My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2001 425 Deere and dicovered that for safety reasons, the PTO and mower shut down when going in reverse. I have a 1998 425 that does not do that. It is very hard to mow my area with the mower disengaging every time I go in reverse. Is there a way I can change the system to stop shutting down the PTO in reverse? :thanku:

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
tucker,

Welcome to the forum! :Welcome1: I had no idea that Deere added the RIO on the end run of these tractors. :( On this forum we cannot discuss disabling safety features for the litigation reasons you might deduce. However, there are plenty of offline resources that can aid you. :)

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I just bought a 2001 425 Deere and dicovered that for safety reasons, the PTO and mower shut down when going in reverse. I have a 1998 425 that does not do that. It is very hard to mow my area with the mower disengaging every time I go in reverse. Is there a way I can change the system to stop shutting down the PTO in reverse? :thanku:
Let me know what you find out I have the same problem with my 425. Send me a message if you get any info:thThumbsU
TO a moderator: Can you send a private message to a person about that safety stuff? without any liability issues ?

·
Jersey Mechanic
1,015 Posts
on many of the newer deere machines the pto switch handle can be pulled up letting you mow in reverse, my 425 does not have a rio, but my LX279 does and is overided as listed above, not sure if it will work on the 425 or not.

Dan

·
Registered
43 Posts
on many of the newer deere machines the pto switch handle can be pulled up letting you mow in reverse, my 425 does not have a rio, but my LX279 does and is overided as listed above, not sure if it will work on the 425 or not.

Dan
MY older 1995 425 does not have RIO however I was looking at the operators manual that covers #070001 and up and found the following.

NOTE: Operating the mower while backing up is strongly discouraged. The Reverse Implement Option should be used ONLY when operating another attachment or when the operator deems it necessary to reposition the machine with the mower engaged.

1. Stop the machine FORWARD travel with attachment engaged.

2. Look behind the vehicle to be sure there are no bystanders.

M71469

3. Lift and hold the PTO knob (A) up past the PTO engagement position to activate the reverse implement position while depressing REVERSE foot pedal slightly.

NOTE: If the attachment stops while repositioning the machine, return PTO knob to the OFF position. Begin again with Step 2 in procedure.

4. As the machine begins to move backward, release the PTO knob and reposition the machine.

5. Resume FORWARD travel. The attachment should continue operating.

6. Repeat Steps 1 through 5 to reposition the machine again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts