My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after rebuilding the carb, including new shafts and adjusting the float the big Kohler 14 runs pretty well.
I'm appartently missing the battery hold down parts because mine dances all over. Where can I get the parts needed to secure the battery?
Thanks.
Also....the previous owner told me that he replaced the drive oil with 15-40. I do believe that I read Castoff saying that 20-50 should be used. Would removing the hose from the oil cooler and draining it from there be adequate? I would like to remove as much as possible.
What brand do you recommend and how much will I need?
Thanks...

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
Randy, you are fine with the 15-40, a lot of guys use the Rotella 15-40 with no ill effects. Including me.... The other oil is better suited to really cold temps blow freezing.

PS What kind of music does your battery like?:sidelaugh:bannana::bananapow

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Drew, that's the very oil the PO quoted...

The battery must like the new stuff because it sounds like noise to me!
I just hate the sound of vibrating parts and these single 14s tend to shake a little.

Anybody have a picture of your battery retention system?

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
There's no valid reason to drop the 15/40 at this time. It is a good all-season oil. If you are going to run your tractor only during spring/summer/fall when the temps are rarely below the freezing point, then 30W single grade or 20W50 are better choices because the factory has always called for 20W40 and still sells that grade. However, outside of your Ingersoll dealer and a few motorcycle dealers, 20W40 is nearly impossible to find and that makes the 20W50 the closest choice when it comes to multi-grade oils.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How about my dancing battery???
Nobody has offered the solution or tie down method used? Should I use a bungy and look like a hippie from the 60's holding his VW bus together with love laces?

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Contact Brian. Give him the serial/model of your tractor and let him tell you the price and availability of the OEM battery tie down.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent, thanks a bunch...

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestion Castoff, Brian came through. The piece I need is no longer available but now that I understand the placement and how it works I'm sure I can make one that will do the job.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks 220, I have one of those coming.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts