My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my first post here as I have been lurking and reading through trying to figure this problem out. I have a yellow 432 which was running and cutting just fine, the person who was cutting with it disengaged the clutch then went to re-engage and lost everything including the pto or so I am told. It sat out side for a couple years in between, now I have got it to run correctly and I am trying to figure out this trans/pto problem. I have not had any experience with this tractor before this point so I don't really know what normal feels like on the shifting end of it but I cannot get the pto to shift, and H-L is very stiff if its moving correctly at all. From what I have read it seems I may need to break the tranny open and check for shifter pins loose or out, but that is all I have. Any suggestions on the next step?

Chris

·
Legend in my own mind
210 Posts
WELCOME! Great to have you.

Just to clarify, since you have owned the unit, it has never worked? It may or may not have worked for the previous owner. Correct?

Sound to me like some exploratory 'open trans' surgery might be in order. But before you do that check out the Shipper shaft and its associated things. I know on my two wheelers these things wear and become loose with use.

http://www.oldgravelys.net/pdf/424_430_IPL_0371.pdf

scroll down to pg 5 and see parts numbered 29, 24, 28

I have found these loose or worn many times and a simple replacement or tighting could solve your issue. Worth a look before "crackin' it open"

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
First off,:MTF_wel2:

Need to know if it moves under its own power. If it does, then the problem is in the PTO. If it doesn't, then it is in the H/L area. First thing to check is if the actuating shaft is moving when you move the lever from one position to the other. It is the lever on the left side. Are the nuts on the clutch rod adjusted correctly? If the shaft rotates properly when you move the lever, chances are that you will need to remove the engine and check the planetaries for the H/L range. Page 50 of the Service Manual for 424, 430, 432, 450 gives you the instructions. You can get a copy of it at http://www.oldgravelys.net/pdf/424_430_432_450_Serv_Man_0972.pdf

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WELCOME! Great to have you.

Just to clarify, since you have owned the unit, it has never worked? It may or may not have worked for the previous owner. Correct?
I actually watched it happen, I was present. I did not "own" it that point, but I did know the original owner, and he never had a hint of a problem. This was an instant kind of thing, not a gradual, but the operator at that moment had never run it before that point either.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First off,:MTF_wel2:

Need to know if it moves under its own power. If it does, then the problem is in the PTO. If it doesn't, then it is in the H/L area. First thing to check is if the actuating shaft is moving when you move the lever from one position to the other. It is the lever on the left side. Are the nuts on the clutch rod adjusted correctly? If the shaft rotates properly when you move the lever, chances are that you will need to remove the engine and check the planetaries for the H/L range. Page 50 of the Service Manual for 424, 430, 432, 450 gives you the instructions. You can get a copy of it at http://www.oldgravelys.net/pdf/424_430_432_450_Serv_Man_0972.pdf
I have read through the manual a couple times I was just not sure were to start so thank you. ---both of you---

It sorta moves under is own power(fully engaged), I would liken it to a clutch that has let loose, you have a small amount of forward movement once it moved pretty well after I had messed with the levers but when I went to back up it had nothing. And then no more forward. The high low section lever does not move the greatest and I am not sure what is correct for the feel, but the linkages look ok, for what thats worth.

I have not done anything with it for about 2 weeks as I have been getting my simplicity and ariens ready for winter so its not fresh in my memory. I will have time to play with it this week and double check some stuff.

I did mess with the slipper shaft thingy reading that has caused problems like this, but having to pull the engine is a start and did not have a good clue were to go from my current point.

chris

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
I have read through the manual a couple times I was just not sure were to start so thank you. ---both of you---

It sorta moves under is own power(fully engaged), I would liken it to a clutch that has let loose, you have a small amount of forward movement once it moved pretty well after I had messed with the levers but when I went to back up it had nothing. And then no more forward. The high low section lever does not move the greatest and I am not sure what is correct for the feel, but the linkages look ok, for what thats worth.

I have not done anything with it for about 2 weeks as I have been getting my simplicity and ariens ready for winter so its not fresh in my memory. I will have time to play with it this week and double check some stuff.

I did mess with the slipper shaft thingy reading that has caused problems like this, but having to pull the engine is a start and did not have a good clue were to go from my current point.

chris
If you lose both the PTO and travel at the same time, it likely is the H/L section. If you lose PTO only, then that area. If you lose travel only, then the F/R or axle shifting parts. It might be that things just need adjusting correctly. Or it could be that the Clutch Cup linings are gone. Not a hard repair but not cheap unless you find some good used ones on e-bay or the like.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you lose both the PTO and travel at the same time, it likely is the H/L section. If you lose PTO only, then that area. If you lose travel only, then the F/R or axle shifting parts. It might be that things just need adjusting correctly. Or it could be that the Clutch Cup linings are gone. Not a hard repair but not cheap unless you find some good used ones on e-bay or the like.
I have lost both.

Is the clutch a wet one or dry? are they possible to reline or machine if solid. I have a full machine shop at my dissposal.

Chris

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
I have lost both.

Is the clutch a wet one or dry? are they possible to reline or machine if solid. I have a full machine shop at my dissposal.

Chris
They are wet clutches lined with Raybestos red materials. I've heard that some people have relined them but the material is bonded to the metal part and is a chamfer area where the lining is. That means a cone shaped lining cut from flat material and then pressed and bonded. Plus the lining is very thin to start with.

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Chris,

Your four three two has a High/Low planetary only used with Kohler engines. The Kohler engines spin a H/L planetary assembly must faster than a Gravely engined two wheeler, and the oil in the chassis is never flitered as is with the Gravely engines.

As Fla Don has mentioned, the output of the H/L planet carrier assembly turns the drive pinion shaft which turns the F/R planetary and the PTO. If you are lacking power to both the F/R and PTO, then something must be amiss in the H/L.

Some things wear a little faster with unflitered oil, the cast iron rear ring gear and the front ring gear in the H/L planetary assembly. The major components in your H/L assembly are expensive, the clutch cups you can get off eBay for five to ten bucks plus shipping. Let us hope that it is only a clutch cup.

Repairing whatever in the H/L planetary means pulling the engine.

Roger,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts