My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cut my first blades of grass today after rebuilding the spindles, wiring work, valve adjustment, new used tires, cleaning, etc, etc. Finally got it all back together this morning after rebuilding the rear driveshaft U joints and welding the yoke to the square stock in the am. Took some doing and really has been a time suck, but finally got to cut some grass. :thThumbsU It did a good job and it really was nice to operate a Gravely again after all these years away from the lawn care service I worked for with the Gravely fleet of mowers. This one's a lot older than those were, but worked just as well, IMO. My son enjoyed sitting on it to.

Attachments

·
Registered
543 Posts
what brand and size are your front tires? how much did ya pay for them? Aren't Gravely's the bomb? lol

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Now that is a good looking operator! :fing32:

Glad you got to get some enjoyment out if it. More good times to come. :fing32:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought a set of wheels and tires on ebay. The fronts are just some Chen Shins, the backs are some nice Goodyear Terra tires. My rims were in such rusty shape that I really needed a better set. Turns out the front rims use a different kind of bearings (tapered and not ball bearing) so I couldn't use them. So I changed one of the tires to my old rim and will change the other later. The back rims were usable and look very nice. I had also bought another set of Goodyears and rims before winning that auction. They have another tread pattern that look like the tires in the original brochures. This 430 came with some, too fat rear tires that just didn't fit properly under the fenders, so either set of these used tires and wheels are serviceable and are the correct size. I'll just have to keep looking for some better front rims.
Charles

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, the Cheng Shins are 16-6.50-8 - original size. I'm going to have to get a tube for the last one that needs changed over. I'll have the taper bearing rims for sale and a set of rear tire chains that came with the used tires I bought on eBay. I don't have a use for the chains here sense we don't get that much snow and I don't have snow attachments. If nobody is interested in the chains, I'll eBay them in the winter months.
Charles

1 - 5 of 5 Posts