My Tractor Forum banner

161 - 180 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
I don't know if CL reaches a 'wider' audience or not. Even ads with real deals seem to sit for ages on there.

There's definitely something wrong with CL there in particular, or maybe its just the area, nothing sells and stores are messed up, don't carry normal items, and never seem to bother getting or keeping things in stock regardless of the current pandemic. Things on sale are never there you get told they never came in or they sold out. Walmart is the only game in town there for the most part. I don't think they're are any other department stores there. I went into the W-M there once and waited in line for an hour, the place was packed and they only had two registers open. The place definitely had management issues or something going on, the shelves were bare, the selection was terrible and the prices were higher than the W-M back home here. I was so mad the time I went in there I made a point of complaining to corporate about that store but I doubt that did much good. That was over a year ago.

Before this gets farther off topic, in regards to the 430 for sale downthere, the owner is an old guy, he likely don't do much internet, so the fact that he's got an ad up there at all is an accomplishment I suppose. He relies on someone else to take the pics and post the ads. He can read and reply to emails, but I certainly wouldn't expect someone to buy a fancy camera or get high speed internet just to sell one item. I'm not even sure high speed is available there. I know the place I've got down there doesn't even have natural gas, sewers, or city water and there's no cable tv. Its why I never moved there full time.

AlI can say is that I've seen that tractor up close, its a decent machine, if someone wanted to put it to work today, all it would likely need is a battery. He's got the deck, and its pretty clean, he's got the parts to mount it as well. The thing runs, he's used it to move a wagon around and uses it on occasion for yard work but the deck will not ever be on it while its there because it won't fit into the yard with it on the tractor. and like me, he has no use for a mower, and little use for a big machine like that. People seem to read something into the ads that's just not the case. He's selling it because he don't need it. No one with a 75x75 or so lot needs a 60 in cut mower or a diesel tractor.
I spoke with him over the weekend and to date he's only had one person email him about the thing in two years. Even after 8 pages of discussion here, only one person has so much as emailed and asked about it.
If it were mine, I'd have parted the thing out and crushed it up for scrap a long time ago but he doesn't want to see a good machine get parted out.

·
Registered
999 Posts
This has been an interesting thread that has gone far from the original topic.

I think the big difference between CL/FB and eBay is that eBay has reputation and reviews and the eBay guarantee (for whatever it is worth). With eBay it is possible to get some confidence that you are dealing with someone who will actually delivery on what they promised. I have bought quite a bit of stuff on there with very few issues, so I tend to believe I will get what was promised most of the time (but still do my due diligence).

With CL it is hard to know who is on the other end. It could be a perfectly reasonable person who just has something they no longer need, or someone it would be better to avoid. I have had some good CL finds and a couple of weirdos that it would have been better to avoid. I have a high bar for CL ads. I look at all of them, but don't contact any that even (possibly inadvertently) hint at something odd/fishy. Does that mean that I will miss out on some possibly good deals? Absolutely, and I am fine with that. This is the place that marketing comes in. If you have something that many people want, it is restively easy to sell it for a good price. If there are only a few people who might be interested, it can be much harder. It sounds like that part of the country doesn't have a lot of people who are interested in 30 year old garden tractors. I am sure if the seller were located in the PNW, he would have been able to sell it a long time ago even with the ad the way it was. There are people around here who would have been willing to go look and make an offer.

Perhaps the seller should list the tractor in surrounding area CL. I have seen people do that to cast a wider net. I was lucky that the buyer of my chipper was willing to drive 2+ hours to check it out. I drove farther than that to buy my X534. I got lucky with the snowblower I just bought as it was only 2mi away.

I guess these are just very strange times. For "reasons" things are either very expensive and/or hard to find.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think that guy has that thing listed in several surrounding areas, roughly a 300 mile radius or so. I did notice the ad has some more pics this morning.

As for eBay, I've had good and bad experiences there. As a seller, I got tired of non paying bidders, I listed and sold a set of rims that totaled $135 to the winning bidder The guy emailed me to confirm that the shipping was correct, and it was, and then when he won the auction, out of three bidders, he never paid. I blocked the guy after going through eBay's waiting game, and relisted them. They sold again, this time for $177 with less shipping to a closer buyer. The guy emailed me and asked if he could pick them up, I said sure, but he never showed up after making 7 appointments to come get them. Again, they get relisted, again they sell, this time for $200 with shipping, the buyer never responds, and a week later the buyer is 'no longer a registered user'. They go up again, and again they sell, this time for $144 with shipping, I get an email from the guy asking to be let out of the sale because his wife found out he bid on tractor parts. At that point I gave up. I gave them to a buddy to take to an automotive swap meet, he got $200 cash for them there.
Around that same time, early last year, I had 221 won sales, out of that 18 were non paying bidders, two returned new items for no apparent reason, and ebay cancelled four because of they were supposedly not allowed to be listed on eBay. One item was an antique gun scabbard, another was a automatic seeder, the other two were bicycle wheel skewers for an old French bike. I just gave up, now if I have something to go on eBay I give it to someone else to sell and deal with.
As a buyer, its about 50/50 in getting what was advertised in the condition they said it would be in. I give up buying anything used there though unless there's absolutely no other option.

With CL at least I can see what I'm buying before I buy it. The biggest problem as a seller for me is that about 95% of the people who call and say their coming to see something never show up. They must call just for fun. I've even called a few after the fact and rarely do they answer the phone after not showing up.
The worst new trend is people trying to return things months later. I had a guy get made when I wouldn't take a push mower back I sold him in May just last week. He said it uses too much gas and he decided after using it all summer he'd rather buy an electric one. I told him to sell it then, I'm not giving him his money back. He threatened to take me to small claims court, I recorded all his calls and saved all his emails. The bad part is he's not the first, I had a several such cases over the past three years.
I've never been able to buy or sell anything on FB, no one has ever gotten back to me for some reason.

A lot of this may be off topic from the original subject but its been interesting none the less.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I am guessing that anybody who has sold or bought more than a few things has horror stories of sales gone bad. I know that the concern for that is what causes me to hesitate both buying and listing stuff for sale. It took me years to get the courage to list my old chipper for sale. It was easier to just not deal with it. It wasn't until I decided that I really needed the space it was taking in the shed for something useful. It did take a month or two to sell it, but I got close to my asking price for it and I felt it was a fair price to both buyer and seller. It really was in like new condition, since I had probably only used it for at most 20 hours, but it was 10 years old. I guess my timing was right with that and also an old wheeled blower that I listed about the same time. In both cases, the sale was pretty easy. I have had people not show up, so I expect that is more common than most people would like.

·
Super Moderator
31,041 Posts
I bought my 2nd 322 from a craigslist ad that someone reposted on the forum. When I showed up with the trailer and the money the guy told me that he was glad to see me actually show up and on time. I asked him why he said it, he said that he'd had nothing but bad experience with CL buyers before.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Something I've noticed recently when using FB marketplace is some sales show up when searching on my phone FB app but not on my tablet FB app, despite same account and search setting.
I noticed when on my phone the seller I bought my 445 from selling another 445. I tried tracking it later using my tablet and the posting was gone, but still for sale when using my phone.
Wonder if some listings simply don't show up for some.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought my 2nd 322 from a craigslist ad that someone reposted on the forum. When I showed up with the trailer and the money the guy told me that he was glad to see me actually show up and on time. I asked him why he said it, he said that he'd had nothing but bad experience with CL buyers before.
I get the same thing all the time, sellers aren't just glad you showed up on time, their glad you showed up at all.

I actually had a woman who was coming to look at a bicycle I had listed call me and tell me she couldn't make it the other day, she apologized and said she was just passing through the area and was hoping she could get over my way to check out the bike but she was running late on her way to Maine and wouldn't be in the area till the wee hours of the morning. That was a first for me, the norm is just a flat out no show and no further contact.
From my conversation with her, I had my doubts she was going to fit on the bike anyhow, but it was nice to see some people still have some common courtesy.

Years ago usually if they showed up, they were mostly serious buyers, but lately I get a lot who show up with no money. I had a guy yesterday show up to look at an antique radio I had listed for a really good price. He spent a half hour looking it over and getting permission from his wife who was with him, then he turned to me and asked if I took trades. He had showed up with only $20 to look at a $100 item. He wanted to know if I'd trade for a bunch of broken cell phones and a pair of cheap bicycle wheels. He got mad and said I wasted HIS time when I said I wasn't interested in any trades.

