My Tractor Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 140 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I tried a tractor with hand controls, (a 430.... at that) and really didn't care for it. Both my mowing tractors are foot control, and I have no trouble maintaining a good mowing speed, and its far easier for me to maintain fine speed control around obstacles and such. My yard is pretty lumpy, but, my tractors are also pretty heavy, and both have suspension seats... So, it isn't too bad...... I mowed with a zero turn here once, and hated it. Sure, I could mow really fast..... but, since my yard IS pretty lumpy, it beat the snot out of me. When I was done, I felt MUCH worse than I did after using my tractor to mow.....

I suppose, which you prefer all depends on what you are used to.....

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
So, I will say FB Marketplace gives varying search results. Yesterday I found this:

Which looked interesting to me. I think I might be in the market for something more tractor like than my X534. But, I want AWS for agility. This looks pretty good, but is really high hours. I don't have FB, so I would have to get my wife to make initial contact. This machine is not on CL, which seems like a mistake for the seller. If this were on CL it would have sold last week, unless it really is much worse than it appears.

I am going to keep watching this, but it seems like with 1875 hours it is going to be in need of an engine rebuild very soon.

This ad isn't great, but it also isn't really bad. It doesn't appear to be a complete scam like some of the other ads that appeared.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Forgot to add that when I looked for it again later on a different computer, the ad didn't show up. I thought, wow it sold. Then I searched for X475 instead of Deere mower and it showed right away. So, FB does a poor job of returning relevant results, but makes sure to return lots of results always. The phone version is the worst with relevancy. The website from a desktop computer seemed to do a better job.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Back to the original post, I think the asking price is $1k too high. To be a $3k tractor it needs the seat pan painted, deck installed and a functioning battery.

The trouble with the 430’s is that the implements that fit them are scarce. If you want to do snow removal the blowers or plows only fit the 430 and 420 (without fabrication)

Loaders are rare.

IF you can find a rear PTO, it is a 2000rpm so the attachments are rare.
At least Reugg makes a nice 3 point hitch if you wanted to pull universal attachments.

End of the day, it is only a 30+ year old ballsy mower that needs work for sale in an area that doesn’t have lots of big lawns. If he wants to move it, $1500-2000 is more reasonable(regardless of what he paid).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rarefish383

·
Registered
39 Posts
What does his 'asking' price have to do with anything? What difference does it make if the guy was asking $20k for it, its still only worth what its worth.

I would think that regardless of what he's asking someone would have looked at it and made an offer, but he's not had a single person look at the tractor.

I bought a truck on Sat. The guy was asking $10,000. The ad was up for a month, I knocked around the idea of owning it but I felt at best it was worth have of what he was asking. I emailed him and went to see it, it was better than I was expecting but still a 20 year old truck. I offered him $2500 cash. He took it. He said that's about what he figured it was worth too. He said If he had been asking $2500, everyone would have wanted it for $1500 or maybe $500. If he had been asking $2500 for the truck, I likely wouldn't have ever looked at the ad figuring it was just an overpriced $500 truck.
If that JD was mine, I'd raise that price to at least $4500, it'll likely get him a whole different type of buyer looking at it.

I listed a motorcycle I bought at an estate sale two years ago, the thing was bordered on being rough, it ran but needed carb work and tires, and it had ton of rusty chrome that needed hours of polishing. I bought the bike for $200. Book value was $3500 in mint condition. This one was far from mint. Most were selling here for $800. I cleaned the chrome with hydrochloric acid and water mix, it stripped off all rust instantly, gave it a coat of clear spray paint over all the bad areas, pumped up and cleaned the tires, shined up the seat and paint, and listed it for $3500 obo. I got no replies at all. After a month I doubled the price and relisted it with a new ad with new pics. It sold for $4500 the next evening, the buyer drove 400 miles to come get it. He told me he was looking at one just like it in my area the week before for $3500, but was afraid that being that cheap it was likely junk.
Mine was the only one listed there for a month or more.

A woman I know is a marketing strategist for the supermarket chain she works for, she tells me that a sudden price jump triggers many to buy with the rational that prices may go even higher and they'll miss out. Dropping the price makes people think something is wrong with it and they stay away just the same or give the impression that the seller is desparate.

As a seller, you can always go down, but you can't higher than what your asking.
I don't see were a bit of paint on the fender pan makes much difference, the type of buyer that should be bying that thing is likely very capable of painting it himself, and likely prefers to do his own work.

What is the engine in that 430 worth? I would think they they used that in more than one model, I'm surprised no one made an offer for just the engine. JD parts aren't cheap, I would figure a running used motor would have decent value in itself? I constantly keep seeing small Kubota engines being retrofit into all sorts of equipment, and even boats lately, I would think that Yanmar would be just as desirable as well?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
So, I will say FB Marketplace gives varying search results. Yesterday I found this:

Which looked interesting to me. I think I might be in the market for something more tractor like than my X534. But, I want AWS for agility. This looks pretty good, but is really high hours. I don't have FB, so I would have to get my wife to make initial contact. This machine is not on CL, which seems like a mistake for the seller. If this were on CL it would have sold last week, unless it really is much worse than it appears.

I am going to keep watching this, but it seems like with 1875 hours it is going to be in need of an engine rebuild very soon.

This ad isn't great, but it also isn't really bad. It doesn't appear to be a complete scam like some of the other ads that appeared.
1875 hours on a gas engine is a lot different then 1500 on a diesel engine too. Even most auto manufacturers only estimate first overhaul at 1500 hours on their V8 engines, the small block Ford and Chevy were 1500, Chrysler stretched it to 1750 in a few of their commercial truck brochures back in the 80's. Now they say 3,000 hours or more on most recent motor designs. I've personally had several Ford and GM engines last well past the 300K mark with minimal care at work. With the 4.6L Ford going the farthest at 422k and still counting but we sold it at 399,440 miles to a local fleamarket vender in town. I sold my 2001 GMC with a 4.8L at 347,500 miles in favor of a diesel three years ago.
(I had a 1986 F250 with a 6.9L diesel that went 620,000 miles on the original engine and trans, but with two clutch changes and a few sets of U joints. As far as I know that's still on the road too).

I don't think anyone looking at a 430 is the same type of buyer who would be looking at any later model tractor. I fully agree that the 430 is well into collector territory now. Anyone looking to mow big lawns would be best advised to buy something purpose oriented. Most in that situation though in this area are more likely to just hire a lawn service. More than half the people where that 430 is use a lawn service, even to mow their tiny lawns. only a few older guys still push a mower, one or two have big box store tractors.A few though do have old vintage garden tractors rigged up with tillers or dirt plows for their tiny gardens. Very few own decks for those old tractors. Myself, for my AC tractors, I have two snow plows, a belly grader, two Brinly plows, and
If a Brinly disc, and a PTO generator that I'll likely never used. All of which are sleeve hitch or AC/Simplicity specific attachments. So its not a surprise that the 420/430 tractors use their own implements either.
If I were to buy that 430 myself, I'd be looking at likely dumping another 3k or so into it just to make it useable for my purposes, I'd likely have to find a plow and adapter, two ag tires, and some weights. Then I'd likely want a three point hitch, and a disc and plow set up for it, maybe even a small loader. That all would likely top the 3k mark pretty fast. Add in a full service, filters and fluids, a new battery if I do rear ag tires I'd want better front tires, especially with a loader. I'd likely also spring for a new grille and a factory yellow seat. But I'd likely spend that on any 430 I bought, regardless of what I spent. I've yet to see one with a perfect grill, most have cracked hoods, all later models seem to have paint peeling issues, an very few have good ag tires on them and very few seem to have wheel weights.
All of that though is just talk, I have no need for any such machine and I'm happy with the equipment I do own.

My days of buying anything and making it my own by changing or adding anything are long gone. I buy what works and stick with it.
I've not been back down to my place in NJ in over a week, but I see the ad still up so he's not parted it out yet, but he made it clear it will not spend the winter there again. I'm expecting to see it listed part by part any day now.

I stopped at the local Simplicity dealer here becase I wanted to see if they stocked a battery for the older models, which would be the same as that 430, but they told me they don't keep anything but the U1R in stock these days and even those are scarce lately. They only had a gel cell version of the U1 battery in stock for $143.99 with only 290 cca.
You could probably get away with the smaller battery in the 430, after all it starts with a dead battery and a cheap Harbor Freight jumper pack but the smaller battery likely won't fit the factory clamping system very well.

·
Registered
466 Posts
good shape 1500 hours with a 3 pt for $2500...been for sale for a few weeks

·
Registered
97 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,549 Posts
$1,900? Wow. What on earth is the giant thing off the back of it?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think it's a powerflow that will hydraulically dump into a pickup bed. I think they are neat and sought after but not neat enough for me to own one! I bet filled it makes the front of the machine light!

·
Premium Member
2,549 Posts
Huh, that does sound pretty cool. I realize it's a bit silly, but dumping full bags can be a bit of a pain, especially when the grass is kinda packed in, and doesn't want to come out of the opening. My walk-behind mower is bad for this, it's a smaller opening, into a big bag. But it all jams up, when trying to dump it out.

If you could just kind of dump a big container, into a truck/trailer, that would certainly reduce the handling of it. And it would be quicker. Perhaps you could even just dump it into your normal dumping area.

But I was thinking the same thing, going up inclines in the yard, with a full container, could get interesting.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Back when the 420s and 430s were used for commercial lawn services i am told that they would dump the MCS into a pickup for off site disposal. This is prior to large zero turns and mulching blades. I bet these are easier to dump than either the bag or trailer systems.

·
Super Moderator
31,899 Posts
You will normally see 8 suitcase weights on the front when one of those is being used.

·
Registered
39 Posts
None of the above look anywhere close to the one on CL in NJ that the OP posted about.
The one with the rear Powerflow looks 'well used' to say the least and the one in VA has 1000 more hours on it and is missing the side panels.

There's a pretty clean looking deck over that way that popped up yesterday: JD 420/430 deck in NJ

If someone would pay $1900 for a complete unknown sitting in a field at some auction I find it odd that no one has bought the one in NJ. Has anyone actually gone to see it?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I find it odd that no one has bought the one in NJ. Has anyone actually gone to see it?
Only your friend would know that for sure. I don't think anyone here has bought any of those tractors that have sold.

Different marketing tactics work better for different people, since not everyone thinks the same way. Some people love negotiating, you seem to be one of those people who have no problem "low balling" an offer to see what happens. When you price something high with the expectation that you will sell it for half of what you are asking, you are limiting yourself to that type of buyer, because the others will assume you are way to proud of your equipment and not willing to deal. On the other hand, you could get lucky and have someone come by and give you close to asking price. I generally price at what I consider to be a fair price with some room to negotiate. Allowing room for that allows everyone to go away happy.

I don't know why no one has come to look at your friend's tractor. Clearly he is doing something wrong. It might just be he is in the wrong location and no one who wants one is looking where he is or is willing to travel that far. He is WAY too far for me and I don't want a 430, but this thread is just too interesting to pass up 🙂

·
Registered
39 Posts
Only your friend would know that for sure. I don't think anyone here has bought any of those tractors that have sold.
Not sure who your talking about

I never expect to pay what someone is asking, I would think that most people feel the same way
I think a lot of people forgot how to bargain or negotiate these days.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
This thread is started so long ago, I forget who started it. I think one of the reasons some people put no scammers and no low ballers on their ads is that they got tired of dealing with them. Some people price their item at twice what it is worth, hoping to find someone who doesn't really know. I find those ads sit around a long time. Ads that are well priced are gone quickly. Could the seller have gotten more? Possibly. I expect to get 10-20% off of the asking price, but I have had people come and pay the asking price for an item because they thought it was fair.

121 - 140 of 225 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.