My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor just told me he is hauling this '76 446 to the metal re-cycle - unless I want it.
The original engine has been replaced with a 16hp Chonda that runs good. The front wheels are rusted off and the seat needs a bit of TLC. I'm thinking I should take it as a project - just what I need!! Luckily we have a large property so I've found a place to hide it from my wife :tango_face_smile:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,792 Posts
I would take it any day of the week.

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
That's a hard call but there is a lot of good metal in that thing.

It appears to have been repowered.

I have an Ingersoll 4018 Onan, quite the machine.

CCMoe

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Hmmm, it's not that far away.:tango_face_wink: I would snag it in a heartbeat, tires, a seat and a coat of paint are not major items.

·
Registered
445 Posts
You made the right choice. I hide my stuff from the wife to...lol. As for the tractor...I'd say Fix that old girl up and enjoy. Then show the wife.

·
Super Moderator
31,533 Posts
the bones are good.. Wheels are everywere, and it has a running engine.. Get it running, make sure the hydraulic system works, and go from there. Really there is not much to go wrong other then that.. the rest is just details. Worst case there is at least 400 bucks worth of parting out value sitting there.. tillers are worth money, sleave hitch is worth money, rear hydrolic PTO is worth money... depending what valiving it has for the travel valve it might be worth money... TONS of value there.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the input, I've decided to take it.
First job is to get the front wheels off to see what the hubs are like, then find some rims and tires to fit.
I've seen pictures of these fitted with a small FEL, that would be perfect for me as I'm getting too old to turn compost with a shovel.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Front wheels are just normal GT/YT bearings sliding on spindle with a C clip... nothing special at all, and really any slide on lawn tractor wheel will work, with maybe a adaption of spacers.. Easy peasy..
That's good to know - thanks!
The rims are so rusted and collapsed I couldn't see if they were bolted or slide-on. Hope the spindles aren't shot.

·
Premium Member
2,356 Posts
Rototiller, sleeve hitch, PTO valve are worth $500-600 'round here. O'course i'd be fixin' tractor too. Looks like a PAL engine 15hp don't think they made 16hp. Had that engine in my plough tractor for 5yrs, starts first pull.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks like a PAL engine 15hp don't think they made 16hp. Had that engine in my plough tractor for 5yrs, starts first pull.
It's a Jiangsu Jiangdong (try saying that after a few beers) 420cc (13hp) - Honda knock-off. Runs, but needs some TLC.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
that would have been at my place before i typed any thing!

the man that lived behind my brother ask us if we would buy a car that had a broke bolt in the rocker shaft as he looked the other way i turned the bolt with my finger
i give my brother a nod.fixed it and sold it in 20 min
not a bad day

john

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Amazed to find that although both front wheels were rusted out they had been well greased at some time and slid right off the spindles - looking good so far.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts