My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
595 hours on the clock, seller not sure if that's accurate since they say they've only had the tractor a couple weeks. Said they bought it and it's too big for their trailer (wonder how they got it home then).

Seller says no leaks, PS works, deck goes up and down (does the 420 have a hydraulic deck), everything works.

Pics look good.

Is it worth $1250?

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
That is a suspicously low price for a 420 with such low hours. It is either the bargain of the year, or there is a hidden problem.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Yes, the 420 will have hydraulics. With it smoking on startup it's a matter of time for rebuild. The $1250 is an ok price I think since you will have some future maintenance. I have a hard time believe it only has 590 hours if the motor smokes on start up.

I would go run it and see. If the motor is really strong and everything works as advertised and isn't too beat up then it's a steal. Remember a motor is going to run you 1500+ if you just replace it. Not sure what a rebuild will cost but it will be substantially less if you do the work. From what I have seen a good running 420 will bring over twice that asking price, but it all depends on condition and if it has been abused or not.

If you are handy with a wrench and all you need to rebuild the engine, then you can probably be into this tractor for 2k or less and still be ok with it, should you decide to sell.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got off the phone with seller, he says the transaxle whines when you first start going, but the noise quits once it gets moving, does that sound like a serious issue?

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
S/N is M00420X110893, can anyone determine the year from that?

·
Super Moderator
35,925 Posts
Triple spool of hydraulics, 20 hp Onan, 2 speed transmission, I paid 1625 for my 318 and it smoked a little, still does and now has over 100 more hours on it. Sounds like a good deal at that price! D-Dogg is probably correct and fluids need changed with filters! Hydros do whine just a bit anyways IMO.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'm planning to go see this tractor this afternoon, will have a trailer with me ready to haul it home.

Is the S/N generally located under the steering wheel on this model, that is where the seller said it was.

Anything in particular I need to watch out for on a 420?

·
Super Moderator
35,925 Posts
Probably too late for you but here are some things I would check:

1. Oil, not discolored (milky indicates moisture) and preferably not too old (shouldn't be too heavy of consistency).
2. Air Cleaner - Amount of dirt may indicate no regular checking
3. Pull front grill and look around the engine base for pools of oil (may be gasket leak or oil filter mount not secured properly)
4. Engine should start and run at idle and full throttle without surging (best checked after 10 minutes of mowing if they'll let you!)
5. Check under tractor for belly screen (there should be one) see if it's got a lot of oil on it (might be leaks from engine or hydraulic lines)
6. Check steering for good operation side to side (best done while moving but PS should allow it to be done easily sitting still) look at power steering hydraulics and check for leaks.
7. Check mower for raising an lowering with hydraulics. Should be positive in both directions.
8. If they had any attachments for front mount one and check that other spools work!
9. Transmission:
a. Should not move (creep) in neutral, but can be adjusted so if not too bad not a huge issue.
b. Tractor should move up to speed quickly and not slowly increase speed
c. You should have a 2 speed tranny so change the range and check out both ranges forward and reverse.
10. Lights work front and rear
11. PTO works and mower deck works properly, listen for any rattles or excessive noise.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well... I took it.

Attached is a picture of it on the trailer.
Didn't have a lot of time to run it while looking it over due to having to have the trailer back by 5pm.

Tranny worked fine, no slipping, no noises, jumps right out there.
Deck moved up and down easily.
Lights worked.
High and Low gears good.
Didn't check the diif lock, not sure how I could have without chaining it to something.
Looks like everything was there except the belt covers for the deck.
No rust on the body.
Oil looked good, but it was just changed.
It's a smoker, clears out at any given RPM, but smokes when you put a load on it. Engine starts easily, runs quiet, idles fine, full RPM range was good.

Brackets had been added to the fenders for a canopy.
I have the canopy, had to take it off for transport.

It has a slight creep in neutral, if I move the drive lever slightly towards reverse it goes away.

Engine compartment is pretty dirty.

For the price, I figured worst case I could part it out for more than what I paid.

I'll clean it up, adjust out the neutral creep (can someone point me in the right direction for that), then decide what to do with it.

It's a LOT of tractor - has far more power that I would have imagined.
It makes my other tractors seem like toys!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here are a few pics after I got it home, this is exactly as I got it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A few more pics

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
35,925 Posts
KCav, that is in pretty decent shape! Nick pick up! Yes they are a beast of a tractor and given a lille TLC that nice big yard of yours should be an easy hour or two to tackle! I would do a compression test as soon as possible. I would bet a simple ring job (about $140.00 for the kit) would get that engine back to normal.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was thinking that too - the engine runs smooth, but smokes pretty good under load.

I've never re-built a small engine like this, but I'm OK with a wrench - have done a ton of work on cars - replacing clutches, transmissions, heater cores, brakes, rebuilding front ends, body work, paint, electrical work - not much on a car I won't do.

Now a small engine, haven't really done much with them, rebuilt a few carbs, that's about it. Seems a ring job would be pretty simple, used to watch my dad do them many many years ago.

If I remember correctly, replacing rings was not that big of a job, I know my dad could do it in his sleep.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Found that thread in the small engine stickys.

Great info there!

My next step is to clean everything up, adjust the neutral creep, change the transaxle filter and fluid, then look into what needs to be done to fix the smoking, hopefully rings is all it needs.

Will need a new seat and tail light too.
Not sure what I'll do about the sunshade brackets - it's a rigged deal for sure. The canopy would be nice, don't really like those rigid supports though.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Yeah, those brackets are, ummm, not the most attractive thing about the tractor.

While you're getting the set an tail lights, there are 3 other little items you need to pick up for $12.00

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What would those 3 items be???

1 - 20 of 23 Posts