My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I just picked up a JD455 with a 40 loader. About 1200 and some odd hours.. Looks to be in really good shape.. It had been painted at some point (not a perfect job, but will work for the time being..)

I have a quick question about the loader.. I tried to lift the front of the tractor by pushing the bucket to the ground, but nothing.. Should this loader be able to lift the front of the tractor off the ground? Could there be a problem?

I'm heading out to take some pics of the new baby.. I'll post in just a bit..

Thanks in advance!
Scott

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I am no expert but could you have the hoses connected to the wrong ports on the tractor? On my 318 the front blade has a "float" function so it wont have any down pressure. I am assuming that your loader connects the same as my blade?

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
That's a good point KJD. I know my 54" blade lifts my front end off the ground and I'd assume the 45 FEL certainly should.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys - I just figured it out.. I should have read the manual in the first place! :)

Lower the boom to the ground, then tip the bucket.. The whole tractor then lifts off the ground.

I'll get some pictures up soon. Thanks again! My first diesel and my first loader (outside of a JBjr).. I'm excited!

·
Registered
237 Posts
If you dont mind me asking, how much did it set you back?

·
Super Moderator
32,682 Posts
Yes, one of the real benefits of the hydraulics is it makes front tire maintenance much easier! Glad you figured out the bucket issue so quickly!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey BG,

I picked it up with the loader and 60" deck for $6500. Don't know if that's a good price, but I had been looking at used Simplicity Legacy XL's.. It was difficult locating the XL's with a loader for that price, and no chance of a diesel XL with loader for under 10K...

I had seen a 455 with 40 loader on Ebay a week ago and it peaked my interest. I did a bit of research on the 455's, found out that they were highly regarded, and wound up finding one about :30 minutes away on Craigslist.. Went up to see it yesterday and bought it today. It's a serious machine, that's for sure.. I had a Cub GT3100 which I bought new.. This thing dwarfs it!

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
If you don't have a toothbar for the bucket get one and you'll be really impressed when it comes to digging. slkpk

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Wow is that a sweetheart!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Did you happen to pick it up in East Stroudsburg? If so, i can personally vouch for that tractor.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Congrats! I love mine!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey BG,

I did get it in East Stroudsburg!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hey BG,

I did get it in East Stroudsburg!
Ya, I figured you did. Jason is a friend of mine. He is a great guy and only sells nice equipment. Enjoy your new tractor!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very cool.. I could tell just from talking to him for a few hours that he is a super nice guy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts