My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing some of these machines I really think I want one. I've had old Cubs for a long time and if these Case machines are anything like the old Cubs I can't go wrong.
Are parts available?
Are the Onan engines expensive and are parts available?

I looked on Ebay and found very little in the way of tractors, I really don't want to buy something so unique that I can't maintain it. Any words of support would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Randy

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Whether an Onan is in a Deere or a Craftsman or a Case, the parts cost the same. Which is to say... more expensive than a Kohler.

I'm not aware of any Onan that cannot be rebuilt with currently available parts. As for the tractors, parts are not a problem for them either.

Words of support...... hmmmm. ok

Randy, you've been a happy Cub owner for many years. Why do you want to abandon the brand you know and love?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Castoff...
I'm not leaving my Cubs and I'm thinking it was those big back wheels and the way you sit with those fenders up around you....sort of looks like a big tractor.
I probably won't buy any but there is a 446 in Ohio on Ebay that caught my eye.
I just like tractors I guess.

·
Ingersoll Dealer
2,552 Posts
Case/Ingersoll and Onan parts are readily available from a multitude of sources.

That 446 would be a fine buy at $350 if not mis-represented ... who knows where it will go to. I bet it goes on the low side of market value due to the poor appearance of the heat or soot damaged hood.

Others can kick in around the relative value ... I bet that one sells for around $650-700.

Brian

·
10,839 Posts
1980. Bare bones tractor, no extras such as a rear hitch, or pto. The deck is nice, not all banged up. Same with the tractor. No major dings that I could see. Replacement lights are available through a few different sources. Rust, peeling paint, and missing stickers can be fixed easily if they bother you. I don't follow Ebay prices much, but I'm guessing the final price will be alot higher than the current bid. ($325)

·
GET TOUGH GET A CASE!
826 Posts
Anybody with knowledge of these please help me out....

Is this a good model for the price, it would appear to be using my eyes but that's why I'm asking others...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190429183511&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
After reading that listing I would easily pass if it goes over $350.00. If not pass on it right now at $325.00.
He says it's a 46" cut when they never made a 46" cut, the 46 is the model number of the deck probably a J46. It's actually a 48" cut.
The deck wheels are mounted wrong they should be to the inside, and the mismatched tires screams this guy does not put in the money and time to properly service his equipment. He also has an electric fuel pump which is not original equipment. I notice an oil filter on the engine, most later 16hp did not have one, so this may have a 18hp engine in it or an earlier 16 hp. The head lights are gone.
It's very rusty so I would have to assume it has sat outside in the weather or not properly stored from the elements. Who knows what else would be wrong or bad.
It would take alot of money and time to make this perform like it should, and even more $ to make it look like it should. :fing20: and that's my .02 cents.
With that said I've restored worse. It's what your willing to put into them I guess.

·
Ingersoll Dealer
2,552 Posts
Just as a detail, the oil filter is correct for this era Case 446.

Earlier Case/Onan models lacked the oil filter ... right around 1980 all the Onans got the filter and it stayed that way through 2003 when they were changed over to Vanguard engines.

Brian

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys.
It might be better if I pass on this and wait for one in better overall condition and has some options or just stick with my Cubs!

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Just as a detail, the oil filter is correct for this era Case 446.

Earlier Case/Onan models lacked the oil filter ... right around 1980 all the Onans got the filter and it stayed that way through 2003 when they were changed over to Vanguard engines.

Brian
Brian are you sure on this? My 1983 446 Black Frame does not have the filter.

Rwairforce don't let anything that was said here scare you off. You have experience buying tractors - use it.

My advice is if your interested in the Case/Ingersoll line you will need to take one around the block and shake it down to know whether it was meant to be... word of caution you may never look back.

Bottom line is this tractor may sell reasonably enough and the seller has agreed to let the buyer back out if they didn't find it as advertised.

If your that interested go take a ride this weekend and shake it down.

·
Ingersoll Dealer
2,552 Posts
CM2, you present a compelling piece of evidence there and now I'm not sure. I'm almost positive I have seen 448's from early 80's with filters ... but maybe that is the difference.

I trust the Case/Ingersoll service publications ... they are as good as any I have seen. But we all made mistakes and this group knows we have found funny edits in certain items.

As I look a lot deeper, it appears perhaps (now I wonder) all the 448's had filters, but 446's did not get them until about 1985.

The detail seems to hide in the engine tin part numbers that show up in the parts books. The 446's used different LH tin ... same P/N as the prior years without the filter. There is a breakpoint shown in the last 226/446/448 catalog which introduces the 448 tin to the 16 horse engines ...

Brian

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again, I alway appreciate your advice...
It's nearing $400 now and I think I'll wait for one with more options. I've seen them with hyd blades and other hyd attachments around $1,200 and if I were to get one I would want the attachments for snow, dirt, etc.
My focus is on a new building of some sort now.
I have 5 tractors and a couple vehicles that need shelter, not to mention a place to work on them. Tractors are in sheds now but no room to work.

·
GET TOUGH GET A CASE!
826 Posts
My 1983 446 is the same, no filter on the original engine. I have a newer 16hp engine going in it and that has the filter, so it must be 1985 or newer engine in mine as Brian stated.
Interesting stuff.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think my 446 is of mid-80's vintage and likely an early transitional Ingersoll, as there is alot of "twin badging" on it (both Case and Ingersoll). See ID plate for tractor PIN -

Also, I'm certain the original 16HP engine was still in place by the time I got the tractor from my brother-in-law. ID plate on the engine contains, "B43M-GA016/4183C, C863989649". This 16HP Onan, has the oil filter and matching engine tin to fit around the filter. See below -

1 - 20 of 20 Posts