My Tractor Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
This. If I make an effort to sell something, it usually works. Get it to working order and advertise as needed.
For a guy who don't know anything about mechanical things or tractors, fixing even minor things costs money that he'll never get back, he's not likely able to do much to it beyond maybe changing a battery or tire. I think he worked in food before he retired. Local shops want $100 to tune up a push mower these days. Why spend $120 on a battery or pay someone to put the deck on it or pay to get the fenders painted if its not going to sell? In the beginning before he found out it was more than a cheap mower, he did list it for $500 and got no takers at that price for several months, I had thought maybe I made a mistake in telling him its likely worth a lot more and not just giving him $500, but by the looks of it the thing would just sit in my yard not sold the same way. I'd have likely parted it out by now and cut the rest up with a torch for scrap.

He also can't put the deck on it, if he does, it won't fit into his yard, and it would make the tractor completely useless to him that way. At least right now he's able to jump start it and use it to pull a wagon around doing yard work. The deck is super heavy, the two of us couldn't lift it, it took four of us old guys to get it up on a wheeled dolly where it sits now. He also likely has no idea how to mount the deck, its too heavy to just pickup and toss under the tractor and the linkage is likely complicated.
It also won't go on a trailer with the deck on it either, the deck is wider than his trailer too.

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
What kind of battery does it take? I replaced my tractor battery last week, it's a U1 (alternately called U1L) size. I think Lowes or HD showed some, but WM has nothing. Local auto parts stores had some decent options too. I bought it at Batteries Plus Bulbs, the sticker was even June 2020, so it's pretty new. I think they had options starting around $40.

Perhaps a new battery could be bought, but installed in a different tractor, and that machine's old-but-functional battery put in the 430, just to make it ready to demonstrate, without "throwing away" the new-battery cost? I see what you mean about spending $100 for nothing, in terms of buying it a battery. But looking at it differently, if a $40 battery helped make a $3,000 sale, that has value.

I don't mean to sound like continuing to kick a dead horse. But my experiences have been similar to what others have mentioned. I clean up the machine and get it looking nice, taking thorough pictures in a good area. I try to make the ad descriptive and "friendly." I don't point out stuff I won't respond to, etc.

I know what you mean about no-pics or bad-pics sometimes being a gem. My best CL find was a 10,000W Generac generator with a Briggs Vanguard twin. The ad just said generator, and that it didn't run, no capacity listed, no pics. I emailed, and was shocked when they said the size, and sent a pic. Got over there as fast as I could and happily gave them their $50 asking price. It was just dirty. I had it running and making power that afternoon, ended up selling it for $1,000. If there had been even a crappy picture in the ad, or a better description, someone else would have snapped it up. Sometimes you get lucky.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
He said it takes a 22NF Which is the same as my AC916, I know I can use a group 51 too but they're more than double the price. I've been nursing a nearly 7 year old battery in mine because it don't make sense to pay $138 for a battery, sales tax, and core, for it to just there waiting for snow.
The battery in my AC came from a hardware store in PA, I paid $34.99 with a trade in about 8 years ago. Last spring I saw them at Walmart for $48.99. They sold out last year sometime and never restocked. I bought new batteries for one of my work trucks at that same time. The auto battery rack was full. I was in there two weeks ago and they had one low profile car battery on the rack and a sign blaming it on Covid. I guess people are hoarding batteries now?
That 430 has its battery under the hood, between the back of the dash and the firewall towards the motor, there's not a ton of room to play with, especially height and width wise. The 51 size is narrower but longer and taller, which may be an issue on the JD. Besides, $119 plus tax and core for a garden tractor battery is nuts.

I needed a U1R for a Jacobsen tractor at work, I called around and Walmart had one in stock at a store in DE but I wasn't driving over an hour for a battery. Autozone wanted $65.99, Advance wanted $54.99 or $119.99 depending on the amps. Sears wanted $149.99 for a Diehard. No one had any of the lower priced batteries in stock, only the maximum amp, highest dollar versions were in stock. The Jacobsen only has a 16hp Kohler, not a big engine or hard to start, if I could fine a way to put a recoil start on it I would but they boxed the motor in so tight you can't even see it. (GT16). We only have to cut a strip of grass about 80ft long out by the road, two passes every week or so and back in the container outback it goes. I bought it used in 1989 with 200 hours on it, its only got 260 on it now 31 years later.
I gave up trying to find a battery and bought a jump start pack at Harbor Freight for $39.99 with a coupon. If I have to mow the grass myself by hand I will, I'm not paying $100+ for a battery for a mower. I dont think a U1R or such will work in that 430, the battery terminals are different, the hold downs are too big, and I'm not sure a small battery like that would power up the glow plugs, although he's been borrowing my jumper pack on the porch to start it and that's only a cheap HF unit. I loaned him a battery charger to try and recharge the battery in it but it wouldn't take any charge at all, it had volts but no amps, it came right up to about 10.8v but as soon as you touched the key it went dead. It starts super fast for a diesel, most diesel engines need big power to fire up, that little 430 jumps right to life with only a bump of the starter.

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
Bummer. Is there an O'Reilly Auto near you? The store near me has a U1R, 350CCA, for $50. I realize this may no longer be a concern, if you got the HF jump pack. But figured I'd mention it, even if it can only help someone else.

The O'Reilly store nearby opened a year or so ago, I've been pretty happy with them. Selection has been good for me, along with good prices, and useful hours (they were open until 6 on Sunday, vs some other stores closed entirely on Sunday).

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...ped-350-cca-battery/u1ruh/4742396?q=U1R&pos=0

Oh, another in-case-it's-useful thing: I got a solar 10W battery maintainer from Amazon last winter for $28, it's been great. It's not waterproof (but perfect for putting on the dashboard of a car that sits for a while), but I suction cupped it to the inside of the shed window and hooked it to the tractor, it was perfect. Come spring, the battery had been kept charged all winter, without needing to be removed, and it fired right up. The 10W is $38 now, but the 5W is $24:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017K6PH1S

I'm going to try putting my retired car battery out in the shed, to power some 12V LED light strips out there, and have the solar setup keep it topped off between uses.

·
Registered
466 Posts
This is the problem with a $3000 430 that is far from perfect. 1000 hr looks to be in nice shape 455 with an operators manual for $3800 in the same region. Might be a shame to part out a machine like that but...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
$59.99 is nuts for a mower battery, they were $22 at Walmart last summer for that size. But I also notice if i put in various zip codes around the country the price varies by $30. The closest zip I tried was FL. I'm in Southern NJ and North East PA.
I don't think I've ever seen an O'Riley store any where around these parts, the website doesn't show anything within 50 miles, I didn't search any further.
We have Advance, Autozone, and Napa, and one independent about 20 min. away that sells Federal batteries. Up here I'm not too far from the Deka battery plant, they told me that they've been overwelmed lately and are doing the best they can. They also jacked up the prices lately, some battery prices have nearly doubled. Walmart wants $139.99 for a group 65 car battery now. Last October I paid $99 for the same battery for my pickup. Deka wanted $189.99 at their outlet store, but they didn't have any available at the moment. They recently became the supplier for Walmart batteries, and already make most of the Napa and Diehard batteries as well as their own brands Deka and Federal. One local Deka dealer told me he's sold out of the smaller size batteries, he's only got the $134 one in the U1R. Usually Tractor Supply has cheap batteries in all four U1 sizes and group 22, but they haven't had any for a while now. Long before Covid hit.
TSC told me online that they lost their supplier for batteries and were changing companies, (Exide went bankrupt a number of years ago, shut down all their plants, then came back last year and bought out Interstate from Johnson Controls and now owns Interstate, but Interstate is no longer being made by Johnson Controls and the quality took a dive. All the batteries in Advance here, which are supposedly made by Interstate now say made in Israel or made in Austria, or made in mexico.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
This is the problem with a $3000 430 that is far from perfect. 1000 hr looks to be in nice shape 455 with an operators manual for $3800 in the same region. Might be a shame to part out a machine like that but...

That 455 is 2 1/2 to 3hrs away depending on traffic, its a whole different kind of area out there. Its mostly farms and rural roads. While there's no telling what the seller of that 455 would take, I doubt he'd let it go for much less out in that area.
You could probably get the 430 for a less than $3,000, he offered it to me for $2000 but wouldn't go any lower. I'd have had to buy it for $1500 but I think he's got more than that in it

I read soemwhere that the 430 was the better machine, and that the 430 was the last 'real' JD garden tractor.
Personally, I've not run either model enough to know the difference that way but the 430 seems 'bigger' when your driving it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
read soemwhere that the 430 was the better machine, and that the 430 was the last 'real' JD garden tractor.
Those statements are mainly opinion. Both good tractors and very capable. The 430 is longer than a 455. They use the same engine as well. Main difference is in the transaxle and it’s hydraulic capability. The 455 will outflow the 430 by several gpm - important if you want to run a loader via the onboard hydraulics. Foot motion control on the 455 is more desirable than the awkward hand control of the 430 as well. The odd 2000rpm rear pto on the 430 kind of hangs it out compared to the 540rpm on the 455 also. Think of the 455 as the refined version 2.0 of JD’s first Super Garden Tractor - the 430.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Back a ways some one said it would be nice if FB had a hit count. They do. I’ve only sold one item, my AMT 622, it had over 3000 views. I don’t see the point of saying you can’t find or afford a battery for a $3000 machine. I take the little screw on cables off my trackers and put the biggest car battery that will fit in the tray, with new heavy car cables. Do I expect him to do that? No. But just get off the bucks and put something in it that works. I’ve always wanted a 430 and have seen nicer ones for less, and lesser ones go for more. I bought my X540 with 47” snow blower and Cyclone leaf vac for $2500, it’s a 2009. As much as I would like a 430, I’d have to go with the X540, it’s mowing 6 lawns every week now. The 430 is in the collectors market now, so I think there are more flippers actively looking for them than users. The one my friends neighbor had, with a terrible rattle can paint touch up sold for $2800 before I could see it. But we live where most developments are one to five acres, Joe.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You could probably get the 430 for a less than $3,000, he offered it to me for $2000 but wouldn't go any lower. I'd have had to buy it for $1500 but I think he's got more than that in it
I thought you said he had it listed for $500 until you had convinced him that it's worth more than that - so i don't understand why he won't go lower when you said he started out lower...:unsure:

The old saying goes it takes money to make money. If you're not willing to put money into something to sell it then it either won't sell for the amount you want or at all. Either fix it or price it to move. If you go low enough people will drive hours to come get it! Point in case - if it was sitting out front with a free sign on it i'm betting it wouldn't be there any longer!

·
Registered
750 Posts
15 years ago my neighbor bought a 28’ Sea Craft center console fishing boat for $96,000. He used it for two years and his daughter got busted for drugs and got locked up. He got legal custody of his two grand kids and raised them. He let it sit till the leaves in it turned to muck. I helped him clean it out. It actually had Oak trees growing in the muck. He still had $40K on the note. He said he would sell it for payoff. But, you could find one with many more hours on it that was much cleaner, for less. Couple years ago he put cheap tarps on it, they are blown off and hanging. Still wants 40K. It has so much green slime growing on it nobody will buy it.

It sounds like there is more to the story on the 430. If he has too much in it to let it go without a loss, it will sit forever.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
That was almost the story of my chipper, except no green slime. I wasn't ready to let it go for what I thought it was worth, but I also was pretty sure no one else would think it was worth what I did. I spent years debating/ignoring it. I finally, really wanted it out of the way. I had been looking at CL for comparables for years. There are always lots of really cheap small homeowner sized chippers. Rarely, one of the tow-behind style with 12HP engines shows up. Prices were varied by 2X. I waited for the ads to disappear for my window. I then took a day to really clean and restore the machine. I did just use my phone for the pictures, but I made sure there were good pictures. I was asking a price that was reasonable, but not a steal. It worked.

I contrast that with someone who was selling a Cushman many years ago. They were asking $1500 and it was in very poor condition. It might have been worth half that. I actually went to look at it. It looked even worse than in the pictures. He was not interested in a significant price reduction. I saw it in CL for at least a year. I don't know if he gave up, wised up on the price, or found a sucker.

I really don't know what the 430 is worth where you are, but the marketing on it is very poor. It is unlikely to sell for that price any time soon.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Back a ways some one said it would be nice if FB had a hit count. They do. I’ve only sold one item, my AMT 622, it had over 3000 views. I don’t see the point of saying you can’t find or afford a battery for a $3000 machine. I take the little screw on cables off my trackers and put the biggest car battery that will fit in the tray, with new heavy car cables. Do I expect him to do that? No. But just get off the bucks and put something in it that works. I’ve always wanted a 430 and have seen nicer ones for less, and lesser ones go for more. I bought my X540 with 47” snow blower and Cyclone leaf vac for $2500, it’s a 2009. As much as I would like a 430, I’d have to go with the X540, it’s mowing 6 lawns every week now. The 430 is in the collectors market now, so I think there are more flippers actively looking for them than users. The one my friends neighbor had, with a terrible rattle can paint touch up sold for $2800 before I could see it. But we live where most developments are one to five acres, Joe.
He needs the same battery my Allis Chalmers tractor takes, they don't have them in stock, unless you want to pay double three times the price for one from the dealer.
In his case, I highly doubt putting a $150 battery in it will make anyone come look at it or buy it. After more than 3 years, he's not had a single person show up to even look at it, the only sale he made was the extra deck, and from what I heard that was by word of mouth through another friend of his. The guy who bought the deck never looked at the tractor, they never even went back to it or uncovered it. The guy had both decks on a cart. He said he had a tractor, doesn't need another one. He was only after a deck.
I don't buy into the bad marketing part, I sell most of my items with no picture at all, or with a stock pic I grab off the web.
Every picture I've ever posted comes out super dark. The camera in my phone don't have a flash so if its not outside in the sun on a bright day the pics look like night time.
I've also bought hundreds of items off CL that had no picture, its never been an issue. However, I won't drive to see anything without first speaking to them on the phone. If they can't give me a valid phone number, I don't bother. I'm not going to drive an hour or more on an email. I bought a boat last week that had been listed for $3900 for a year, the ad would pop up then go back down and then get put back up again every so often. It took four months to get the guy to finally give me a contact number, when he did it was a FL cell phone number. I hesitated to call it but when I did I found out the guy was local and had bought the cell phone while on vacation in FL.
The boat was 70 miles from home and I had no intention of spending that much on a boat, I was looking for something under $1500 to hang my motor on. A new hull was $3,200. The boat was 10 years newer than what I was looking at in my price range. I made the drive, when I got there the boat was covered up in about 10 tarps, practically buried. I pulled the cover back the boat was pretty dirty, but nothing a stop at a car wash wouldn't fix. The motor, which was only referred to as being a small outboard turned out to be a 2003 Honda four stroke 15hp, which typically sell here for $2500 and up. The trailer was like new. The battery was four years old and stone dead, the old guy probably couldn't lift a new battery in and out of that boat anyhow. I asked the guy when it ran last and he said he had it running two years ago but he had some health issues and can no longer manage to hook up and launch a boat by himself anymore.
He had papers for the boat, not for the trailer, but that's pretty common in NJ. The boat had no damage, didn't look abused, and other than the mildew from being covered up for a few years it looked good. We talked a bit and I told the guy I wasn't too interested in the motor, and that I've been looking for a good boat for a motor I bought last fall for cheap.
He said "Make me an offer, the worst I can say is no". I told him I was only looking to spend $1500, its all I brought with me. He didn't answer me right away but finally came back and told me he'd make me a deal, if I get it running, he'd like to go fishing in it one more time. I had no problem with that. I handed over $1500, and hitched up the boat. When I got home I broke out the pressure washer, a brush and a bucket of dish detergent and gave it a serious bath. I scrubbed it down inside and out. I went over the motor, checked the gear oil, pulled the plugs out of the carbs and found both carbs dry.
I went down to the marina and bought a new fuel hose and primer with two new fittings. got some fresh gas, and gave it a try.. It fired right up, and ran great. Borrowed a battery from a buddy, and we went fishing that day. So far all I've done is change the oil and fuel filter, I bought a fuel line, a pair of dust caps for the trailer wheel bearings, and two new tail lights on the trailer. I kept my other motor as a spare for now. The thing had been listed for a year, plus he had a sign on it for sale, in a busy boating area but no buyers. I called him and told him its up and running, but he said he wasn't feeling well and wasn't up for a long drive to go out on a boat. I asked him how many people replied to his ad or looked at the boat before me and he said I was the only one in over a year on CL and FB to ask about it. He said he had three boats at one point, the other two sold instantly, but for cheap, the better of the three never got a reply.
There's an identical boat to the one I bought down at one dealer listed for $6200 right now, and that one has an older two stroke motor with a rusty old trailer.
If I hadn't gone to see the boat, I'd never have known whether it was a deal or not. His asking price was cheap, but I wasn't looking for cheap, I wanted a steal and got it. I can't see spending big money on something you only use a maybe a dozen times a year.
I feel the same way about a tractor that I only keep because it can plow snow. We rarely get enough snow to plow, plus I've got a four wheel drive. If I need it, its there and it starts with a jump start. I could buy a battery for my tractor, just to have it sit there for the next 5 years waiting for it to maybe snow. It don't make sense. If I found a battery for $50, I may buy one, but not at $100 or more dollars. I suppose my neighbor feels the same way. If its not drawn so much as a looker in three years, at any price, why put more money into it? It may sit there another five or ten years before it sells.
He's also retired or on disability or something, so I don't suppose he's got a ton of extra cash to spend, who does these days. That doesn't make the tractor worth any less.

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
Wow, great deal on the boat! Those kinds of finds are great. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have passed on many tractors because of the pictures, especially when there are a bunch of other tractors in the background. I don't even make contact, even if it's something I'm looking for. If I was looking for a 430 and saw that ad, I would have passed, even though the asking price was within reason. Marketing does matter.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
I thought you said he had it listed for $500 until you had convinced him that it's worth more than that - so i don't understand why he won't go lower when you said he started out lower...:unsure:

The old saying goes it takes money to make money. If you're not willing to put money into something to sell it then it either won't sell for the amount you want or at all. Either fix it or price it to move. If you go low enough people will drive hours to come get it! Point in case - if it was sitting out front with a free sign on it i'm betting it wouldn't be there any longer!

I think when he first listed the 430, he was selling it for for the estate, but when it didn't sell, they were going to take it to auction somewhere and he ended up buying it for something like $1800, that was long after he had listed for $500. I don't think he cared what it sold for then, but after I and a half dozen others told him to look and see what others are selling for, he put the ad back up for more money. I'm not sure how long it was listed at $500, but the pics weren't the same and it was listed in another area. He brought it here after he bought it from the estate before they closed it all out. A few guys he knows had looked at it and said he'd be a fool to just let it go to auction. (The attorney from the estate said they haul all large items to an auction somewhere in the midwest, since the owner died out of state, that state had appointed a legal administrator to oversee the liquidation of his assets since there was no next of kin in that state). I never got the whole story but it went on for over a year. He ended up with the tractor and a few small items that he bought from the estate in the end.

When I look at an ad, if its something I really want, I got look at it, regardless of what they want for it. I NEVER make an offer by email or phone. Even a good pic don't tell the whole story. I take with me what I'm willing to pay and no more.
If its something I want, I make an offer. if not I walk away. I can't count how many times I bought things for far less than they were lsited for. I bought my 2005 Lincoln with 5,580 miles on it when it was five years old. It was listed on CL with no picture. It was for sale by the daughter of the original owner who had passed away a year prior. The car had sat in his garage for that long. The battery was dead, they hadn't found the keys, and the tires were almost flat. It was three hours from here. I wasn't looking for a car, much less a Town Car, but I sent an email asking about the car and do you have any more pics. At the t. ime I knew someone who needed a car so I figured I'd see what it was. About four months later I get a long list of pics of a minty clean town car in my email from an unknown email with mention about it being still for sale. I didn't even remember the one in the ad. The pics looked decent but the car was further away than I really wanted to drive. For whatever reason I had a to go that direction for something about a week later so I called to see if the car was still for sale, and it was. When I got there the car was buried in blankets and linens in the garage, they didn't have the keys and the woman was telling me it had 13,000 miles on it but they couldn't find the key. The car was completely original, and didn't look like high miles but without being able to drive it, I wasn't giving here anywhere near the $14,000 they were offering for a three year old car with unknown miles and no keys. It was going to have to be towed home.
I looked it over the best I could, it didn't show any signs of past damage and there were no dents or scratches. It still had its new car inspection sticker on the windshield too.
I walked out of the garage and told the woman that's unless I can hear it run and drive it I'm not interested since I had to haul it 150 miles home. She said the house was old and it had to go that weekend, what was I willing to pay for it. I thought about it and said I'd gamble $2,500 on it, no more. She told me she didn't know if that would fly with the rest of the family but she's pass on my offer. I left and ddn't hear back from her again that day. The next day I get a call saying that she spoke to her three brothers and they said the least they'd take is $3,800. I said I'd come up to $3000, no more, the car is too far away.
That evening I get a call from her brother, he tells me the car needs to be moved and asks if we can make a deal. To get to the point, we agreed on $3500, and he gets the car to me. The next afternoon, a roll back showed up with the car with the guy following behind. They dumped the car off in my driveway, I exhanged cash for the title and he was gone. I got the hood open, from underneath, when I did I found a piece of tape stuck to the bottom of the hood with the keyless entry code for the car. I put a charger on it, and opened the door. I found the keys on the floor sort of kicked under the seat.
I let it charge for a bit, then gave it a try, it started right up, when the dash lit up it read only 5,580 miles. I've had it now for 13 years, its got just over 22,000 miles on it now, and other than oil changes, a few batteries, and tires, I've done nothing to it. It was like a new car. That thing was listed for months with no takers, it floored me that some used car lot didn't snag it up and flip it. The car is spottless inside and out, and I later found that the guy was 91 when he bought it, and he died less than two years later. He likely bought it and never got to use it much. His kids saw it as some old boat of a car they didn't like or want so they dumped it cheap. The car had a book value of $16,400 the day I bought it for $3,500 on a $13,000 CL ad. All it needed was a bath and a battery, and some air in its tires. If they had put a battery in it, it wouldn't have got them a penny more, no one was beating down the door for it either way. I sold that car four month ago with 22k on it for $8,500. a relative passed away and I inherited their two year old Subaru. I should have kept the Lincoln because the Subaru at 9,300 miles has spent more time at the dealer than in my driveway with dozens of issues. Plus it gets just over half the gas milage that the Town car got but it was free). I'll likely dump it for what its worth and find something else soon while its till only two years old and worth good money. I have other vehicles, I don't have time for one that needs constant attention.

