My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Aunt who was recently widowed asked me to finsh repairing the 420 John Deer my Uncle who died had torn down.
The reason he had partialy dismantaled the engine area was due to excessive vibration. I am more familiar with John Deers with Kholer or B/S,
this is my first Onon. The vibration was enough to crack the intake manifold below where the card attachesThe hour meter shows 1558 hours so it is long in the tooth.
Does any one have any quick ideas of the cause of the vibration, without a tear down of the whole engine????
This is a job I have to do for (family) so I am looking for the easiest cheapest fix.... Thanks Fred.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
With no pictures it will be hard to say...but I had one w/bad vibration and I was lucky as it was excessive dirt in the cooling fan fins on the flywheel and in behind it.... good luck with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey I never even thought of that. I think it has to be more than that since it has been vibrating for a long time. But I will look. Thanks for the quick reply Fred

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
check the wooddrift key in the flywheel , this is balenced to the crankshaft and sometimes it gets sheered a little and cause a vibration. bad timeing between cylinders will cause vibration too.

Question - how far did he tear it down ? if it's apart check the valve cams and lifters for excessive ware.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts