My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a neighbor who's been trying to sell his JD 430 for three years now, the thing has 1500 hours, runs great, has good tires, good blades, new paint, and a newer seat. He's been asking $3000 obo and hasn't gotten a single person so much as come look at it or make a serious offer.
I see these things listed all over for a lot more money, some in pretty rough looking shape. Did these things fall out of favor lately? When I had my place with 2 acres of grass to cut I'd have given anything to own a small diesel mower.
Did these things fall out of favor lately?
A year ago I actually thought about buying it and flipping it, I'm glad I didn't as he's not had so much as a tire kicker show up to look at it. After three years I'd have at least thought he'd have had someone at least make an offer.

·
3,181 Posts
How is he advertising it? It's a very good machine, and if as stated sounds like a pretty fair price.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
In this area, the 430's are all over the place. I've seen them from the high 2's to the high 4's. As has been stated before, the engine will last for a long time but the other stuff won't. A lot of the old 60-inch decks are on their last legs and people are moving on to the newer tractors. They are great machines but as you have found out, they have lost a lot of their popularity just like the 318 did a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Not sure where in NJ you are. I see lots of nice GT’s for sale in PA for reasonable money. Not fire sale cheap, but reasonable.

Has he tried Facebook marketplace? There is a nice guy on there named Greg Tumblin. Might message him for an opinion on local value.

Also, consider listing for $2800. That small difference could attract more people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
435 Posts
Seems like there are too many 455/X495/X595s getting down in that price range for the 430s to continue to get the money they once did. I looked at a bunch of them when I bought the X595 two years ago and it made dropping everything and driving 4 hours for the X595 an easy decision. That said, if it was my 430 I doubt I'd let it go for less than $3K which is of course why we are talking about this.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
For just cutting grass in the $3K range, a used commercial zero-turn would be the better option compared to the large-nosed 430. I think if it had at least a plow or 3-point hitch, it might get more attention.

·
Registered
360 Posts
A friends neighbor buys and sells tractors. He got a 430 in and had it listed at $3200, with 918 hours. It sold before I could go look at it. He has a 420 also. Maybe two 420’s.

I’m in MD and wouldn’t hesitate to drive to NJ, so not that far apart. I put my junk Gator carcass on FB and sold it fast. Had over 3000 views. Only problem was every time I looked at my phone I had 20 messages. Every one trying to get me to sell it out from under the first guy. Make sure you hit the pending button with the first person you make a deal with, and as soon as it’s gone hit the sold button.

·
Super Moderator
29,910 Posts
In good shape they command about $4K around here. One guy had one for sale for $500 and couldn't sell it, but it was just badly beaten would have cost more to fix it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He had it on CL now for a year, he's about an hour south of Philadelphia.
His old lady had put it on facebook too but after a year it didn't get a single reply.
The facebook deal don't surprise me, I've listed dozens of things there and never once got a single reply from there other than offers from scammers and people trying to help sell your things.
The thing needs a battery, the battery is 6 years old in it but it starts right up with a jump. We used it a few months ago to pullout some shrubs around my house. The thing runs strong and pulls like a mule. Its just too big. He has to move all his cars out of the yard just to get it out of the back yard. These yards aren't made for garden tractors.
The deck is off the machine now, when he brought it home in a van he borrowed they had to take the deck off it. Since it won't fit through his gate with the deck, he's got the deck sitting on a pallet under his porch. The deck needs a repaint but its not rusted out and the blades look new.
What surprised me is that he's not had a single person come look at it, the thing is pretty clean for what's likely a 30 year old tractor.
Its advertised in South Jersey, its been listed since 2017, he upped the price to $3k now I see but still no takers. He told me he'd let it go for $2k cash if I wanted it but I had a go round trying to sell a 140 and a 318 I had gotten when my one cousin passed away, all I got was emails offering $100 for the pair or long drawn out emails on why old tractors were no good. I got a lot of emails saying that if I were closer they'd be interested but they weren't driving no hour to look at a tractor. I get the same thing now with other things I've listed. People around here won't drive 10 miles to go get something. The 140 finally sold to a guy who drove from OH, the 318 went to a guy from PA who drove at least 5 hours to get it and he told me its the cleanest one he'd seen. I think the 318 had about 440 hours on it. Both sold for my asking price but it took over a year to get $1500 out of the two of them.

I've seen other 430's listed, all in the same or far worse shape than my neighbors and all were listed for double what he's asking or more. There's one with a cab listed right now about two hours north of me here for $8500, its got a cab, snow blower, and no deck and 7700 hours on the engine. I'm seeing a few listed for $2000 Firm, not running within 2 hours of here in PA but nothing nearly as clean as the one next door.

I told him he should buy a battery for it but wasn't able to find one at the end of last season, and now no one has batteries in stock with all that's been going on. Only JD has the 22F in stock and they want $140 for it. Its probably just as well because chances are if he bought one last year, it would have gone dead just sitting all this time.

I bought the same battery at Walmart for an Allis Chalmers at work for $55 a year ago but the local Walmart hasn't restocked any batteries since they sold out last season. They used to have a whole rack full of lawn and garden batteries but all that's gone now, just empty shelves for months now.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Found a 430 outside of Syracuse for $4,000. Looks good, 60”. Didn’t report on hours. Another one is listed at $2,500, rougher looking and busted grill. Meanwhile. 420 with front plow, snow thrower, deck and bagger is listed at $4,500, down from $5,000

·
Registered
360 Posts
I went to an auction just outside of York PA last year. I went for a Super rare chainsaw. But, they had a 430 listed, and what had my wheels spinning, was it had a 54” deck. My trailer is only 62” wide and a 60” deck won’t fit. The tractors were being sold at noon. I sat by the JD and not a single person looked at it. I thought I was taking it home. Between 1130 and 1145 four pickups pulled in and those guys swarmed it. One opened the bid at $1000 and in five minutes it was over. The only bidders were those four guys. It went for $3500.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Most people are not using Craigslist anymore. Same old ads over and over, plus scammers.

And the "seller" issue with FB Marketplace is that when your search for a JD 430, Marketplace will also show similar items in the results. When I searched Deere 430, I got a nice 318 with the massive 2-stage snowblower attachment for the same $3K pricetag. This works in favor of the buyer because he/she can easily compare the value of similar items.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If CL and FB aren't any good, I don't know where else he can list it, the local news paper is all but dead and its not really an eBay item, besides, I don't think he bothers with eBay anyway.
For me, if I want something, I look at CL first. In ten or so years being signed up on FB I've not once been able to buy a single thing off there. Either the seller never replies or it turns out to be sold. Its also hard to search. I put in 100 mile radius and get ads from Massachusetts and Vermont versus NJ, DE, or PA. I've got a buddy who buys and sells trucks all the time on FB but he's up in North Jersey near NY. Down here its a waste of time.

Another thing to consider is that FB seems geared more toward cell phone use, a lot older folks don't have that kind of phone. My neighbor has one of those AARP flip phones, I have something similar but a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
412 Posts
In the last year or 2 I have bought much more stuff from FB than CL. I do more buying than selling. I found dethatcher, aerator, sihl chain saw, forks, suitcase weights and probably bother stuff I can’t remember.

They are both different and you need to learn their tricks.

Reactions: B440

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can't seem to figure out why so many people list things and never answer messages on FB. I rarely have that on CL. There's been an add up for a shotshell reloader for a week, I messaged the seller 3 minutes after it went up and again the next day and still no reply, I see the other day the ad is still up with a price drop.
I had a guy two weeks ago with a trailer listed on FB, I emailed and asked for a phone number and where he's located but got no reply, when I emailed the second time three days later the responce was "If you really wanted it, you would have just drove over here and bought it". The ad didn't say where he was, I guess I was supposed to automatically just know where he was? I've even gone so far as 'test' whether or not messages go through by emailing friends who have things listed just to make sure my messages are getting through and they are. But not a single item I've inquired about has gotten a reply. Not even a "sorry, sold it" message, just nothing.

As a buyer, one thing that turns me off on CL is those ads with no email reply, just a phone number. Nearly every one of those turns out to be a scammer just collecting phone numbers. Besides, if all you put is a phone number, then someone who finds your ad at 1am is highly unlikely to call. I've always felt that if your advertising online, then first contact should be via email. Not a call, not a text.
If I'm interested in an item, I generally email with my name and phone number, leaving them the option of calling me or replying by email. I sometimes get the impression some people list for sport with no intention of answering any emails.

On CL I've had a few ads where I emailed the seller within a few minutes of the ad popping up only to get a reply back saying its sold? ....Then I see the ad renewed a week later. When I email back to see if the item is available again I get no reply?

If FB and CL are no good these days, what else is left?

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
wow. kijiji in canada (at least in Alberta) is way better than that. There are some scam ads, and some where the seller only wants calls, but most you can message via kijiji, so each person doesn't even have the others email address (or anything except their account info, and you can control how much info is given out), and generally I only give out my phone number to message people as I'm going over to buy something. And most people are fairly responsive and polite.

But hey, it's Canada. Eh.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Dave, that’s the way Craig’s list is supposed to work. I think sometimes people get overwhelmed. I messaged a lady last week about a bike rack and she told me there were 30 people ahead of me. At least she had the courtesy to respond. I think as mentioned above changing the status to pending makes sense and switching to sold as soon as it goes.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I've always just done CL.

But this year I've started checking FB too, using my wife's account. I find the search to be kind of infuriating. But I've gotten a few good deals already. And when messaging someone, you can at least see if they've read it, etc.

Whereas I'm waiting for a CL reply at the moment, the ad is still up, but that doesn't guarantee they saw my email.

But the FB search, oof. It'll show me results 200 miles away, but then further down show me a result from "outside my area" that's 15 miles away (and I set a search radius of 60 mi).

And forget trying to set a search with Boolean terms or wildcards. You can't do something like

Deere X5* +deck -blower

1 - 20 of 65 Posts