All I can say is that if someone was really interested in something, if they don't make an offer, they'll never know.
Being a neighbor, I really don't want bother with it, and I don't need a tractor, not there and not at my other places. Its too big for mowing what I've got, and I've already got several AC and Simplicity tractors that do what I need.
I'm not partial to any one brand, but it wouldn't make sense for me to buy a JD when all my attachments I own are for AC and Simplicity. Its not like any of the attachments I've got will work on that 430, and the 430 would likely be too big to get in between parked cars and buildings at my place if I did hunt down a plow for it. I'd also have to buy it a set of ag tires or chains. To me, its just mower not so much as a universal workhorse like my AC/Simplicity tractor is.
It needs someone who needs a big mower who has acres of land to mow.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
When I bought my pickup, it was pictured at a junk yard, in front a pile of crushed cars and a forklift with a Cadilac impaled on the front. It was 9 years old with 43,000 miles. Someone junked it for scrap weight. A guy who worked there bought , swapped out the rear axle and all four tires and listed it. I've had it for 11 years now and got it for half of what any used car lot or private seller wanted back then for one with twice the miles on it. Its got 120k on it now and its been one of the best trucks I've owned.
If you ask me, the junk behind it made it look all that much better.

He's not selling the junk, that 'junk' is not even on his property, it has zero to do with the tractor for sale.
Its like saying I won't buy a Ford or Chevy because the ad pictured it next to an old rusty Fiat.
Or going to the grocery store and saying things don't sell for that much around here, you need to lower the price because your in a bad area. Its worth what its worth, take it or leave it.

If I list a $40,000 truck on CL even at half price, and it don't sell, does that mean its not worth anything or does it mean no one has any money. A buddy who passed away last winter had a two year old GMC truck with about 17k on it, his widow put it out on the lawn for $15,000 cash. The truck was $28k new two years prior. She had no clue. It sat there for 6 months without a single taker, they live on a back road, with no traffic, she don't do the internet thing or own a computer and the local paper wanted more than she could afford to run an ad. It sat there till the battery went dead. Another buddy finally called me and told me about it so I went over and got the truck, charged the battery up, and gave it a bath. I kept it here for with the sale sing on it in my driveway for a month, but no takers. CL charges to list a vehicle now, so that wasn't happening.
In one conversation his widow said she's tired of looking at it and if someone offers her $10k for it its gone. Its a 2017 GMC 1500 4x2 extra cab. In all that time all she had was a few used car flippers who offered her $2500, $4000, and a few other low ball offers on a near new truck. I gave it to a cousin of mine who runs a used car lot in Philadelphia, he put it on the lot there and it was gone for $19000 that night. He wouldn't take any money, so I called her and told her she had $19K coming from the sale of the truck. She only took $15k, and gave me the rest, which I split with my cousin and I paid a landscaper buddy of mine go fix up her yard a bit and as well as grade the driveway out a bit. I also had a tree guy trim all the trees there that were hanging over her house.The fact that the truck wouldn't sell for her didn't mean it wasn't worth anything, it meant there was no one who saw it who had any money. If I thought the 430 would sell at my cousins place, I'd ship it there but I somehow doubt anyone in the middle of Philly has the need for a diesel mower.

81 - 100 of 225 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.