My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have seen comments on here regarding trying to find replacements for the bronze gear inside of the front 44 snowblower gearbox. All I need is that gear, and dealers want approximately $570 for a whole new gearbox. Does anyone have a lead on finding that gear for cheaper or know anyplace to get a used gearbox that contains it?

·
Registered
684 Posts
WOW, You've got your work cut out for you to find a new replacement gear! Many variables like pitch, pressure angle, mounting center, width, bore, to name a few. At a rough guesstimate, I'd say $250 for a gear and probably another $100 for additional machining. Finding a used gearbox is chancy as far as its condition. You may find 1 almost new, or almost worn out!

There's quite a few 44's listed on the jdparts website. I didn't check if they all use the same gearbox. Your tractor model and blower model & serial number may help.

From another post 2 years in another Forum:
44" Snowblower Auger Gearbox AM142008 Gearbox is made by Eicher Engineering Components in India Eicher Engineering Components The part number for the gear is 100053 .

You may want to try and track down Eicher also. Hope this helps...at least somewhat! Bob

·
Registered
19 Posts
I saw post on craigslist a couple of years ago, the guy had repaired his 44” snowblower gearbox by milling down an mtd gear pn# 917-1425. He stated that the dimensions were close and since it was too thick he had it milled to fit into the case. It also only had 1 keyway vs 2 for the original. I haven’t checked this out myself but if you get a gear from amazon you can check to see if it would be the correct dimensions other than the width. If it isn’t a good fit you can always return it to amazon.
2C610DC3-A51D-47F3-A289-7DA884C0576A.png

·
blinged out
1,171 Posts
if my gearbox fails, it's either getting a gearbox box from a berco installed or a complete berco blower and never worry about it again, they are stout!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I assume this is a 44-inch snow blower for a L-series tractor. Unfortunately you are not alone. Even on the larger snow blower JD offers no parts for the auger gearbox and only sells the unit as a complete assy. This is ridiculous and totally unacceptable IMHO. I have the same issue with my 54-inch blower - no individual gear box parts. With my 20-year old MTD walk-behind blower I had no problems buying auger gearbox parts.

You can buy an entire snow blower for $750-$1000.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Here is another thread where someone was looking into making a MTD replacement gear work.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm not sure who built the 44" for John Deere, but Agri-Fab built the 42". I was able to go to Agri-Fab directly and got everything to rebuild my 42" for under $400. They were great to deal with.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I saw post on craigslist a couple of years ago, the guy had repaired his 44” snowblower gearbox by milling down an mtd gear pn# 917-1425. He stated that the dimensions were close and since it was too thick he had it milled to fit into the case. It also only had 1 keyway vs 2 for the original. I haven’t checked this out myself but if you get a gear from amazon you can check to see if it would be the correct dimensions other than the width. If it isn’t a good fit you can always return it to amazon. View attachment 2445790
i can mill the gear down and put in the second keyway .... LMK if interested !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, I have seen comments on here regarding trying to find replacements for the bronze gear inside of the front 44 snowblower gearbox. All I need is that gear, and dealers want approximately $570 for a whole new gearbox. Does anyone have a lead on finding that gear for cheaper or know anyplace to get a used gearbox that contains it?
Did mine from parts for an Ag-Fab parts description. Have to check different mods. Also used parts from a Cub Cadet. most gear boxes are the same,just the shafts are different lengths

1 - 9 of 9 Posts