville. Bought it in Newport.
Thanks for the encouragement. I figured it was a good deal, even if it ends up getting parted out. Thing is I really need a tractor, so I'm hoping it works out.
I will get the manuals ordered tonite.
Thanks.
Pics when I pick it up.
Wow you seriously live in the sticks. :trink40:

I'm in Owls Head just outside of Rockland. About a 2.5 hour drive south of you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Snotrocket,
Darn, I was down in Rockland volunteering at the Lobster Fest all day. I also go to the aviation museum whenever they have a get together. I would have looked you up for sure since the wife is a little less excited about this than I am.
i.e."YOU SPENT $600.00 AND YOU'RE NOT SURE HOW MUCH MORE IT WILL COST BEFORE YOU CAN USE IT!" Can't wait till she finds out about onan parts cost. I just ordered the gasket kit for the carb. She will be fine, she's been through this before, built a bike from scratch in '96 then traded that for a '47 power wagon. She gave up the idea of parking a car in the garage a long time ago.
I'll drop you a line when I head that way again.
Thanks

·
Registered
670 Posts
Haha that's to funny. I live veeery close to the transportation museum. I can walk across the street and watch the air shows. I'm always around on the weekends if you want to stop by and chat.

The way to appease your wifes garage wants is to have 2 garages. One to park vehicles in, and one for projects, tractors, man toys etc....:thThumbsU

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Matter of fact that's just what's going to happen.
First project with the tiller is to break ground on her potting shed. I plan on having an attached shed big enough to keep the machine and attachments dry and accessible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts