My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor's old JD lawnmower just crapped out and won't be fixed. Meanwhile I spied this 445 at the JD dealer that I thought he might like. The dealer doesn't put out many old models so I took note and checked it out. The salesman said it's so new that they haven't priced it yet. Knowing only what it looks like, 992 hours on the clock and a 60" deck, what's a good asking price? How's the quality on the 445s?

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Pricing is all over the board depending on where you live but probably about $2000-$3000. I bought mine last year with 630 hours, 60” deck in better cosmetic condition but needing a radiator & water pump for $2300. I love it, does everything I need & want, since buying it I now have a 54” plow, 46” single stage snowblower, quick hitch with dual cylinders, click n’ go weight bracket with weights, steel wheel weights, model 40 loader & just picked up a 47” two stage snowblower. Attachments except for the loader are plentiful since they fit the newer X series tractors as well.

While I’d like a newer X series there’s really no need, there isn’t anything that a newer tractor has that I don’t already have in the 445. If he can work a deal with them keep in mind that the side covers are expensive, if he’s not concerned with the cosmetics he might be able to pick it up pretty cheap if they discount it due to the side covers.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Not knowing the year - with 992 hours on the clock, that cam gear could be a ticking time bomb...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Not knowing the year - with 992 hours on the clock, that cam gear could be a ticking time bomb...
Valid point, I forgot about that since mine has the steel gear, he should either negotiate the repair into the price or deduct unless they can provide proof that it’s been done. Also, check threads here, there’s a thread that has the serial number breakdown, mine has the steel gear. Don’t quote me but mid 1999 & up have steel gears, again, check the threads for more info.

·
2,465 Posts
I can't speak to price... but from here it looks to me like that thing has been rode hard and put away wet more than once or twice.

I'd definitely want to go over it really good, and with all of the above-stated caveats in mind.

·
Super Moderator
28,961 Posts
Based on the condition I'd say there may be steering or brake issues or the PO was just a lousy driver! I agree with the others that you will want to go over it carefully, definitely pull the dipstick and see if you have sludge or oil, the cam gear is the biggest unknow for sure though. Complete function test on all the hydraulic levers (almost always one is stuck) and make sure no leaks in tranny, hydraulic system. Check radiator to see condition of antifreeze. Check PS to make sure it turns smooth stop to stop.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We can check the serial number, but the bulk message here is maybe this isn't the machine.
Maybe he'd be better suited with an older JD? He has about 4 acres of mowing -its all he does with it as he has another, maybe a 240 series that he only uses for sno blowing his drive.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
The only suitable older JD's would be the 430, 420, 400 with a 60-inch deck. Some of the newer mowers like the X540 or X530 would also handle 4 acres easily but will cost more than the 400 series. With 4 acres I wouldn't go below a 60-inch deck. Decent 420-'s can be found in the high teens to the mid $2000's. 430's around here run in the high teens to the mid $3000's. Another issue for the 4x5 series is the instrument panel. A new one is about $350 and most people are not set up to repair them. The 445 is a great machine but you need to know what you are buying.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
My neighbor's old JD lawnmower just crapped out and won't be fixed. Meanwhile I spied this 445 at the JD dealer that I thought he might like. The dealer doesn't put out many old models so I took note and checked it out. The salesman said it's so new that they haven't priced it yet. Knowing only what it looks like, 992 hours on the clock and a 60" deck, what's a good asking price? How's the quality on the 445s?
Never say never until you look at the machine. Similar 445 at dealer near me. Both the 445 and 455 appeared at the dealer at the same time. The dealer is 4 hours from me so I phoned and offered $3000CDN/$2300USD for both machines sight unseen, he said yes. At least my son lives a mile from the dealer and sent him to pick them up.

The 445 ad said cosmetically poor, one side panel all busted up, 445 already had ECU replaced, whew ($1139USD). Got it home and lo and behold the top of rad was split. Fortunately I had a spare rad. Looked at the engine and someone had replaced the plastic valve covers with aluminum. 722 hours was curious about cam, phoned dealer and he thought it was replaced, looked at nuts on the muffler and front of engine and looked like they had a socket on them at some point. Other than side panel and rusted mower deck, machine is spotless after cleanup esp where wiring and electronics are located, looks like it was stored inside.

The 455 1088 hrs, 3 point hitch, also came with MC519 blower and cart. Air filter looked like it had never been cleaned or replaced in a 1000 hrs. Someone was changing oil and put double the amount of oil, I drained just about 2 quarts to get it back to fill mark. Other than that runs like a top.

