My Tractor Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
181 - 200 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
This was down below that tractor inspector posted. 1956 F350 dump truck for $1200? Is that true or an auction. I would go get that. It is only 30 miles away.

I get the same $1234 priced trucks here all the time, none ever turn out to be real.
That 56 looks to have a 1/14 inspection sticker and a 48 hour fail sticker on it from PA, so you know its at least a PA truck.
There was one this morning on FB here, a '70 something truck with a middle of the windshield inspection sticker on it and some unknown area code to the phone number.

Last summer I spotted an ad that was using the pics of a truck I sold here 5 years prior, they had a BS story about it being a one owner truck and that they had to sell it quick because they were moving out of the country. The truck I sold was totaled by the guy's son who bought it the same year I sold it.

Take a look at this beauty! He'll never get what he is asking but it is a beautiful 430.
That's one sharp looking tractor but I don't get the idea of aluminum rims on a garden tractor.
Every tractor I ever plowed with needed more weight not less on the wheels. I was adding ballast and wheel weights just to maintain traction. I think if its in the right area, and the right person sees it, it'll sell but we'll never know for sure for how much.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
My guess is that the odometer has rolled (at least once). It might be worth what they are asking. They say it is operational, but what condition beyond operates does that really mean. But, go look and find out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Also, what is that sticking up through the hood on the one with the snow blower?
Looks like a pre-cleaner like what is/was used on many farm tractors.
I'd bet it's to get the intake higher and draw in less snow.

Probably lots and lots of lake effect snow in that area.

·
Registered
39 Posts
After looking at a bunch of ads and pics of JD 430 tractors I notice that some have the return fuel line going into the filler neck, and some don't? The one in the ad above seems to have the hole just plugged with a bolt like so many others I've seen.
What determined the difference?
Those without the line and fitting all have a Philips head bolt in the hole at the filler neck, those that have the line have a metal fitting and barb with a hard plastic line.
Was it a running change or some sort of recall change?
Most of the later models, after 1989 or so seem to have the hole plugged. What did those do with the return fuel?

·
6,373 Posts
Probably worth it T B
njtractor I am looking for that set up ...are you talking about the one that PA318Guy told us about?...I can't make it out

·
Registered
39 Posts
Probably worth it T B
njtractor I am looking for that set up ...are you talking about the one that PA318Guy told us about?...I can't make it out
The one PA318Guy posted about appears to have the bolt and not the line, but its hard to tell. Usually with the line, you don't see the round silver dot on the neck. Nearly everyone I've seen with a line has had a brass fitting with a barb made right on it and a hard black nylon tube. The JD parts catalog shows a bent steel line and ferule on a flared end.

Here's the parts diagram from John Deere, # 15 is what I was referring too:
(Some have part #15, others just have that hole plugged with a large Philips head bolt and nut.
JD don't show the bolt, but I see more with the bolt than with the line and fitting.)
Not all have the fuel gauge cap either, many I've seen have a plain red fuel cap with no gauge.
The fuel neck also varies, some have a smooth neck with just a hole drilled, others have a boss molded right to the neck on the inside and outside where the bolt or fitting are attached.

Its hard to tell but this one looks like its just got a bolt in the filler neck hole.

I've seen too many with this same type 3/8" philips head bolt in the hole for it to be just coincidence or someone just randomly shoving a bolt in an open hole. I'm thinking it may be a change made to the later model 430 tractors or some sort of service bulletin or recall? I find it hard to believe that so many just happened to find the exact same bolt to plug the hole with. This pic is of one I bought for its engine about 8 years ago. (I used the engine to power a bandsaw mill).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
i buy/sell my items on craiglist, no problem. also use nextdoor.com for sale section
I never heard of that one before.
When I go to that link I don't see anything for sale, just a page that wants me address and email?
I don't even see any explanation as to what the site is or is about.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
The one PA318Guy posted about appears to have the bolt and not the line, but its hard to tell. Usually with the line, you don't see the round silver dot on the neck. Nearly everyone I've seen with a line has had a brass fitting with a barb made right on it and a hard black nylon tube. The JD parts catalog shows a bent steel line and ferule on a flared end.
......................................... .............................
.................................... ..............................
I've seen too many with this same type 3/8" philips head bolt in the hole for it to be just coincidence or someone just randomly shoving a bolt in an open hole. I'm thinking it may be a change made to the later model 430 tractors or some sort of service bulletin or recall? I find it hard to believe that so many just happened to find the exact same bolt to plug the hole with. This pic is of one I bought for its engine about 8 years ago. (I used the engine to power a bandsaw mill).
I can't say I really took notice that close but I think all the one's I've ever seen had the bolt in the side of the filler neck. I thought it odd because I couldn't figure out how the fuel gauge type cap would ever fit, they always have a plain cap and no gauge.

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
I never heard of that one before.
When I go to that link I don't see anything for sale, just a page that wants me address and email?
I don't even see any explanation as to what the site is or is about.
Scroll down, and they have more of an explanation.

It's kind of a very-local social networking site. You just see what's going on in your immediate area, for where I am, it's my town, and maybe a 1-2 town surrounding radius.

It can be a good way to find out about local stuff. Getting recommendations on contractors, etc, finding out about things going on in your neighborhood (car broken into, missing pets), selling things to your neighbors, and so on.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
It must not have caught on here yet, I was able to get in so far to click on a few local towns and there's nothing posted around here.
I don't suppose others here have ever heard of it either.

Offer Up and Let Go were gaining popularity for a while but when the merged, they seemed to disappear here.
The fact that they don't function well from a desktop makes them hard to use, and too many sellers there only want to to text.
That alone rules most ads out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was told years ago by someone from John Deere that little tube is just a tank vent, it was dropped in favor of a vented cap in the later models.
The hole is plugged by a philips headed bolt with a locking nut on the inside on newer models.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I’ll offer my two cents to the OP. A few months ago I had a brief interest in getting a garden tractor to lug loaded 15 carts up a slope on the back of my property and to pull a heavy roller over my lawn. I’m in South Central PA and your neighbors 430 popped up on my CL search. It looked to be solid but then I also noticed a 425 with a new water pump and the metal cam for $1,750...so much less than the 430 and every bit as capable for my needs. Anyway, I think that’s the problem. Newer machines in the same weight class are now selling for the same or less money.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The 425 may be newer, but its a good bit lighter and not a diesel. The 430 is around 1,200 lbs without a deck, the 425 is only around 850 or so. They're very different machines. To me, and a lot of guys, the 430 was the last of its kind, the models that followed were full of plastic and didn't have the same classic John Deere style about them.
The 430 sits on larger tires, is longer, and has a motor that's proven to last and last all while sipping fuel.
The 455 is a closer comparison but still several hundred pounds lighter and a few inches shorter.
I also was never a fan of the rear mounted radiator design on the 455, the 430 puts the radiator out front where it gets good clean air and where it keeps the heat away from the driver on those hot summer days. Not to mention the 430 is easier to work on due to the way the engine compartment is laid out.
Not to mention that the Yanmar diesel will out pull any of the gas motor options and do it with ease. The 430 also just feels like a bigger tractor compared to the newer models, its larger, heavier, and has more room behind the wheel than the newer models, which makes a big difference for guys over 6ft tall. I've used both, and at 6ft 4in tall, the 425 and 455 are cramped at best, while the 430 has plenty of room.

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
The 425 may be newer, but its a good bit lighter and not a diesel. The 430 is around 1,200 lbs without a deck, the 425 is only around 850 or so. They're very different machines.
WOW. I knew the 4xx machines were very solid, but I don't know the subtleties between models, I kind of lumped them all together. But 1,200 pounds without the deck? Man, that is a tank!!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The thing is, the market has spoken. It doesn't want a tank to mow the lawn. There are no more super garden tractors anymore. You have SCUTs now. They are generally even bigger and heavier, come with 2 range transaxles, and loaders.

The 430 is 30-ish years old. That puts it into the classic/antique category. There are people who remember them fondly from when they were new, but they are getting older too. "Kids these days" don't want something that old big and heavy duty to mow the lawn. They want a zero turn. They might also want a SCUT or CUT if they have real tractor needs. That leaves a relatively small market for tractors like the 430. There also aren't a lot of them for sale. When there is a small market for something, marketing becomes incredibly important. Marketing is more than just the pictures and text in the ad. The seller of this tractor appears to be technology challenged. But, the OP has probably done the seller by highlighting the ad here. This has been a very well followed thread. If this doesn't turn up a buyer, there probably really aren't very many people that would ever be interested in it, for whatever reason. I suspect that a lot of it is region. Around here it would have sold within months at the most even with a bad ad.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Many people can't afford a zero turn CUT or SCUT.
A zero turn is a good mower, not much else, most small farm tractors are not good mowers.
I also don't see lack of weight in a tractor a good thing, otherwise they wouldn't make wheel weights and ballast fill for tires. Zero turn mowers also don't do well on rough ground, or hills.

There's also many of us who never need to cut grass, therefore a zero turn is basically worthless. Try putting a loader on a zero turn, or fitting a even a small SCUT into the average garden shed or house garage along with the family car.

I think a lot of what dictates what we can buy new is simply what the manufacturers make the most money on.
I don't see many 30 year old zero turn mowers around, most are dead long before that and not worth fixing up.

When I look at a 455, I don't see it as being as tough a machine as the older 430, most of them I see are pretty busted up, many have drive line issues, most have missing or busted up hoods. The lack of weight tells me a lot about how its made. For me, a tractor isn't something you want them to be saving weight on.

Looking now at the difference in weight, that puts the 455 in the weight class of the older 330 and 332 not the 430. To me it makes the 430 look all that much better.
the rear radiator set up of the 455 also doesn't appeal to me, much like the 332 and other older models, it puts a lot of heat right near the driver's legs. If it were such a great idea, why do larger tractors have the radiator out front?
I also don't see any diesel zero turns for sale in the $2500 range, if any at all. They're only just starting to put diesel engines in them and only in the largest models. I'll be long gone by the time one of those is in the price bracket I'd be willing to pay.

181 - 200 of 225 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.