My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Putting my snowblower from my 445 on to my x485. The dealer told me I need a new drive shaft the one off the 445 is the wrong size. Haven't had time yet to see if it is to long or to short etc. Have any of you had any expirence with this type of conversion? If I can't make the 445 drive shaft work I will have one f/s if someone needs one.

Will my quick hitch work off my 445? I know the only difference with the hitch is how it mounts to the tractor, but it will fit? And what about the up stop?.

I can order just the mounting part that hooks to the tractor(pin to tractor) from the dealer for 260 if i have to, The rest of the quick hitch is the same (pin to blower).

Thanks for the advice
Jeff

·
Super Moderator
17,123 Posts
The quick hitch will work The drive shaft should work as well from what I understand all you will need to make it work on the X485 is Hydraulic hose extensions I looked at Buying a 46inch single stage from a 445 to Put on my X485 and I was going to buy it off my Dealers personal tractor and he told me all you need are Hydraulic hose extensions. But I'll give him a Call monday morning to make sure on the shaft.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have a shaft for a my 455 and one for a X475 in the shop I will compare them later for you. The hitch form your 445 will work on your X485 you will need to get the hose extensions for the hitch and for your blower chute hoses. Only difference between the mounts it that the newer hitch you can use with the deck in place the older one you have to have the deck off.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm coming to this link late. But can someone explain what the item is that slides over the splines with the yellow handle is on the longer shaft above for the x485? Does that handle help you install it or does it lock it in place? Is there an install instructions for the PTO shaft online? I just bought a used 47" snowblower and it came with new unused PTO shaft and the device with the yellow handle above separate. Is there anything that holds the yellow handled device in place or it just is held there by friction? Also the 'knuckle' on the far end of the shaft in the picture on the one I have still has a thin rubber cover over it. I assume it is safe to cut that off to expose the parts underneath?

I see in this ebay listing that this one has the rubber cover over it yet. Keep it there as long as it lasts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOHN-DEERE-...642?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3397db9e62

·
MTF mile high club member
5,919 Posts
I'm coming to this link late. But can someone explain what the item is that slides over the splines with the yellow handle is on the longer shaft above for the x485? Does that handle help you install it or does it lock it in place? Is there an install instructions for the PTO shaft online? I just bought a used 47" snowblower and it came with new unused PTO shaft and the device with the yellow handle above separate. Is there anything that holds the yellow handled device in place or it just is held there by friction? Also the 'knuckle' on the far end of the shaft in the picture on the one I have still has a thin rubber cover over it. I assume it is safe to cut that off to expose the parts underneath?

I see in this ebay listing that this one has the rubber cover over it yet. Keep it there as long as it lasts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOHN-DEERE-...642?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3397db9e62
The part with the yellow handle is what mates with the receiver bracket that stays mounted on the tractor (those parts may be coupled together if it's new and unused). The cover over the u-joint is to keep crud away from the joint; leave it there if you like, or remove it and keep the joint greased regularly (it's easy to forget if the cover is left on).

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
-The install instructions would be in the owners manual for the 47 blower. The yellow handle is for install and removal. It has been a while since I installed the long shaft, but is locks in very easily with no tools required after the first time it is installed. Hopefully someone can send you a link.
-I think the plastic is supposed to be on the knuckle. It looks like it keeps thd salt and snow out of the u joint.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Thanks badgerland. Say Diesel powered, you say if the cover is left on the knuckle that I may forget to grease it. Is there a hidden zerk under the cover? If I need to remember to grease in there, does this mean the cover easily slides off for greasing and then back on again?

I would love a link to the blower manual. I think I stumbled across it once but I couldn't figure out a way to download the whole manual or print it. The online version has a webpage for each sub section but no way to print multiple sections or the whole thing. Maybe that was intentional to keep folks from printing it rather than purchasing a paper copy?

·
MTF mile high club member
5,919 Posts
Yes, there's most likely a zerk under there; although, Deere used various joints and there's a slim possibility that it's a sealed joint. You should be able to slide the cover, grease the joint, then slide it back. Personally, I'd probably cut it off and leave it off; most, if not all, of the new shafts (as well as many of the older shafts) don't come with that boot. Ultimately, with or without a boot, contaminants/moisture will get in to the joint and the best thing you can do is purge it out with a bit of grease.

·
Proud JD Owner
1,748 Posts
Hello,

Putting my snowblower from my 445 on to my x485. The dealer told me I need a new drive shaft the one off the 445 is the wrong size. Haven't had time yet to see if it is to long or to short etc. Have any of you had any expirence with this type of conversion? If I can't make the 445 drive shaft work I will have one f/s if someone needs one.

Will my quick hitch work off my 445? I know the only difference with the hitch is how it mounts to the tractor, but it will fit? And what about the up stop?.

I can order just the mounting part that hooks to the tractor(pin to tractor) from the dealer for 260 if i have to, The rest of the quick hitch is the same (pin to blower).

Thanks for the advice
Jeff
Yes, I have had experience with this. The Quick-Hitch is a direct fit on your X485. The lift cylinder hoses are fine, but will need the hydraulic fittings changed to 90 degree ones. If you have the angle kit on your QH, the hoses will need to be extended or replaced with longer ones and 90 degree fittings.

You will need to buy the 2000 RPM mid-PTO kit for your X485. The drivehaft and upstop that are currently on your blower will work. The hydraulic hoses on the blower will probably work, but again will need to have 90 degree fittings installed. Don't forget to buy the hose guides for your X485. They help keep the hoses off the front tire and exhaust.

·
Registered
382 Posts
What 90 degree fittings will I need for the blower hydraulic hoses for my x485. Other posters on this site say there are 2 sets and one work and one do not? I read someone else just bought a standard brass T with the correct thread size on one end and hydraulic on the other.

Would it be a problem if I just used the hose as is and made it make the 90 degree corner in a gentle arc and it stuck out a bit from the side?

·
Proud JD Owner
1,748 Posts
What 90 degree fittings will I need for the blower hydraulic hoses for my x485. Other posters on this site say there are 2 sets and one work and one do not? I read someone else just bought a standard brass T with the correct thread size on one end and hydraulic on the other.

Would it be a problem if I just used the hose as is and made it make the 90 degree corner in a gentle arc and it stuck out a bit from the side?
I've seen that done, but you are better off adding the 90 degree fittings. If your hose ends are NTP thread (as mine were) these fittings will work: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026H5366/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

and

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Weatherhead-C3409X4-Carbon-Fitting-Degree/dp/B00BKG4E2I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417025552&sr=8-2&keywords=1+4+npt+hydraulic[/ame]

If your fittings are JIC, then it's best to look on JD Parts and see what you need. You will also probably need to flip your hoses on the snowblower from the left side to the right side. (as viewed from the rear of the unit)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Mach-1, thanks for the links. I'll study the fitting when I'm home. How do you flip hoses? Are there duplicate hydraulic ports on the chute control one for each side, or a bracket gets mounted differently? I'll probably understand it better when I can study it more at home.

·
Proud JD Owner
1,748 Posts
Mach-1, thanks for the links. I'll study the fitting when I'm home. How do you flip hoses? Are there duplicate hydraulic ports on the chute control one for each side, or a bracket gets mounted differently? I'll probably understand it better when I can study it more at home.
Just take the cover off the top and look. It may be as simple as loosening a hose connection on the cylinder, flipping the hose and tightening it back up. My 47" blower top cover has holes for the hoses in both sides of it so you can run the hose out either side.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts