My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I recently inherited a 445 (with 67 hours on the clock !!!). No manual of course.
I purchased a used snow blower (single stage, but better than nothing)

I have figured out how to mount the long shaft and the front bearing and attach the blower but the PTO does not work.

The mower worked when I took it off.

I figure there must be a safety switch or something but I have no idea where to look.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
4,206 Posts
No belt on the 425,445,455 shaft off the transaxle unit.

Here the directions for attaching the front PTO drive shaft and front support bracket.

Also here is the operators manual (Online Version) 455 Operating Manual

which you can save section by section and build a pdf file from.

Which single stage model did you attach?

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
If the PTO light lights and the PTO will not engage, check the relay on the main circuit board. Easier to buy new relay off the internet than find the complete circuit board. I crossed the relay numbers to a heavierduty relay and just soldered it on years ago and have had no problems since.

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
When you start the 445, turn the key so the display lights go on but the starter doesn't engage and wait for the center yellow light to go out before turning the key the rest of the way. If you don't it doesn't go through the safety checks and it might not let you engage the pto. Also like Trent posted the parking brake can't be on and you can't have your foot holding down the brake.

The display lights blink different codes if a problem is identified during system check. Short blinks and long blinks. There is a chart but not many things on it.

What year is your 445? Doesn't really matter because 67 hours means you will die before it does if you are 60 or older. LOL!

Depending on the year they had a plastic cam that needs replaced around 1000 hours. Something to know about.

Does it have a plow or 3 point hitch?

Very nice inheritance. Very nice. You might not realize what you have but you will find out. It is one of the most respected tractors ever made.

·
Registered
29 Posts
When you start the 445, turn the key so the display lights go on but the starter doesn't engage and wait for the center yellow light to go out before turning the key the rest of the way. If you don't it doesn't go through the safety checks and it might not let you engage the pto. Also like Trent posted the parking brake can't be on and you can't have your foot holding down the brake.

The display lights blink different codes if a problem is identified during system check. Short blinks and long blinks. There is a chart but not many things on it.

What year is your 445? Doesn't really matter because 67 hours means you will die before it does if you are 60 or older. LOL!

Depending on the year they had a plastic cam that needs replaced around 1000 hours. Something to know about.

Does it have a plow or 3 point hitch?

Very nice inheritance. Very nice. You might not realize what you have but you will find out. It is one of the most respected tractors ever made.
FYI-
455 is a Yanmar diesel, no plastic cam issues, you're thinking of the gas engine in the 425/445

·
Premium Member
1,642 Posts
rkmore,

Welcome to the Forum and congrats on your new to you machine, truly is one of the finer machines JD put in our yards and gardens.

You may look at Tractor Data for more info on your 445.

TractorData.com John Deere 445 tractor information

I originally looked for a 455 but went with the 455 as it sips fuel and the Yanmar is expected to last 3000 plus hours.

Good luck with the 455 and change all the fluids.

CCMoe

·
Registered
171 Posts
Does the PTO light come on when you engage?

Maybe check fuses. Think it's a 15 amp fuse. Maybe possible solenoid issue or wiring.

Is the battery new? If not does it test at 12v?

Maybe a sticky break switch on the left side of the tractor.

Did the PTO engage the mower deck at a standstill or did you need to start driving? Have you tried engaging the PTO while driving forward?

Sillymone, Is the shaft fully connected to the midmount PTO? I messed up once as it was "on" but didn't click in. PTO turned on once and didn't turn on after while it still appeared connected.

Seems like a new to your shaft and blower as well. A hassle for sure, but have you reconnected the mower deck to rule out an issue with the new shaft and blower?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts