My Tractor Forum banner

141 - 160 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts

I have a tilt dump MCS. It does make the front end light sometimes even with the weights. I removed the blower engine and adapted to the pflow. You can dump without getting off the seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
636 Posts
This has been an interesting thread. I live within driving distance. For me, that's about 5 hours each way, plus a motel over night. This is closer. But, I bought an X540 and a 4X4 loader recently, so, I'm a little short on space. I'm on vacation and saw an X300 in a yard I'm going to ask about. I've always wanted a 430, and I passed on one that sold in one weekend for $3200, 40 miles from home. So, I'm not going to look at this 430. Not to be rude, but, I'm ready to shoot this poor dead horse one more time. Let it rust in pieces.

·
16,474 Posts
Battery is a BCI Group, 22F
/////////////////////////////////

That is an 'older style car battery group number--a lot of the 60/70's small Ford's used those. I can't believe you can't find a battery around there--of course saying that about the battery size--and grouping --you have moved from a smaller/cheap L/G battery into another 'tier' of priceing--$$ goes up up into automotive/truck. Whole different ball game. Also--that 'older' part number is not real popular , anymore. That could be another m you didn't know about. Go to\pend a little money to make a little. I only speak this b causek, I work an auto supply business--and I happen to know what is stocked and available. Any good store can get one in overnight- Good luck w/ this project-
glenn

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Its a good thing he didn't waste the money on a battery, if he bought a new battery for it in Jan when that ad went up, it would likely have died of non use by now.
Its not that a battery can't be found, its that an affordable one can't be found. JD has them, $148.99. The $49.99 Walmart battery rack no longer stocks them nor the lawn and garden battery sizes there.

I was down there over the weekend, he had the thing running and was using it to pull a wagon around spreading a load of dirt, it runs good. He told me he had one email all year but no one ever called or showed up to see it. He did update the pics of the deck, the deck he sold was the first one pictured, the ad now shows the other deck, also a 60" cut. After talking to him, I think parts of the problem with ad pics is that he doesn't have a camera that can take pics, just a cell phone that only does black and white pics in very low quality. He's got one of those AARP phones they used to advertise on TV. Its something like 1.1mp or something really low like that. He lowed the ad to $2400 cash,John Deere 430 Diesel Garden Tractor - farm & garden - by owner - sale but I think it should be worth more than that. I think that's getting into parts tractor territory for these.
I had a gas powered 318 that sold for nearly that much in lesser condition two years ago.

They started running some in person auctions again here over the weekend, I watched a half dozen older JD tractors go unsold. Including a 455 that ran, had a bagger, snowblower, and small trailer with it. They couldn't get a bid at $1,000 and wouldn't go any lower. There was a 112 that sold for $60 without a deck but it ran, and two newer Cub Cadet 2130/35 models that went for $450 and $500 both with 44" decks, neither one would start and stay running but they did 'run'. The 455 JD ran, had a decent enough looking deck and it got no bids. I think a lot of time had passed between when the guy passed away and when they held the auction, at least a few years or so. Which means all that stuff has been sitting there unused all this time. Its no wonder things didn't run right or wouldn't start at all.

It was a strange auction in that not a single person was really mulling around any of the stuff in the garage, those that bid didn't likely know what they bought, and most were looking at it all as scrap only.
I've started to get a lot of that even on CL myself. I listed something for $200, and get $3 offers and page long explanations why its no good and not worth anything, and at the end they make a low ball offer. More than half the CL emails are a waste of time lately, FB gets zero replies to anything, and eBay gets more non-paying bidders than buying customers. I had a friend list a pair of 50lb wheel weights on ebay, they sold $131 plus $35 shipping. She never heard a thing from the winning bidder. Two weeks later they go back up, and they go off again at $140 and the winning bidder wants lower shipping because he found them cheaper at Walmart or something. They again went unpaid, they went four rounds like that till she gave up. The same thing happened with a bunch of Massey parts, the items go off sky high and the winner disappears into thin air.

CL and FB have been getting even stranger lately, it seems even most sellers don't reply lately, things go on listed for months, but from day one no one replies back. In four years now I've never once been able to buy anything on FB, no one ever replies to messages or the few that do won't give an address or phone number so you can actually meet up to buy anything.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It doesn't say it don't run either though?

I don't know what's up with batteries lately, Walmart here has been out of stock on nearly everything all year. They never have any of their $50 Value batteries in stock, the L&G batteries are gone, and the Everstart rack usually only has one or two odd sizes on it. The group 11, 22, 51, and 24 batteries and all deep cycle batteries have been gone all year.
The same with Tractor Supply. Napa can get anything you want but they want top dollar. Who wants to pay $117 for a battery for their garden tractor. Let alone the $150 Deere wants for theirs.

The price of batteries has been getting out of hand lately, they don't last like the older one's did and they cost 10 times as much. In 2012 I put a new battery in my truck, it cost me $69 at Walmart. I replaced it again last fall, the same battery was $122. That was Walmart, go to a parts store or dealer and you pay even more.

I can't blame the seller there for not buying a battery, if its not getting any replies, a new battery will likely be junk after a year or two of non use, and it'll likely discharge enough sitting to freeze over the winter. I gave up keeping good batteries in my tractors, I just keep one jumper pack and use that when I need one to start and run. $40 for a jumper pack beats spending $110 for a new battery that I'd only have to move from tractor to tractor each time I wanted to use it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
But if it runs, what's the harm in saying it? I think the price is a very good price for a running 430 that looks pretty good. I'm not looking for one, but it would make me think about it. But then I see it doesn't say whether it runs and I assume someone would say it runs if it did. So then I'd put it out of my mind. Why risk a buyer not asking when you could get past that with a sentence that says "runs, drives and cuts."

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
A 455 with a bagger, blower, deck, and trailer, and no bites at $1,000?? Wow. There's a gentleman here who's trying to buy a 455 at the moment.

@Wildman1024 , paging you, just in case this 455 is useful to know about.

·
Registered
473 Posts
But if it runs, what's the harm in saying it? I think the price is a very good price for a running 430 that looks pretty good. I'm not looking for one, but it would make me think about it. But then I see it doesn't say whether it runs and I assume someone would say it runs if it did. So then I'd put it out of my mind. Why risk a buyer not asking when you could get past that with a sentence that says "runs, drives and cuts."
Local JD dealer had I think a 335 listed, wasn't pretty, but a simple description:
"Runs good, moves good, will make tall grass short."
Sold quite quickly.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
I've never seen anything used on the few JD lots I've been to. They have mostly small CUTs out front, then the big stuff off to the one side, and the floor is covered in zero turn mowers. There's almost no small garden tractors, new or used. If you want to cut grass, they push the $20k zero turns, if you want a tractor, they push the compacts. The only thing I saw with a belly deck on it was a 2038R, for $32k fully loaded with a loader, hoe, and deck. Some little honey came out with a smooth sales pitch bright and early in the morning almost the instant I pulled in the lot and got out of the truck. The whole sales staff is young girls, probably a smart idea but she spent a good hour trying to sell me a mower I absolutely had no intention of buying. I had gone there for a set of keys and some parts for an X728 I bought at an auction cheap with only 248 hours on it from an estate sale last Wed.

While I was there I noticed they had 22MF batteries and 11R batteries on display with a big season ending sale, 22MF was 129.99, U1R was 98.99. Both were JD branded.
I went from there to Lowes and they had 22MF batteries in stock for $78.99, which is cheaper than Walmart's Everstart but $29 more than their usually Value line, neither of which do they currently seem to have in stock. Lowes had three 22MF batteries on the rack, and at least 15 of the U1R and U1 models for the smaller tractors. Their U1R batteries were $40. and dated 2/20.
I needed a plain 22F with reverse terminals for an Allis Chalmers and wasn't able to find one, I could have used the 22MF but I'd have to reconfigure the cables. I don't like having the B+ terminal right next to the steel sides of the battery box so I'll hold out for the right battery. The only two sizes I've seen that fit are a 22F or 51R on that tractor.
I'll keep using the jumper box for now I guess.
$39 for a jumper box is a lot cheaper than an $80 or higher battery.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm not sure what's up with Walmart lately, its gone beyond just lack of inventory on paper products and the usual brands they don't seem to be stocking many common items and they don't restock when something runs out. The battery rack here has been picked over, no L&G batteries, no deep cycle batteries, and only a select few sizes of car batteries. They have a big stock of the odd foreign car batteries but nothing for anything else. The one guy working there said they haven't been getting any in lately. The same with other departments, basic things like socks, shoes, and shirts are all but gone, only the most expensive name brands remain and nothing else. The cereal isle was stocked full, but the canned goods was less than half stocked. Frozen foods are also picked over bad, they've had no orange juice in months, things like eggs and milk are in short supply and they run out constantly. I can understand items that come from China being out of stock due to the current crisis but not local items like milk and eggs.
Batteries at Walmart come from East Penn, other stores that carry their batteries don't have an issue, only Walmart. (Lowes batteries are also from East Penn (Deka).
In the store, I don't see people buying up the items that are in short supply, they're not there in the first place to buy.

My biggest concern about running with a bad battery is the fact that it can be hard on the charging system if the battery is shorted or unable to take a charge. If a 22nr can't be had maybe converting to a larger U1R might be an option. If a jumper pack is starting that thing, then a U1R will likely get the job done. Iive seen them as high as 375cca and even the larger capacity versions can be had for under $50.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
That's cool, my U1 is 350CCA. Either I didn't come across higher-amperage ones, or they seemed less-compelling, price-wise.

U1:
U1L 12 volt lawn mower and utility replacement battery - SLIU1XHD at Batteries Plus Bulbs

U1R:
Heavy Duty Duracell Ultra U1 Lawn Tractor Battery - SLIU1RXHD at Batteries Plus Bulbs
Note that Batteries Plus has a 10% coupon code, if you buy online, and pick up in-store.

I haven't been to our W-M in a while. But the stock levels at our normal supermarket have seemed decent recently.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
The specs say that one is 410 Cranking Amps (at 32 F), 350 Cold Cranking Amps (at 0F).

I was going to be very impressed if it was 410 CCA for $40! But still, it's the same CCA as mine, and I paid a few dollars more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My cousin got a 420 recently, pretty sure they're roughly the same. Really good tractor. Sounds like his price is in the ball park try to talk him down.

·
Premium Member
4,153 Posts
Might be that Walmart is trying to get a bunch of money from their suppliers to pay for upgrading their stores and website...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
I was just looking at the battery in my Cub Cadet Zero turn, not sure who made it, its badged Cub Cadet, it's marked 375CCA. It came with the machine a year ago. I have one Walmart U1 that's marked 350CCA, and an older John Deere U1 that came out of an X728 that's marked 375CCA and 410a cranking.
The best I could find right now online was an Interstate at 350cca : www.interstatebatteries.com/products/sp-40
I like how you spend $60 for a battery like that and get only a 6 mo. warranty.
The bad part about the U1 size batteries is that they don't last as long as the larger batteries.
When I was running my simplicity and Allis Chalmers tractors at my old place I'd get 3 years out of a group 22 battery and 4 or 5 years from a group 51 automotive battery, and they weren't costing me more than $50 or $60 each.

I got one, maybe two seasons out of the U1 batteries. They were usually fine through the first season, then if they survived the winter, I sometimes would get part of the next season out of them before they just wouldn't hold a charge anymore.
I kept getting told that it was due to some tractors not having a voltage regulator and the batteries therefore had a rough life often being over or undercharged depending on run time. I didn't buy that because those old Briggs motors just didn't put out that kind of current. They charged at only a couple of amps tops. It was the three or four months of sitting over the winter that did the most harm, even with the occasional start and run to push snow, in the cold, those batteries weren't a fraction of what they were in the summer when the engine turned over much easier. I have a pair of Cub Cadet 2135s right now, I run the highest rated U1 I can find on those, they only call for the minimum size battery but they do much better with the 300cca or higher versions when they sit. I only use them on occasion, one cuts grass around the shop, the other is only used at home to cut between the garage and fence where the larger machines can't go. This season I think I only started that one two or three times. The grass there just don't grow that fast. I trickle charge it though every few months. I don't expect that battery to be around beyond this season though, its dated 3/19. and its already sounding a bit weak when it sits more than a few weeks. Every so often though I've gotten one that lasted for a four or more years, but its rare. The last battery in it was 8 years old and it came from Walmart. It died all at once though last spring.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Over the last two days I've been reading through this whole thread, its what made me sign up here.
I've been watching that 430 on CL for two years, I absolutely cannot believe no one has snagged that thing up.
If I had the need these days, I'd be all over that thing. Its complete, got reasonably low hours for the year, and regardless of what
the guy was asking, wouldn't a real buyer just make an offer and see where it goes from there?
I can't imagine folks have completely forgotten how to deal these days. If I see something I want, the asking price to me is just a starting point,
the guy could be asking $10k for all I care, I'm going to offer what I'm willing to pay.
The one thing I won't do is bargain over the phone or by email, I'd absolutely have to go see it in person. I will not make any offer if not in person.
Its not eBay, its not an auction.
$2400 is a very fair price for one of those, and that one looks pretty good from what I can see of it. The deck looks to be in exceptional condition, the hood isn't all battered to pieces and the thing is complete. I don't see anything wrong with the ad. If I'm looking for a tractor, it wouldn't matter to me where its at or who had it. It could be at a junk yard for all I care, it it suits my needs, I really don't care where its at or who owns it. I bought a van a couple of years ago from a junk yard, it had 70k on it, ran and drove fine, it belonged to the owner's father-in-law. He had passed away and he was storing it at his place of business while it was for sale. The pictures showing a pile of old washing machines and scrap behind it didn't give me any impression at all, other than there was a van for sale there. I think people read too much into things and they over think things.
If I see something I'm interested in, I go see it, then if its something I want I'll make an offer. What's around the item in the pic has doesn't mean a thing to me.

Two years ago I inherited an 2012 X728ASE with a rear bag attachment and with almost no hours on it. A relative had passed away who had a pair of them. I took one, his son took the other one. It had 111 hours on it.
I listed it for $8500 on CL in NJ, (The original receipt we found was for $11,882 from 2012), I would have taken $6500 cash. I didn't get a single reply in 6 months. I lowered the price twice down to my bottom line but no replies. I finally took it to a friends house in MD, she put it out on her lawn there and I put up a CL ad with her info there.
I used the same pics. but raised the price to $8,999. She called me the next evening and said she sold it. The guy who bought it was from NJ. That was in 2017.
He told here he had been watching one just like it in NJ but hers looked to be in better shape. The pics were the same exact ones I used in the ad here.

FB and CL get almost no response here for some reason, regardless of what your selling. People either don't look at those sights or don't have the money to spend. Nearly every last thing I've ever sold on CL or FB has been to people who drove two or more hours to come get it. Very rarely does anything sell locally, nearly all of those who showed up from around the area were just shopping for sport I suppose and not serious buyers.
I'd have to say that fewer than 1 in 100 replies are local to anything I list, and out of those, only two were ever buyers. Just the same, I don't think I've ever bought anything local either off CL or FB, nearly every thing I've found there has been more than an hour away or more.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I advertise on craigslist simply BECAUSE it reaches a wider audience..... I have sold some truly esoteric items there.... and on EBay. (jaguar xke parts, for instance. :) Very rarely have I sold anything to someone local. (maybe a car, or truck....)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I sell a lot on CL but not many of the ads in NJ get any replies, the same ad placed 100 mile away sells everytime, but if I list local I get no replies. Its been that way for 10 years now. FB Marketplace has been a bigger waste of time, I don't get any replies from that, when I do they insist on texting or they want to meet somewhere. I don't deliver anything, if someone wants it, they have to come see it at my house. I'm not meeting anyone 'half way only for them to say they don't want it.
If someone buys something, I have no problem helping them get it home if its a larger item but I'm not hauling it 50 miles for someone just to look at it.
The biggest issue lately with CL is all the BS emails. When an item first goes up or first gets renewed, I get 15 or so "Still for sale" or blank emails every time each with no other info. Forget posting a phone number, you'll have to throw that number away afterwards. I did that with my last phone, all I got was sales pitches for credit cards, timeshares, and at least fifty outright scammers trying to get personal info.
The ads with phone numbers rarely answer, most are generic answering machines that don't reply. I've been trying to buy an outboard that's been on CL for a couple months, the ad keeps getting renewed but the seller never replies to either email or phone calls. The ad has been renewed five times now, its been up for over 50 days. To top it off, they put another ad up on a neighboring area CL with a note that they tried to sell it locally but got no replies? I've run into dozens like this lately. Seemingly desireable items that go unsold for what's a fair price that keep getting relisted over and over again.

The BS I got over that stuff was crazy. For instance, A buddy closed up his tackle shop to retire and was helping him sell off the remaining inventory. I listed brand new Shimano Bait Runner reels, new in the box for $60 each. I got $10 and $15 offers, and page long explanations of why the reel I was selling wasn't worth any more than what they were offering. They were the same people who got mad when the ad was gone and they were sold. I think some people think that because an ad is up for months you only have one and it won't sell for some reason, not that you have 100 of the same item to sell.

What I really had a hard time understanding is that I've had numerous people who didn't want to pay my price on CL turn around and buy the same item off me on eBay for double or more, plus shipping. Then come back and buy second and thirds of the same item on eBay for that price, all while there was still an ad on CL for the same item for half or less. They offered almost nothing for it new in the box on CL yet paid full retail on eBay. I see that over and over again. I just had it happen with surf lures. I found another 12 cases of Bomber surf lures, all larger, listed them 3 for $10 on CL but didn't get a single offer. I put them individually on eBay and got $7 to $10 each plus shipping. While they were up, I got emails from low ballers on CL telling me they were too much money and that they'd give me $1 each for all of them even while they were selling on eBay. One guy told me he could buy the same thing at Walmart for less, then turned around and bought them from me on eBay for twice what I had them for on CL.

I pretty much gave up trying to figure out people like that.
I'm not originally from this area, I moved here 12 years ago, I never saw stuff like this where I lived before.
I track my sales closely. About 1 in 3 persons who says their on their way never show up, 1 out of 5 replies with a nonsense message that don't make any sense, and 1 in 10 or so who do show up don't buy or have no money when they get here. I've had people drive hours to come 'look' at something, only to say they wished they could afford it, but they don't have any money? 1 in every 12 or so emails is an offer for some type of worthless trade, they want to trade your new item for some broken down pile of trash or a broken Iphone or similar. The lastest has been people trying to trade for store credit certificates from Home Depot and Lowes. No clue if they're real or fake but I list to make spare cash, not more junk in the garage.
That sort of thing never happened where I lived before, nearly every person showed up and bought, no shows were rare.

People also don't seem to look past the first page of CL, if its not on top, they'll never see it here.
I get emails on items when they first list, and when the ad is about to go down at 45 days.
Those that email at 45 days never buy or they offer almost nothing for the item and get made when you relist it.

The number one seller is tools and old tool boxes, second is old clothes.
Broken things sell faster than items described as perfect working order.
I've described perfectly good working items that won't sell as 'Used. needs work' and they sell instantly for the same price and found that if I just discount the ad saying its new or in perfect shape it will never sell. I found this to be the case with most electronic items. Stereo's speakers, etc. They won't take it for free in perfect condition but will buy it for top dollar broken in need of repair. When I bought this house the last owner left two beds behind upstairs. I had two full size mattress' and box springs to get rid of. I listed them as clean, likely never used out of spare bedrooms and got no replies for $5 each. I listed them for $100 each, used. with no other explanation and they were gone in an hour. I listed two stained single beds for free but got no takers, I put them on the lawn for sale for $25 and they sold after sitting out there in the rain all day.

141 - 160 of 220 Posts