My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Rebuilding my First JD GT
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what if any the difference is between a 420 and a 318 drive shaft.

·
Super Moderator
13,179 Posts
Yes, there are a few differences in the driveshafts. The B series 318, P series 318, B series 420, and the P series 420 all had different driveshafts. I can't remember the lengths off the top of my head.

·
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes thank you Mr. B. As I understand it, the B series is shorter than P series and trying to see if there would be any differences in length from a p series 318 and a B series 420. I’m wanting to put a P218G from a 316 in a 420 with a dead B series. I’m hoping I won’t have to buy or modify a driveshaft.

·
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
While I was looking at the available shafts on ebay I noticed two different coupling styles where the shaft connects to the hydro pump. See pics below. Does anyone know if these two different styles fit exactly the same on the hydro pump input shaft? Or will I have to modify a driveshaft from both a P and B series motors to make it work?

Edit: to change from G to B series.

Attachments

·
Registered
998 Posts
1st photo: must be the HD clamping yoke - recommended for heavy duty applications\using rear attachments.
Guess it slides on like original and the bolts/locknuts are tightened (44-45 lbs. torque I think).

92841.jpg 142284.jpg

·
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JDDottie are you saying both styles fit the same but the HD style bolts on tight to prevent it from coming loose or wearing out the splines?

·
Super Moderator
13,179 Posts
Are you referring to a p218g vs p220g? All four shafts I mentioned should be different lengths. Before I left the house this morning I did a quick scan of my notes and didn't see all the lengths in my notebooks.... They are there somewhere.

·
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thank you JDDottie,

Mr. B. Thank you and no I got confused and said G series when I actually should have said B series. Sorry for the confusion

Going back to edit my posts now :eek:

Edit: I was hoping maybe I could use a 316 p218g shaft on the 420 but by the sounds of it all 4 driveshafts are different in lengths from each other so options are either buy one or build one. It makes more sense now when I think about it because the 420 is a bit longer in the front engine compartment.

Thank you.

·
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok moving on to needing a driveshaft brings up another question.

Is there any difference in the length of motors from flywheel to PTO between the P218G and a P220G? I’m seeing several P220G driveshafts from 420 tractors on eBay and trying to figure out if the P220G drive shaft from a 420 will work with a P218G out of a 316.

·
Parts collector
2,770 Posts
Just a thought.

You have 2 shafts, and you need one in the right length. Personally I would figure out what one is closest to the correct length but a little longer and use that one. Figure out what length you need, draw a straight paint line down the length of the shaft so you can keep the U-joints aligned (in phase), cut the shaft down to length out of the middle. Grind a "V" edge on both ends of both halves of the shaft ends. Put both ends across the corner of a bench with the shaft together and the paint line lined up. Spot weld one spot and rotate it, spot again, rotate, pot again, rotate and spot again until you have 4 spots all directly across from each other. Roll the shaft on the bench to make sure it is straight. If so weld it solid and you are done. :tango_face_grin:

just my .02$ but I use what i have if I can before I buy anything.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
The 420 shaft is longer because the whole tractor is longer. If you are going to weld the shaft I recommend using a piece of angle iron to keep it all straight. Do as mentioned above with the "V" groove and then lay both pieces in the angle and spot weld all four places around the shaft before welding it up. It helps to clamp it to the angle to keep it from warping as it gets hot. Info that I have is 316 with B43 is 13 3/4-318 with P series is 15 and a 420 is 18 1/2.

·
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thank you both Mopar and Rudy. I put in an offer for the one on Ebay and was countered but was hoping to get an answer as to weather the p218g and p220g engines are the same lengths from deiveshaft/flywheel to pto clutch. I'm pretty sure I can make the shaft with the ones I have but hate to cut up two shafts that may end up back in the original tractors some day. The one I put an offer on was the HD coupler shaft in the first pic. I also do not like the idea of spending anymore money on this hobby. I need to put my big boy pants on and make a decision.

At this time I'm wanting to shed about 6 tractors and keep only one of each. 140 H3 Patio, 300, 314, 317, 316 Onan, 420 but I really dont need that many. But I'd like to maybe keep one for moving dirt and one for moving trailers and one for mowing. So 3 tractors would be a decent amount to have. I had the deere fever disease but think I'm over the whole garden tractor craze faze of my life.

·
Parts collector
2,770 Posts
The 420 shaft is longer because the whole tractor is longer. If you are going to weld the shaft I recommend using a piece of angle iron to keep it all straight. Do as mentioned above with the "V" groove and then lay both pieces in the angle and spot weld all four places around the shaft before welding it up. It helps to clamp it to the angle to keep it from warping as it gets hot. Info that I have is 316 with B43 is 13 3/4-318 with P series is 15 and a 420 is 18 1/2.
Good one, I forgot all about that. When I did the driveshaft for my truck I used these. https://www.harborfreight.com/1-inch-roller-ball-bearing-67060.html

·
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am well aware of the angle iron trick “thanks for the reminder”. I’m also thinking I might be able to find some DOM tubing that the driveshaft might be able to be press fit into using a 20 Ton HF press and that’s only if both halves of the shaft have the same diameter. Then weld the shaft to the tube and do a couple plug welds on the sides of the tube as well. I know it won’t be balanced like it should be regardless of how I choose to fuse the two halves together which is another reason for me to consider just buying one. Money is always tight though so gotta figure it out one way or the other.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I replaced my 420's spline drive shaft with a clamp-on one earlier in the year. This thread has some of the conversation and a little video of how loose the spline shaft had become, as it was considerably worn. The pump shaft stub was just fine. https://www.mytractorforum.com/12-john-deere-forum/1322177-jd420-drive-shaft-u-joint-replacement.html

Also a little more commentary here. https://www.wfmachines.com/forums/showthread.php/127260-Request-for-photo-of-420-drive-shaft

The new shaft was a great improvement over the old.

Aside from eBay, look at this guy. I ended up visiting and buying the clamp-on shaft from him. He doesn't put all the inventory on the web site, so call if you don't see what you need. https://www.haldemansupply.com/
I believe that he also has an eBay store.

·
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok I have 2x 316 tractors both down so I think I won't lose any sleep if I sacrifice one of those shafts to make one for the 420. I think I'll keep the B48 drive shaft to the 420 just incase someday I find myself getting that thing running again. I dont have any shafts that are too long so I'll have to add material , not take it away which adds to the difficulty a bit.

·
Registered
697 Posts
The Onan driveshafts are 1" outside, and 3/4" inside, so the easiest way of extending one would be to add a piece of 3/4 cold rolled shaft.

·
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you 1969140.

·
Been There Done That
12 Posts
Ok moving on to needing a driveshaft brings up another question.

Is there any difference in the length of motors from flywheel to PTO between the P218G and a P220G? I’m seeing several P220G driveshafts from 420 tractors on eBay and trying to figure out if the P220G drive shaft from a 420 will work with a P218G out of a 316.
That depends on the model numbers. Some of them had the same crank but some did not.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts