My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled upon a set of wheel weights and a 42" plow for 40 bucks. The owner said it mounts to the front, not the rear, so I am assuming it's like maybe an older version of this?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07124441000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

I have a new model Husqy GT, should this plow mount directly up?

Also the wheels on his tires were 20" and mine are 23" but I think all the craftsman wheel weights are the same, as the rims are all standard.

Will I have any issues? Or am I going to need to sell this stuff as soon as I pick it up?

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Either way, I don't see how you can go wrong for $40.

The wheel weights are probably different. A 20" tire probably has an 8" rim, where your 23" is probably a 12". The 8" weights are, of course, a lot smaller than the 12s.

Worst case, turn the stuff around and make some profit. Now is the time of the year to be selling plows and weights if you can't use them.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
That plow hangs off the front frame of the Sears tractor, using the sides of the frame. Your machine may have a different frame width, BUT, with a little 'engineering', you should be able to push snow. The good thing about that model in you can leave the plow frame on year-round. The bad is that it is only a couple inches above ground level. My unit hits a walkway when I have to cross it, so I need to plan ahead or get thrown out of the seat.
There are older versions of the blade that use the mower deck raise/lower system to raise/lower the plow blade.
Wheel weights, 2 bolt or 4 bolt? I thought the 23 inch tire used the larger rim with 4 mounting holes or different bolt spacing. My 20 and 18 inch wheels use the 8 inch rim and uses the 2 bolt mounting wheel weights, 30 pounds each.
At that price, if it doesn't fit and if you resell it, you can make a profit at this time of year, and buy the one that is made for your machine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That plow hangs off the front frame of the Sears tractor, using the sides of the frame. Your machine may have a different frame width, BUT, with a little 'engineering', you should be able to push snow. The good thing about that model in you can leave the plow frame on year-round. The bad is that it is only a couple inches above ground level. My unit hits a walkway when I have to cross it, so I need to plan ahead or get thrown out of the seat.
There are older versions of the blade that use the mower deck raise/lower system to raise/lower the plow blade.
Wheel weights, 2 bolt or 4 bolt? I thought the 23 inch tire used the larger rim with 4 mounting holes or different bolt spacing. My 20 and 18 inch wheels use the 8 inch rim and uses the 2 bolt mounting wheel weights, 30 pounds each.
At that price, if it doesn't fit and if you resell it, you can make a profit at this time of year, and buy the one that is made for your machine.
thanks - if the bracket stays on all year, I might as well get rid of the brush guard that's on there now.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Nope.
The push frame is under the front of the frame. You can still bump into stuff with the hood, if you take the brush bumper off. You may not be able to keep the bumper on if there is conflict with the plow turning, but I think the actuating lever may clear.
You can determine this all when you have the actual plow in hand and are starting to assemble.
Some plow frames use the same holes as the bumper would use, so another decision.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope.
The push frame is under the front of the frame. You can still bump into stuff with the hood, if you take the brush bumper off. You may not be able to keep the bumper on if there is conflict with the plow turning, but I think the actuating lever may clear.
You can determine this all when you have the actual plow in hand and are starting to assemble.
Some plow frames use the same holes as the bumper would use, so another decision.
I picked up the plow today, it's already assembled thank god. It appears that the brush guard will definitely need to come off, as there aren't many holes to choose from anyhow, plus the guard has a bulge that would get in the way anyhow. And of course the wheel weights are 2 bolt pattern and will def not fit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As luck would have it, we got 4" of the heaviest wettest snow I can remember (we typically get the fluffy stuff here in VT)

I installed the plow this morning - it fit perfectly and was pretty staightforward - the only real problems was getting at some of the nuts to loosen and tighten them.

Here is what I found out:

1. 100% cannot keep the brush guard on - it uses the same holes as the plate
2. The mounting plate cannot stay on permanently if I want to mow in the summer unless I want to McGyver up some sort of browning shield, since there is no way it can stay on in conjunction with this mount
3. I need a LOT more weight. I have a small residential driveway, and I went nowhere until I cleared some room with my walk behind blower (which wasn't up to the task of blowing this type of snow). Once I was able to get some momentum I could push this snow way easier than blowing it.
4. I need to learn the finesse of blade angling and raising and lowering - my left arm is killing me.
5. I need to evaluate the height of my skis. There was quite a bit of slush left behind when I was done. How high do people here put them?

Overall - very fun - WAY better than struggling with a blower. I ordered some wheel weights - now I need to figure out how to load these tires :)

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Welcome to the achie arm age. Hope you backed the tractor up abit before you tried to lift or rotate the plow.
Whew, glad it fit, just in time, too.
Too bad on the wheel weights. You can always list them on Craigslist and resell. If you need more weight (before filling your tires), get a plastic 5 gallon bucket, punch a hole in it on the bottom over the hole on the rear pull tab, insert bolt and nut to hold it from slipping off, and run a piece of metal banding around the top of the bucket to the bolts under the seat on the frame. Add sand (rocks, cement, etc) , cover with plastic, instant weight and sand it you need to spread it some place.
Experiment while plowing. No 2 storms are the same. Have fun and stay dry and warm.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome to the achie arm age. Hope you backed the tractor up abit before you tried to lift or rotate the plow.
Whew, glad it fit, just in time, too.
Too bad on the wheel weights. You can always list them on Craigslist and resell. If you need more weight (before filling your tires), get a plastic 5 gallon bucket, punch a hole in it on the bottom over the hole on the rear pull tab, insert bolt and nut to hold it from slipping off, and run a piece of metal banding around the top of the bucket to the bolts under the seat on the frame. Add sand (rocks, cement, etc) , cover with plastic, instant weight and sand it you need to spread it some place.
Experiment while plowing. No 2 storms are the same. Have fun and stay dry and warm.
Went out again and did the neighbors drive and cleaned up the mess in front of all the houses in the cul de sac. Toying around, I'm getting the hang of the levers, sometimes it's a real PIA to turn. Fairly easy to move up and down.

I'm going to use this method for tire filling this weekend as I think it's the most fool proof - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Toe8ifXX418

·
Registered
617 Posts
As luck would have it, we got 4" of the heaviest wettest snow I can remember (we typically get the fluffy stuff here in VT)

5. I need to evaluate the height of my skis. There was quite a bit of slush left behind when I was done. How high do people here put them?
If you use your skis, you won't need to clear the snow! :sidelaugh:sidelaugh:sidelaugh

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Loosen the mouting bolts and let it lay flat on the driveway, unless it's a gravel drive. Direct contact will clear the slush but will wear the clearing blade more. A slight slush layer is okay on my driveway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts