My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, granted, I sometimes push my 990 hard, and cut some tall, thick stuff, but I've eaten 2 belts in less than a year, and at 35 bucks a pop, well, it isn't really cheap. I've checked all the pullys and the bearings seem to be not too bad, they spin freely, and there is no noticable play, but they do make a little noise when they spin.

Today I was at my father-in- law's, cutting his grass, since his rider died on him a couple weeks ago. It was pretty tall, and I got quite a bit done, but then I threw the deck belt. I guess no good deed goes unpunished, huh?
Anyway, it's kind of a good thing, because when I had the deck off, i noticed that the rear cover of the gear box was gone...all the screws had rattled free, and who knows where it went? He's going to fab me a new cover in his shop tomorrow, shouldn't be too hard, just a flat plate with 4 holes, but does anyone know what kind of grease is supposed to be in there?...I'm thinking just standard grease should be ok, since it looks like that's what's in there now.

Just wondering what would make it eat belts so fast? The 990 is a heavy duty machine, am I just pushing it too hard?

Also, how much do new blade spindles usually run? if it isn't too much, maybe I should replace them, if you can even still get parts for it.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,231 Posts
So exactly what is happening to your belt ? Does it just come off or is it falling apart ?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it's jumping off, and part of it gets hung up on the drive pully, which then "burns" a thin spot in it. I try to shut the pto off as soon as it happens, but I guess i wasn't quick enough.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts