My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I decided to try my hand at re-skinning my existing muffler, since the outer wrap was absolutley rotten.

This is what I removed -

Only two bands held on what was left of the outer wrap, which covers the insulation blanket that surrounds the main muffler. Even though the outer cover was bad, good news was that the original Nelson muffler was still in good condition.

After I removed the rotted outer cover, I used a putty knife to carefully remove the insulation blanket from it (go slow, the insulation is pretty fragile).

Next, I cut a 10 1/2" wide by approx 16 1/2" long piece of 0.025 inch aluminum sheet (uncurl the old piece and measure the length to make sure. Scribe a line about 1/4 inch in from each long edge, this is where the retaining tabs will be cut. Cut evenly spaced, triangular notches along each edge to make the retaining tabs.

Carefully place the insulation blanket back around the main muffler body and wrap the new cover over the insulation to keep it in place. Use three, evenly spaced, 3 - 5 inch adjustable clamps to secure the new cover. See the photo below, which shows the retaining tabs and clamps already positioned.

Next, take a small ball peen hammer (or something similar) and slowly work around the edge to roll over the retaining tabs.

Once the tabs had started to roll over the edge of the main muffler, I finished the crimp of the retaining tabs with pliers (needle nose pliers also worked well).

After completing both ends, all that is left to do now is paint with Case Hi-Temp Muffler Paint. A few dimples on the edges, but all in all, a secure, functional cover.

BTW, never do this kind of job when it's 90 plus degrees F, 100% humidity, outside. Working the bands on in that heat was brutal!!:thSick:

Altho, I rewarded myself with a couple of beers afterwards!:trink40:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Perfect Timing. I was looking at mine this afternoon, wondering what I should do with the muffler (manuals ordered, not here yet).
Did you replace the blanket? If so, what with? I hosed the manifold with PB and will try to get it off tomorrow.
Thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, I reused the blanket. I was "very" careful in removing it. I bet you'll find that once you cut the bands (I used a Dremel mototool with a cutoff wheel) the old cover will spring open with the old insulating blanket stuck to it. If you carefully work a putty (glazier's) knife along the edge of the blanket, you should be able to separate it without too much damage. It is fragile, however, so be careful.

It appears to be fiberglass, altho I can't say for sure. Can you see the insulation on yours (is it exposed)? Mine was, as both outer edges of the metal cover were gone as shown in the first pic. The blanket was in suprisingly good condition though.

FYI, a 3 - 5 inch clamp is "just big enough" to do the job. There will be no protruding band coming through the clamp mechanism to cut off. Suppose I could have went slightly bigger, then cut the protruding end off. Could have made the job easier as band placement was a PITA. If you go with this size, having a "slave band" that is lightly bigger can help to initially draw the new cover together at the 3 locations, so you can work on the final bands.

Try and keep the mechanism placement at approx 4 - 5 o'clock to avoid any interference issues.

Good luck! If you have any issues, post them! If similar to what I encountered, I'll tell you what I did to get around it.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Bow to the Master Tin-knocker! That muffler is better than new! That new aluminum jacket should pull the heat away from it nicely too. :thThumbsU

Joel

·
Registered
485 Posts
I am going to give this a go. Reskinning the muffler may the only option as replacements probably don't exist. This repair looks great!
Mine has a coffee can repair that isn't so good.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Cool! This is on my TO DO list as well. One question - what is the reason for removing the insulation and then puting it back on? Why not just leave it on?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I would have never thought the outer skin & insulation was available. How much does that run ? I sure would like to re-skin my 1988-448 ....

:thanku:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts