My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We finally received some snow last night here in Minnesota so I could test out my new JD X360 and 44 inch blower. I was disappointed with the blower as it seemed to be pushing the snow (six inches) more than blowing it.
I checked the shear pins and they were fine. The auger is going around fine.
I do have a gravel country lane and I did throw some rocks.
Could a rock get caught in the impeller? I did notice that it was not throwing the snow near as far as my previous two stage blower.
Is there a quick easy way to "clear" the second stage impeller?
Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PS....the snow was dry and I was running the tractor WO.
Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have an X540 with the 44" blower. We get some good storms up to 38" but most are 6-12. I have never been a huge fan of my JD. Bad dealer ship backed by lousy support for JD them selves. The 44" blower has always performed ok as long as the auger never gets turned off when backing and such. Most times when I find it plowing more then blowing it is usually partially obstructed with snow/ slush/ ice inside the chute. I just think it should be a better design. I give it a 5 out of 10.
After 3 years I am still waiting for the day to come where I can say," Wow, I am impressed."

·
Registered
615 Posts
How much snow did you guys recieve? None of my blowers work very well and they do as you said, unless theres a snow fall over two or three inches.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My old tractor for nine years was a Scotts with 17.5 HP and a 42 inch two stage blower. It worked great and would throw snow into the next county.
I am thinking something is wrong with the setup or something blocking the impeller.
The six inches of dry snow is perfect "blowing snow".

·
Registered
998 Posts
My old tractor for nine years was a Scotts with 17.5 HP and a 42 inch two stage blower. It worked great and would throw snow into the next county.
I am thinking something is wrong with the setup or something blocking the impeller.
The six inches of dry snow is perfect "blowing snow".
I will agree about the 42 blower, my little 17hp L100 will throw 50-60 feet with heavy snow, this video is snow that was shoveled off my roof and was anywhere from 0-18 inches deep, and was on the roof for a couple weeks, and anyone who has shoveled a roof knows just how heavy it is. The big difference that I can think of is the 42 has a metal impeller and the 44 has plastic. (I think)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLs9U4nx3WM

·
Registered
602 Posts
We only got about an inch sixty miles north of you. The top was dry snow but underneath it had melted on the warmer driveway and formed a layer of ice. I pushed it with the blower to collect an auger full before engaging the PTO at the end of the run. Threw what it had plenty far... just not a whole lot there for it to work with. I did notice last weekend that my second stage paddles have about .25-.375 inch clearance to the housing - a bit much IMO. If yours is similar that will reduce overall throwing distance.

Does the 47 blower have a metal impeller or plastic like the 44?

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
all I can add is that during the first couple of snows the blowers seems to do "weird things" pushing, low throw, etc. (assuming it is the snow) but then it seems to work WELL all winter long.

Don't make any changes just yet, let winter come and I bet without any changes the blower will work as expected.

and if real wet snow, I turn off the PTO and use the blower as a plow anyway!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I bought the setup new last March, the dealer set it up and it worked great the two times I used it.
This Fall I set it up and possibly missed something.
I will go back and check the belt routing and tension.
Any other ideas? Thanks for the thoughts fellows!

·
L120/G110 Hybridizer
1,164 Posts
If that's a belt driven unit, check that the correct side of the secondary belt is routed over the idler tension pulley. It should be on the return side of the belt.

On the 44" on my L120, you can set it up backwards if you try hard enough! Ask me how I know...

Paul

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts
We got no snow up in Bemidji this weekend but I was done in St.Paul Sat. night and they got about 3+- inches and when I went to brush our van off in the am the top inch or so was dry but under that was wet and heavy. The hotel had a bobcat with a big two stage on it clearing the lot and it was having a heck of a time. The snow was just dribbling out of the shoot.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you watch my video?

Here's the last one I did last winter, it was 6 inch of fresh snow Here
Thanks for the link Stladrill! Mine was throwing snow like that last year...but not so far this year.
I will check the belts and see what I did or didn't do.
Thanks!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If that's a belt driven unit, check that the correct side of the secondary belt is routed over the idler tension pulley. It should be on the return side of the belt.

On the 44" on my L120, you can set it up backwards if you try hard enough! Ask me how I know...

Paul
Thanks for the tip! I will check the routing.

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,968 Posts
Thanks for the link Stladrill! Mine was throwing snow like that last year...but not so far this year.
I will check the belts and see what I did or didn't do.
Thanks!
An other thing, if you have dismantle the auger for cleaning/lubrication/maintenance, it's very easy to put them backward and resulting to push out the snow instead of bring the snow in the middle where the impeller is.

·
Registered
298 Posts
If the snow was really dry and light and there wasn't much of it, then pushing it - compacting it - is not that unusual. And it's really not going to fly very far without some weight. So, check the operation of the blower and wait for some decent snow!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts