My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After going over several machines that were around the price point I was looking for, it came between a 318 and a 425. I really wanted a diff lock so I ended up going with the 425. Machine is a 1996 model according to the serial number and has around 1200 hours on it. Other than the cam (which I hope has already been changed) are there any other issues that I can look forward to? The gauges don't work, but having a father-in-law that knows quite a bit about electronics, hoping we can get them working again without having to buy a new cluster.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have a '98 AWS version with around 1,100 hours on it. Inherited it about 5-6 years ago with 900-some hours. This thing was not well taken care of and was kinda' rough when I got it. It had the engine rebuilt because of the cam gear and the 60" deck had been rebuilt. The things I have done were replace the TDM (time delay module) which caused the engine to randomly die and seems to be a fairly common problem, rebuilt the steering cylinder as it started leaking, and replaced both the diff lock actuator and swash plate seals where they enter the transaxle (again, fairly common problems), and replaced the battery.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not the prettiest, but it should be after I finish. This is going to be put to work, but gotta look good doing the work. Just picked up a tuneup kit that is sold by Deere that has the air filter, fuel filter, oil filter, oil, and spark plugs. It runs good now...should run better after. After it quits raining, I'll probably take the hood and grill out, the seat pan off and pressure wash everything so I can see if and where it is leaking any fluids. I ordered the correct suspension seat frame, not for sure what frame is on it right now but it will work until the correct one comes in. This one was about 400-500 less than others with similar hours on it, the individual had it as a back up to his 455 and just didn't need it any more since buying a newer X series.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,805 Posts
Welcome to MTF BillyP! Congrats on the 425! I've seen much worse condition 425 on the forum getting brought back to good condition. Always good for another one to be saved! Recommend you get familiar with the JD online parts site, had all the parts and everything you will need and do the sign in and orders will go directly to the JD Dealer you choose.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And yes, that is an old 116H I have sitting in the background. I believe that they hydrostat is going out of it since when using it and it warmed up, it would not pull as hard as it should.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks PA318Guy. I've perused the online parts site and it looks good. I'm lucky that I have a JD dealer about 15 min away from my house and they carry quite a few parts for it in stock. What's even more surprising is they have a few parts for my 116H in stock as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Feels good that I'm not going to have to repaint anything. Couple of hours with the buffing wheel and some compound, it's not brand new looking but it has a shine and reflection. Better than it was. I'm just too beat right now and will finish up the side covers tomorrow. Amazing that people just don't take care of the paint on these like you would a car, especially when you pay as much as this one cost new. I have to figure out how to get that "gasoline only" sticker off the back the PO put on so he would mix it up with his 455 he has.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, just got the rest of the parts ordered I needed, right side panel and decal, tail lights, headlight switch, and assorted decals. Good news is, I got the temp gauge working again after taking the cluster apart and doing some deep cleaning. Fuel gauge was a no go though, but the wife has a friend who has a sister that works for one of the JD factories and she is going to see if she can get me a cluster cheaper than they sell for new.....they are real proud of them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts