My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 420 that has just a little bit of neutral creep. When in neutral the tractor wants to just barely creep forward. If I pull the forward/reverse knob (not sure what the proper name for it is) slightly down the creep goes away. Not really moving the lever down, more moving it to the right so that you could move it down. It doesn't take much to stop the creeping.

I've got a tech manual coming for it, but if the fix is simple and someone would share what needs to be done to fix it I'd appreciate it.

Any help needs to be pretty detailed since I don't know much about the 420's, yet.

Thanks,

Kevin

·
John Deere 316 Onan
868 Posts
My 316 does the exact same thing. On mine there is a turn buckle to adjust the creep out under the rear fenders, but I don't know about your 420.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
It depends on the serial number. There are a few different linkage setups, but you pull the fender pan and look for a turnbuckle, or it's an adjustment inside the steering tower and you have to pull a side panel. In all cases, you are adjusting the motion control linkage.

·
Super Moderator
32,709 Posts
Put your tractor up on jacks and adjust either linkage till there is no creep in the Neutral position! Takes several attempts since it is pretty sensitive to adjustment!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Make sure there is nothing obstructing the linkage. Mine did the same thing when I first got it, but after cleaning the linkage it sits fine in neutral with no creeping. It was caked with mud/dirt

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Going to take a look at it in just a bit - thanks for the tips.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pulled the rear fenders off and was able to adjust the creep out where the linkage hooks up to the tranny.

Just picked this up last week, it had been sitting in someone's yard for several years.

Will have to give it a good cleaning, years of accumulated dirt under there.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts