My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 425 with a 60" blade the deck height adjuster (knob you turn to set the mowing height) is stuck. My first experience with this tractor was the past winter in which I removed the deck and installed a snowplow. I set the adjuster to the highest level so it would keep the arms up and move the blade angle quicker. This spring I removed the blade and reinstalled the deck. The knob was stuck but after moving the hydro up and down a few times it released and the knob would turn easily in either direction. The mower then went back to a family member for a few months for them to use until moving.

Fast forward a couple weeks ago and finally get it back. I tried to moved the know and it is stuck again. The slop in the mechanism lets the knob move about 1/8" in either direction and then it is locked up. I've spent quite a bit of time moving the hydro up and down while trying to rotate the know and even had the deck off (while replacing some seals in the transaxle) and can't find anything obviously wrong, expect for the mechanism to be locked up internally.

Is there something stupid I'm missing here, or something I'm doing wrong?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The mower then went back to a family member for a few months for them to use until moving. Fast forward a couple weeks ago and finally get it back. I tried to moved the know and it is stuck again.
Was family member tutored in how to use the deck adjustment only in fully raised position? Maybe someone tried to adjust it while it was fully lowered which may have damaged it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really don't think it is a rust problem based on it's behavior. I've never had a rusted bolt go from completely seized to spin it off with one finger immediately.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just had the transaxle out to replace the diff lock seal and should have looked at it then. It was leaking bad when I picked it up so hadn't even messed with the adjuster until after it was back together:dunno:

Was just hoping there was a common problem or technique for this.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is your deck raised up all the way when you try to turn it? I have a 445(bought it new) and it has always been hard to turn, some spots i have to use two hands dont know why.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pretty much tried everything from raising to lowering the deck, shaking it back and forth with the hydraulics, etc... It was the same with the deck removed.

The adjuster is set up pretty high so the deck only moves up and down maybe an inch. It is okay because I like to keep the grass mowed high, but would really like to be able to move the adjuster. Really feels like if I put any more pressure on the little flip out handle it will snap off, but have also tried using both hands just on the knob. Previously when the knob was not stuck you could literally put one finger on it and spin it back and forth easily. It actually turned so easy at first I thought the knob was not connected to the actual adjuster mechanism but confirmed it was.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Loosen the bolts holding the foot pan on and see if it gets better.Once when I had mine off to do some service work I must have had it back on a little crooked and it made the knob harder to turn.

·
10K and Climbin!
12,137 Posts
The other possibility is that the thing is cranked right up and the full weight of the deck is on that and you can't raise the deck to remove it. (To adjust height you have to raise the deck off the setting and adjust.) You really should remove the seat pan as you don't want to replace the adjuster do-hicky. (It's only about 8 screws) and put a crescent wrench on that large bolt that your adjuster turns. Lefty-loosey now! :greendr:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Before you disassemble, squirt some penetrating oil through the hole on top at the shaft which you cannot see. Then turn the knob a little if you can and do it again. Let it sit overnight, try again and squirt more oil. I had a similar problem and fixed it this way. Each time raise the deck before attempting to move the adjuster knob, since the decks do leak down. If you can get it to move, use a heavier oil such as motor oil to lube it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts