My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my dad gave me my 417A 5 years ago he told me the filter was the same as a Plymouth Automotive filter or something. Does anybody know off hand what filter I can cross reference when I go to Auto Zone?

Also, I have the manual, but was curious if there is anything different anybody would recommend for a machine with 27 years on it here, I'm going to change the oil in the transmission, should I just use motor oil, or is there something better?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Don't use a engine oil filter on it, buy a filter from Toro, they are made for hyd. use, a engine filter has a by pass valve in it, that is a no no on a hydro trans, as for oil, motor oil is fine, I'm little by little switching mine all to full synthetic oil.

·
Super Moderator
17,136 Posts
Correct-amoundo~~
Use the TORO hyd. filter--I believe the number is #9270--right off top of my head,,,,,,,,,Motor oil of 10W-30 will work--I belive about 4-1/2 qts--not quite as much as what manual says--but after changing== run a fee minutes--then re-check a couple times.
Service every 100 hours unless servere service....

Pictures?

glenn

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Super Moderator
17,136 Posts
That is a engine oil filter, go to a Toro dealer and get the filter they run about $10
Correct again!!! That filter (hydro) fits most every Hydro tranny that Wheelhorse had---Pick up two while you are at it--they come wrapped in heat shrink plastic for protection....

·
Old Iron 1%er
876 Posts
Baldwin part number I run on my Jeep (old straight six... oddly same as mopar-designed 318-360 v8s) is B2.

For your application I believe you'd need a Baldwin B2H, H being hydraulic and not having the bypass valve.

I used to run Fram until I had it fail on me, then I ran Wix until I found some of their applications are from China. Now I rely on Baldwin and Hastings filters. (Baldwin and Hastings are one in the same these days, just like Napa and Wix filters)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually ordered one last week, I broke down and ordered it right off the Toro page. I took the info above and researched it for next time. It appears as though a FRAM PH2844 should work. It actually listed the 416H as one of the uses for it. I didn't realize FRAMs didn't have a bypass, is that true? When I bought my oil over the weekend there was a deal where it was cheaper to buy filters and oil instead of just oil. They were out of the size for my Escape, so I have a claim ticket for 2 free Driveworks filters next time I am in there, I believe they all have a bypass so I can't use them for the tractor.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My new filter came, I like having the Wheelhorse branded filter, but I'm not sure if I like it for a $15 premium next time. So I drained the old oil, took off the filter, put the new filter on in all in about five minutes, then spent the next hour and twenty minutes nursing the new oil in waiting for the bubbles to work themselves out. It took just under 4 quarts. I ran it for a minute and the level settles back to perfect. I'm sorta thinking I've got another bubble somewhere that will work itself out with a trip around the property.

Thanks all for the help!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yes it should take more oil, be sure to keep a eye on it, as for filling it, next time if you look down in the big square hole in the fender, you will see two bolts 9/16" heads they holt the fender stand on to the trans, clean around them good and remove one, the oil will pour right in, I just did my 520 a week ago, and 5 qts went in, like nothing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.