My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 425 that has been hard to start for a while and now it won't start at all. It cranks good but it won't fire. I took out the plugs and they are black and wet. I am going to put a new set of plugs in tomorrow. When I was at the dealer getting the plugs he said it is probably the carb. He said with the fuel we have today the carb needs cleaned or rebuilt. Anyone else have any suggestions as to what might be the matter? How hard is it to rebuild a carb and does anyone have any instructions to rebuild one? Also, any place to buy a rebuild kit besides the dealer? Thanks in advance

·
Diesel Power
5,340 Posts
You really need to check for spark first based on your description. Remove one plug at a time and ground it's case to frame using insulated pliers, then crank the engine. You should see a nice visible spark arching across the electrodes on each plug.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I have 3 425s Fine tractors.. 2 have loders/scoops on them and get worked regulary; One of the the scoop guy Just died several times;; I took it in front of the shop in the Freshly cut lawn; Opened the hood, and said OH %$#*&@. But what a waste Of bad words.. It took me about 20 minutes Cover the engine Remove the airfilter top of the carb And blow it out with the air compressor. Runs like a champ. She fires on the first turn.. In my proceedure I did not see any need for a rebuild kit. As there was only a bit of dirt that got into the carb, The shafts/bushings are very tight. Just dirty. . Have fun as life is good.. ( when I work I allways cover the Engine so that little part can't dissapier)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You really need to check for spark first based on your description. Remove one plug at a time and ground it's case to frame using insulated pliers, then crank the engine. You should see a nice visible spark arching across the electrodes on each plug.
I installed new plugs and have a good spark. After cranking for a while it finally started. The plugs I took out were black. Only had about 50 hours on them. Its probably running too rich. I'm going to adjust the idle mixture tomorrow. Any other suggestions?

·
10K and Climbin!
12,356 Posts
Adjust the mixture?? I believe that you can't do that on that carb.. It's more likely that the fuel level in the bowl is too high or your choke plate isn't opening all the way.. Get the information I PM'ed ya with and it gives you detailed info how to check and adjust your float.

Another possibility is low compression. Test it with a gauge.. The Kaw's run pretty high (~190 PSI) and check/ smell your oil to see if it's overfilled or gas contaminated.. Fire back with your findings..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Adjust the mixture?? I believe that you can't do that on that carb.. It's more likely that the fuel level in the bowl is too high or your choke plate isn't opening all the way.. Get the information I PM'ed ya with and it gives you detailed info how to check and adjust your float.

Another possibility is low compression. Test it with a gauge.. The Kaw's run pretty high (~190 PSI) and check/ smell your oil to see if it's overfilled or gas contaminated.. Fire back with your findings..
I got a chance to look at it today and it does have an adjustment for idle mixture. I won't be able to work on it until next week. I'll let you know what I find.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I checked the float and it is adjusted properly. The choke is working too. I took the carb off and cleaned it and it still won't start. The oil level is good and it doesn't have any gas in it. This tractor has always been hard to start since new, but now it won't start at all. I gave up and took it to the dealer. I hope he can figure it out. He thinks it is fuel related. It will be about a week before he can get to it. I'll keep you posted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts