My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Is the attachment for a John Deere 42" blade identical between an LX172 and a GT225?
If the blade came from a lx172 it will fit a gt225. I would look for a 48" blade for your gt225. Much nicer and more heavy duty than the 42" blade.

·
Diesel Power
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. Another quastion, this time about a bagger. If I get a bagger from an LX172, what parts if any will I be able to reuse on a GT225? The LX172 had a 36" deck, the GT225 has an older style 48" deck. So right off I'd assume the chute would need replacement. What about the brackets and other hardware?

·
Diesel Power
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the blade came from a lx172 it will fit a gt225.
This is not even close to being the correct information when talking about a 42" blade. I've been through **** and high water trying to make this work...the attachment is not right between the two machines for a 42" blade. (period) I've spent twice the value of the blade itself (on parts) trying to make this work, and it is still not right. My opinion of the advice on this forum is going downhill fast.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
This is not even close to being the correct information when talking about a 42" blade. I've been through **** and high water trying to make this work...the attachment is not right between the two machines for a 42" blade. (period) I've spent twice the value of the blade itself (on parts) trying to make this work, and it is still not right. My opinion of the advice on this forum is going downhill fast.
If you check the compatibility charts in the "sticky section" of this forum the 42" blade is identical between the lx172 and gt225.
It sounds like you have already been to a dealer purchasing extra parts. What did the dealer tell you about the installation?
Did the blade you purchased come with instructions?

·
Diesel Power
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The compatibility section is wrong if that's what it says. The frame with the lift handle is different, as is the length of the lift rod(too short). Didn't need to talk to a dealer as the problems were apparent. I ordered the correct frame/lift handle, then I noticed the lift rod issue.

Edit: Actually now that I think about it I did speak to a dealer. I asked greenfarmparts to send me the correct frame/handle for a GT225. They are the website for Hogan Walker. What arrived was clearly different from what came off of the sellers LX172.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
The compatibility section is wrong if that's what it says. The frame with the lift handle is different, as is the length of the lift rod(too short). Didn't need to talk to a dealer as the problems were apparent. I ordered the correct frame/lift handle, then I noticed the lift rod issue.

Edit: Actually now that I think about it I did speak to a dealer. I asked greenfarmparts to send me the correct frame/handle for a GT225. They are the website for Hogan Walker. What arrived was clearly different from what came off of the sellers LX172.
Here is a picture of my gt275 with a 42" blade. Note where the rod attaches to the handle on the tractor. This blade also fits a lx or any gt tractor with a handle lift. Not sure why you would be having fitment issues. Maybe someone else can help.

·
Super Moderator
17,719 Posts
Depending on the Model of 42inch Blade if it a M02692X GT225, GT235 possible interference blade A-frame lift arm to tractor hood. Bend A-frame lift arm outward to avoid contact with hood. The Compatibility Charts are Right Because You may also Need attaching Parts Which is the case with Most attachments Deere Makes there Usually Not a direct Bolt Up without extra Parts Being added But the attachment is still considered to fit from one series to the Next:thThumbsU

·
Diesel Power
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the information and the post. That was definitely one of the problems I encountered. The lift arm was scratching the hood. The other issue I ran into is documented in another thread here where the OP could not lift and the blade up high enough and also could not lock it in the up position. That is because there is a square steel piece welded to both sides of the A frame on the LX172 hookup. That has to be ground down with an angle grinder. It's really an ugly conversion, and someone without the right tools and knowledge would have a problem with it. I went the other route and bought the right A frame and lift handle for the GT225(yes they are separate on the new configuration) and that ended up costing me a considerable amount of cash paid to mother Deere for the A frame and the lift handle and bolts/nuts. With the 'right' A frame the lift rod is too short to lock the blade up, so I am now cobbling together a coupler with some threaded 3/8 rod to extend the lift arm. I am a bit of a purist when it comes to doing things right on my equipment, so that was my choice. My frustration is obviously with the cost involved and the continued problems as I try to do the right thing. I am just *****'in about it. It was my choice and I'll live with it. Didn't mean to take it out on the forum ...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts