My Tractor Forum banner

414-8 Baffling muffler problem

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  pirate 
#1 ·
When I'm running the tractor, quite often, it looses 75% power, and the exhaust sounds weird. Sort of muffled.
When I back off on the throtle, it clears up and runs fine for a while.
I was thinking it might be a sticking exh valve, but I noticed, when the motor is off, and I bang my hand on the muffler, a baffle rattles round inside the muffler. It sounds like it is near the outlet end. I believe it's an orig. WH muffler.
I'm wondering if the loose baffle, could move, and cut off the exh. flow?

I'm very close to cutting the end off the muffler and taking a look, but thought I would ask if anyone has had a problem like this.

The next time it happens, I think I will try to stop and put in neutral, and feel the exhaust pressure, with my hand.

#2 ·
I think you are on the right track. If the exhaust gets restricted, it will kill the power, like the old potato on the exhaust pipe trick.

#9 ·
So, today checked valve clearances. perfect.
So, I cut her (muffler) apart today, and found the bottom half of the inlet tube, which is capped off, on the end, and has a ring of holes around it, to allow exh. gas in, was busted off. Looking in the incision, I could see the outlet tube, which, I think would be blocked by the broken tube, when the tube bounced the right way.

I closed her up, with the wire welder. (see Dear, I did need to buy the welder) No picture of the welding!

10 minute test ride ok. Time will tell.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.