I saw the ad for that 430 got renewed with some new pics yesterday, it looks better than it did before in the new pics. A battery and a few hours with some sandpaper and paint and that thing looking new. My guess is it'll probably sell pretty quick now with the better pics. Someone will spot it from further away and make the drive and get themselves a cool winter project. It doesn't look like it'll take much to pretty that thing up and get it ready for spring.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
I live about 2 hours away and have seen this listing. Was unsure why the seller is adamant that they are sold together. Maybe the seller was... encouraged by their spouse to downside and it's a shot.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I live about 2 hours away and have seen this listing. Was unsure why the seller is adamant that they are sold together. Maybe the seller was... encouraged by their spouse to downside and it's a shot.
"Sorry Honey, I have had them listed for more than a month now, and no one seems to want them." :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
I like the loader set up but would have zero use for the snow blower.

I'm more a fan of a snow plow than a blower. A driveway paved with loose stones doesn't do well with a snow blower.

I had a loader on an older Bolens years ago, it came in handy but it was more or less just a light gardening tool. I could see where it would be good for a guy who needs something to clean out barn stalls though.

There was one in NJ a while back for $8500 with a cab, snow blower, and deck, it got dropped to $6500 FIRM before the ad was taken down. I'm not sure if it sold or not.
I think the hours were in the 4000 range. It was listed for the better part of two seasons though, I've not seen it again since so either they gave up on selling it or it found a new home.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Also, what is that sticking up through the hood on the one with the snow blower?
Neither one of those is particularly in really nice shape, they both look well used.
I also don't see any pics of the decks.
The one with the loader likely needs some sort of rear weights and ballast to make that really a usable loader set up.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Something I've noticed recently when using FB marketplace is some sales show up when searching on my phone FB app but not on my tablet FB app, despite same account and search setting.
I noticed when on my phone the seller I bought my 445 from selling another 445. I tried tracking it later using my tablet and the posting was gone, but still for sale when using my phone.
Wonder if some listings simply don't show up for some.
I get the same thing here. What shows up on my computer at work is different than what shows up at home, and what shows up on my notebook is again a different list of items.
The most annoying thing is that it refuses to search by distance, I put in 200 mi radius max and get one or two local or somewhat local items, then the rest of the page is irrelavent or 500 miles away. I also notice that both CL and FB have a very different idea as to what's local and what's not. I put in a maximum number of miles and get items five times that far away, or nothing at all sometimes.
I do a search on FB, set the max at 60 miles, and get four items that are actually somewhat close to me, then the rest range from VA to FL or even the other side of the country.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I get the same thing here. What shows up on my computer at work is different than what shows up at home, and what shows up on my notebook is again a different list of items.
The most annoying thing is that it refuses to search by distance, I put in 200 mi radius max and get one or two local or somewhat local items, then the rest of the page is irrelavent or 500 miles away. I also notice that both CL and FB have a very different idea as to what's local and what's not. I put in a maximum number of miles and get items five times that far away, or nothing at all sometimes.
I do a search on FB, set the max at 60 miles, and get four items that are actually somewhat close to me, then the rest range from VA to FL or even the other side of the country.
They want to return a bunch of results..... so, if they don't find enough that meet your criteria, they include stuff that has at least a couple of your search terms, and it goes downhill from there.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Yeah, but those are intermingled. On FB Marketplace I've scrolled until I'm seeing distant stuff (several states away), then suddenly there's an item that's like 2 towns away, and is within my search radius. It's really frustrating, when there are items near me, but it insists on telling about random distant listings.

CL's search function is far superior, IMO.

·
5,857 Posts
I have had instances in which I see 2 items I want to check out...right next to each other...I click on one ...take a look...hit the back arrow...and the other thing is gone!...I put my Town in...within 100 miles and I get stuff from the midwest...over 1500 miles away

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Take a look at this beauty! He'll never get what he is asking but it is a beautiful 430.

·
Super Moderator
31,041 Posts
Take a look at this beauty! He'll never get what he is asking but it is a beautiful 430.
Some love was given to that 430, probably get $4K or around there. Looks like some of the ones that go to PA Plow Day!

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
This was down below that tractor inspector posted. 1956 F350 dump truck for $1200? Is that true or an auction. I would go get that. It is only 30 miles away.

161 - 180 of 220 Posts