So better to check out the machine yourself or with someone that knows a bit about them.

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Never say never until you look at the machine. Similar 445 at dealer near me. Both the 445 and 455 appeared at the dealer at the same time. The dealer is 4 hours from me so I phoned and offered $3000CDN/$2300USD for both machines sight unseen, he said yes. At least my son lives a mile from the dealer and sent him to pick them up.

The 445 ad said cosmetically poor, one side panel all busted up, 445 already had ECU replaced, whew ($1139USD). Got it home and lo and behold the top of rad was split. Fortunately I had a spare rad. Looked at the engine and someone had replaced the plastic valve covers with aluminum. 722 hours was curious about cam, phoned dealer and he thought it was replaced, looked at nuts on the muffler and front of engine and looked like they had a socket on them at some point. Other than side panel and rusted mower deck, machine is spotless after cleanup esp where wiring and electronics are located, looks like it was stored inside.

The 455 1088 hrs, 3 point hitch, also came with MC519 blower and cart. Air filter looked like it had never been cleaned or replaced in a 1000 hrs. Someone was changing oil and put double the amount of oil, I drained just about 2 quarts to get it back to fill mark. Other than that runs like a top.

So better to check out the machine yourself or with someone that knows a bit about them.
Agreed, best to inspect the machine yourself before making a determination. Also, mowing 4 acres? I’d want to be on the newest machine possible since that’s a lot of seat time. The 445 with a foot throttle, 60” deck, power steering & improved ergo’s over the older machines makes mowing a breeze.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Here’s a few pics of a 1996 445 that was for sale at a local dealer last winter. 776 hours and in good shape. They had a price of $2800 on it. My guess is the dealer wasn’t asking a lot of money as they wanted to move it quickly due to the plastic cam gear.

Attachments

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here’s a few pics of a 1996 445 that was for sale at a local dealer last winter. 776 hours and in good shape. They had a price of $2800 on it. My guess is the dealer wasn’t asking a lot of money as they wanted to move it quickly due to the plastic cam gear.
That one appears to be in a lot better shape.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Cosmetically it is better but that is cheap compared to the cam gear swap. I bought two side panels from ebay for $250 that are not OEM JD but since they do not have to abutt an original JD piece they look great. Replacing the cam gear is about $400 just for the kit alone plus your time to do it yourself. If you have it done, plan on another $400 to $500 for the mechanic. A new seat runs about $150. I am a buyer and a flipper, even though I hate that word because it denotes a person who is like a used car dealer which I am not, and I go for the non-cosmetic things first unless it is a plastic hood model. Replacement hoods range from $150 to over $700 depending on the damage. But the engine, smoking, tranny, radiator, charging, oil color, leaks, electronics and then a hard drive. After that, I make an offer with cash in my pocket to take it or leave it including a deduction for anything I found wrong. I also know what these wrong things cost so I am not BSing the seller. I have done this with several dealers with mixed success. But 100% success with private sellers.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
The 318, 400, 420, 430, 445 and 455 are legendary in 20 to 30 year old machines, they have some flaws with cam gears and plastic panels on the 4X5 series. All were fairly expensive machines when new.

CCMoe

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
. Replacement hoods range from $150 to over $700 depending on the damage. But the engine, smoking, tranny, radiator, charging, oil color, leaks, electronics and then a hard drive. After that, I make an offer with cash in my pocket to take it or leave it including a deduction for anything I found wrong. I also know what these wrong things cost so I am not BSing the seller. I have done this with several dealers with mixed success. But 100% success with private sellers.
You could rent your services to novice buyers...

·
Registered
541 Posts
tractor looks like it was owned by an organization, not a private person; very common with the larger JD's. Tractor has low hours and low tire wear?? Looks like it sat in the weather (faded ) and had multiple operators (boo-boos & ding-dings) which is very common whe nowene by a school, church group, or city parks dept. Any info on original owner(s)??? The hours ( meter works??) are too low for a golf course or landscaper. In that case - it would have 3000 hrs and the tires would be bald!! LOL Check all the fluids for proper level and level of dirt. Trans fluid should be JD "HI-Guard" should be almost clear and sort of thin w/little or no odor. if it's dark and smells burnt!!! Cam gear issue was on only earliest models, and was a partial recall by JD. Dealer should be able to tell what tractor cam with by the serial no.
I had a 1st year out 425, w/ the nylon gear. Purchased it used, no knowledge of the gear issue. I got to 3900 hrs on the clock before the gear failed! don't panic.
For it's age - a low hour machine. could cut those 4 acres for the rest of my life time! good luck

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts